Using contacts from the Telo handset

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
billdelong
Using contacts from the Telo handset

Post by billdelong » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 am

New customer here. I entered some contacts online several days ago but when I try to use them on the Telo handset, it shows 'no contacts'. What do I need to do to have my contacts pushed to my home device and handsets?

Groundhound

Re: Using contacts from the Telo handset

Post by Groundhound » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 am

That feature has not yet been activated.

billdelong

Post by billdelong » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 am

Should I see the contact name when he/she calls?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:49 am

billdelong wrote:Should I see the contact name when he/she calls?
I think that's part of the plan but as of this time there is no interaction between the contact list and the Telo.

trichert

Post by trichert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Boggle .. so there is no way to get my contacts onto the telo handset yet ? that is disapointing ..

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:37 am

True, and discouraging that the Telo doesn't handle contacts yet... I have found, however, that you can dial a number and then store it into your contact list for quick numeric retrieval. There is, as mentioned, no editing feature on the contact list yet, nor is there any way to capture the name of the person whose number you store - unless you receive a call from that person and store it from the call record.

Whichever way you choose, it is cumbersome, poor and surprisingly sub par for a first rate phone service. I have been told this is being worked on...

voipnoob

Post by voipnoob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Ooma users can click the question mark on the contacts page and there is specific information about the improvements that are planned. A cool thing about Ooma is that the handset firmware is updatable so users aren't necessarily stuck forever with features that may seem clunky today. No mention as to whether these features will be free, though.

Unless I missed something, until these improvements are implemented, if you drop Premier after the free trial you won't have Caller ID Name and adding new contacts on the handset from caller ID history (number only) will be pointless. You won't be able to edit the nameless contact on the handset.

Once the improvements are made, if they're free, it sounds like you may be able to create contacts online and push them to the handset so the contact name will appear when they call.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 am

I agree, there is an advantage to perpetually updatable hardware; still, the rollout of the handset should've been delayed until it actually worked. Up front disclaimer: I like Ooma; I will stick with Ooma. But discussing the features of the new Telo handset sounds like a lot of pie in the sky...

Wouldn't it be nice if... I hope this will work when... It should be free when... Too many subjunctives, too much future tense in there.

...ride on...

JTalbert

Post by JTalbert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:15 am

Yes I too am very disappointed that the contact feature is not active yet. I was able to get in touch with people within Ooma and voiced my complaint stating its not fair to the consumer that they buy a product for features, that dont exist, so in part by my pressing they have updated the product features on the website to state the contacts feature will be avail Q2 2010.

I am really upset it will take that long to implement it, but, Ooma has to address voice quality issues first and foremost which they appear to be doing with PureVoice. It will be interesting to see if my voice quality issues are addressed by that, and then after that they can work on the contacts feature.

The more and more I have used the handset, besides it be sluggish and no real contacts, its a nice sounding handset.

Jeff
Jeff
McLean, VA
Cox / Ooma Telo / Apple AEBS (Time Capsule) / Ooma Handset / Premier
CompTia A+ CE
MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise

voipnoob

Post by voipnoob » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Just synced my Contacts with My Ooma. See April 4th release notes in the forum:

Added Telo Handset contact list syncing with My Ooma - To sync your My Ooma contacts, press "Menu->Service Settings->Sync Config"