Best Phone Choice

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
drmlmeier
Best Phone Choice

Post by drmlmeier » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:29 am

I'm currently waiting for my other number to be ported and thought that I'd poll the ooma forum to see what others think about phone choice. My current phones are really crapping out and need to be replaced.

I've been using a 2-line system with fax on the rollover line. My idea for setup would be to have only the fax hooked directly into the Hub, 1 scout for 1 cordless, single-line phone base with 1 extension handset and another scout for 1 other cordless single-line phone base, with or without an extension handset. I plan to use single-line (2 wire) phone cords.

I've read where some people still use 2-line phones with ooma but i don't see the benefit. All you need to do is push "flash" to switch back and forth.

I want all phones to ring with both numbers. So if a fax is coming I can pick up any phone to let the fax take over, as it is set on manual.

I would like to use cordless although not necessary.

I would like to have speakerphone on each base but from what I've found that means also having an answering machine built in, which of course is not needed with ooma. I guess speakerphone option on the cordless handset would suffice.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

drmlmeier

bmice

Re: Best Phone Choice

Post by bmice » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:10 pm

drmlmeier wrote:I'm currently waiting for my other number to be ported and thought that I'd poll the ooma forum to see what others think about phone choice. My current phones are really crapping out and need to be replaced.

I've been using a 2-line system with fax on the rollover line. My idea for setup would be to have only the fax hooked directly into the Hub, 1 scout for 1 cordless, single-line phone base with 1 extension handset and another scout for 1 other cordless single-line phone base, with or without an extension handset. I plan to use single-line (2 wire) phone cords.

I've read where some people still use 2-line phones with ooma but i don't see the benefit. All you need to do is push "flash" to switch back and forth.

I want all phones to ring with both numbers. So if a fax is coming I can pick up any phone to let the fax take over, as it is set on manual.

I would like to use cordless although not necessary.

I would like to have speakerphone on each base but from what I've found that means also having an answering machine built in, which of course is not needed with ooma. I guess speakerphone option on the cordless handset would suffice.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

drmlmeier
i have 2 oomas and have 1 plugged into the l1 of my 2 line cordless, the other plugged into l2 of my cordless. the fax would plug into the splitter provided for the line you want it on and all faxes will be manual. this leaves a scout for each line to have a remote phone, usually best in a corded situation. we have a premiere service on both, but mainly use the scout for the ability to screen our calls and have the added control remotely.

i dont think you will get it to work another way. only way i could get it to work and verrified the setup with ooma.

let me know if that helps. should you need some new cordless or other phone systems....contact me off the forum as i can recommend several products best suited to help mitigate wireless interferance.

thively

Post by thively » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I have used Panasonic cordless phones for many years and pretty much swear by them. Recently I was shopping around for new cordless phones and found the Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone is pretty much one of the best ones on the market right now.
Model: KX-TG9341T
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elec ... KX-TG9341T

It has a keypad on the base so you can make calls with the base as a speaker phone if you have to. It's also expandable to 6 hand sets and sold in 1, 2, 3, 4 had set sets. You might want to consider the 2 hand set.

They also sell a 2-line version of this phone. But it's about twice the price and it has a larger base with a wired hand set on it. I don't really think you need a 2 line phone unless you want to hook 1 up to core and line 2 to the scout, and have the two lines ring from the different numbers. Or if you want that wired handset base.

In addition to my 'research' on these I did bug the phone salesman at Fry's electronics about which model phone had the least returns and customers happiest with, and he pointed out this model. Said he has had the least returns (hardly any) and it was the best one they sold.

I was ready to pull the trigger on this but decided I'm going to wait for the Ooma Telo. Also there is nothing wrong with my current Panasonic previous gen cordless phones. Telo as you may know is the new Ooma hardware. It's basically an Ooma core device with DECT 6.0 wireless phone capability built in to the base. The hand sets have the Ooma core feature buttons right on it (voice mail, trash, etc.) So it should be a very seamless operation, especially with 2 line use.

So I don't know if waiting to Q3 is an option for you. Also it's probably going to be $250 at least I assume because it is a replacement for the Core. That may not interest you.

I was thinking I'd spring for the Telo. Then just use the current model core I have as a 2nd line. Keep premiere on Telo and cut back to free service on Core. Might even take it with me on trips for free calls. Not really sure.

Just food for thought.

bmice

Post by bmice » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:13 am

thively wrote:I have used Panasonic cordless phones for many years and pretty much swear by them. Recently I was shopping around for new cordless phones and found the Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone is pretty much one of the best ones on the market right now.
Model: KX-TG9341T
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elec ... KX-TG9341T

It has a keypad on the base so you can make calls with the base as a speaker phone if you have to. It's also expandable to 6 hand sets and sold in 1, 2, 3, 4 had set sets. You might want to consider the 2 hand set.

They also sell a 2-line version of this phone. But it's about twice the price and it has a larger base with a wired hand set on it. I don't really think you need a 2 line phone unless you want to hook 1 up to core and line 2 to the scout, and have the two lines ring from the different numbers. Or if you want that wired handset base.

In addition to my 'research' on these I did bug the phone salesman at Fry's electronics about which model phone had the least returns and customers happiest with, and he pointed out this model. Said he has had the least returns (hardly any) and it was the best one they sold.

I was ready to pull the trigger on this but decided I'm going to wait for the Ooma Telo. Also there is nothing wrong with my current Panasonic previous gen cordless phones. Telo as you may know is the new Ooma hardware. It's basically an Ooma core device with DECT 6.0 wireless phone capability built in to the base. The hand sets have the Ooma core feature buttons right on it (voice mail, trash, etc.) So it should be a very seamless operation, especially with 2 line use.

So I don't know if waiting to Q3 is an option for you. Also it's probably going to be $250 at least I assume because it is a replacement for the Core. That may not interest you.

I was thinking I'd spring for the Telo. Then just use the current model core I have as a 2nd line. Keep premiere on Telo and cut back to free service on Core. Might even take it with me on trips for free calls. Not really sure.

Just food for thought.
We like the pani's also. The dect tech. is the only way to go if you are replacing your current set. We have sold several of the Single Line models with multiple handsets and the people love them. Panasonic always seems to mess something up on their 2 line or 4 line systems that make them much less attractive to the consumer, they are still good systems though. The telo would probably be the ultimate choice in the end though.

Hail OOMA!

doctormemory

Post by doctormemory » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 pm

4 ooma hubs.
3 scouts.
6 Panasonic KX-TG6702 2 line phones.
1 hub dedicated to the fax machine ( there is a trick to this ).
1 Netware file server.
1 Windows file server.
9 workstations, wireless access points, switches everywhere, etc. etc.
non stop remote desktop in and out.
all hubs are behind the cable modem (not in front as recommended).
works perfect.
voice quality perfect, very minor drop in fax quality with 2 stations running google earth, so we pause when we hear the fax line ring.

was it easy?
no.
but you can get this hardware to do just about anything you want with almost any phone. even works with a KX6060 business system.

prior verizon phone bill, $420 a month.
current phone bill, zero.

its a pretty good system.

bmice

Post by bmice » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

doctormemory wrote:4 ooma hubs.
3 scouts.
6 Panasonic KX-TG6702 2 line phones.
1 hub dedicated to the fax machine ( there is a trick to this ).
1 Netware file server.
1 Windows file server.
9 workstations, wireless access points, switches everywhere, etc. etc.
non stop remote desktop in and out.
all hubs are behind the cable modem (not in front as recommended).
works perfect.
voice quality perfect, very minor drop in fax quality with 2 stations running google earth, so we pause when we hear the fax line ring.

was it easy?
no.
but you can get this hardware to do just about anything you want with almost any phone. even works with a KX6060 business system.

prior verizon phone bill, $420 a month.
current phone bill, zero.

its a pretty good system.

Well said! I agree!
Hail OOMA

BruceG

Post by BruceG » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:08 pm

I'll add my vote for the Panasonic 6.0 phones. Have used various phones and the Panasonic's are great. Keep you eye open because they regularly go on sale. I picked up a four phone set, with answering machine (that I now don't use) for $60 at Fry's last Thanksgiving.

Staples has a two phone set, no answering machine, on clearance now for $23. Probably hard to find, but I did see two at Staples in Morgan Hill, CA yesterday (Sunday 4/19) if that helps.

Bruce

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 am

I have also liked and used mostly Panasonic products for more than 20 years. However, when I was looking for something to attach to my ooma system, I stumbled on a set which is sold under the GE name:
http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/s ... submit.y=9

I have six stations in the system. In addition to having a number of other features, including speaker phone, it has its own internal paging system. Very light... individual unit weighs approximately. 2-3 oz. Lithium battery. Total cost at Fry's was about $130. So far, I am very happy with the system.

Here is another 4 unit cordless Dect 6.0 system from Fry's that looks like a real bargain at $40.00 for the entire set. Even has a hot button to GOOG 411.
http://shop2.frys.com/product/5894203?s ... 20Pod:Pod1

Haven't seen this one up close, but with all the different features it offers at $10 per station, it is tough to beat.

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

mobo333

Post by mobo333 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:32 pm

I've been using the the Panasonic KX-TGA101S w/DECT 6.0 for a couple of years w/o any problems.

I recently signed up with OOMA and my understanding is that in order to use the Scout you need a phone that plugs into the phone jack. The Panasonic handsets don't have phone jacks so you can't use the Scout. Is my understanding correct?

If I wanted to use the Scout, what types of phones would you recommend? It seems that the Scout is not designed for expandable phone systems.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:17 pm

If you signed up for Premier Service, you would want to use the scout for your second line.
You could use another cordless dect 6, they would just transmit on another frequency.

Wayne