Porting pains! - Old number is in limbo...

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
elorozco1
Porting pains! - Old number is in limbo...

Post by elorozco1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Well, I decided to take the plunge and port my old number to ooma. Last Friday, my AT&T phone stopped working. When I called AT&T to see what happened, they told me they had stopped service at the request of the other carrier (ooma?).

I called ooma support on Saturday, and the rep told me porting was in process. Yesterday I called ooma again, and the rep again said if AT&T had disconnected service, it meant they had released the number to ooma, so it would start working shortly.

Well, now we are on day 5 with a disconnected number and nobody has any idea *when* my old number will point to my ooma system.

Has anyone had a problem like this? --- Although I expected the process to take several weeks, I never thought it would be several days with *no* service. The whole point of keeping my old number was for everyone I know to NOT get a "tadadaa -- this number is not in service or has been disconnected" recording. After 5 days of this little message, I'm not sure the 40 bucks was worth it... :x

Luis

wrj

Re: Porting pains! - Old number is in limbo...

Post by wrj » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:21 pm

I did not have this problem. But if I was you, I would get on the phone (cellular?) with Ooma and not let them hang up until you had service. This is not only unacceptable but unsafe. My porting was two weeks past when they told me it would happen. I pressured the CS rep (don't be abusive but be forceful) and amazingly the porting happen about 10-15 minutes later.

elorozco1

Post by elorozco1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm

I called again and at least this time gave me a timeframe -- 2 more days...

Asked to speak to a supervisor, and was told no supervisors were available. Asked to speak to a level 3 tech (who are supposed to be taking care of the porting), and none was available either.

Not getting a good feeling about this one....

WHYGIRL

Post by WHYGIRL » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks for the post. I'm having the same problem although my phone still works with my soon to be old carrier, verizon.

I was told my number would be ported on 3/9. I was told this on 2/11. My number still hasn't ported and no one at customer service knows anything, I've never heard of such poor cs or maybe poor management. Why does a company specializing in communications have such poor communication ? Did I mention that none of my emails were responded to?

Is this a volunteer organization where current members help new ones? How many people work with/for ooma? 3? Oh, well I guess I should feel lucky that my calls are still getting to me. Is that sad or what?

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:07 am

I ported my number in Nov and did not have any problems. I would guess that my number was out of service for less then 5 min's. I would keep calling Ooma. There are more then 3 people working for Ooma, so call back until you get someone who can help. Sorry things are not working well for you. I really like the service and have friends family that have not had any problems. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

ydnar723
Location:Maine...yes that place in between Canada and Boston

Post by ydnar723 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:00 pm

elorozco1 wrote:Well, I decided to take the plunge and port my old number to ooma. Last Friday, my AT&T phone stopped working. When I called AT&T to see what happened, they told me they had stopped service at the request of the other carrier (ooma?).

I called ooma support on Saturday, and the rep told me porting was in process. Yesterday I called ooma again, and the rep again said if AT&T had disconnected service, it meant they had released the number to ooma, so it would start working shortly.

Well, now we are on day 5 with a disconnected number and nobody has any idea *when* my old number will point to my ooma system.

Has anyone had a problem like this? --- Although I expected the process to take several weeks, I never thought it would be several days with *no* service. The whole point of keeping my old number was for everyone I know to NOT get a "tadadaa -- this number is not in service or has been disconnected" recording. After 5 days of this little message, I'm not sure the 40 bucks was worth it... :x

Luis

If your number is currently producing a disconnected message, one of two things happened:
Your number was disconnected in the AT&T network early
Ooma has permission to take the number but has not ported it because AT&T released it early or there was a due date mis communication between the two carriers.

Porting is to be a seamless process between any two carriers, there should be no interruption in service. If AT&T is blaming Ooma then either Ooma has the wrong date for porting or AT&T took your number out early meaning it won't work until Ooma ports it.

I would contact Ooma support and explain to the rep that your number is not functioning and AT&T has stated it is not their problem, have Ooma look into it and if they already don't have permission then Ooma should be able to work on getting your number ported right off.

I do find it strange though, although not mandatory most big carriers such as AT&T will typically verify that the "gaining carrier" (in this case Ooma) did take the number successfully before dropping it off their network to avoid these types of service interruptions.

elorozco1

Post by elorozco1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:28 am

One final update ...

My number was finally ported sometime yesterday. It was 6 days from the time my AT&T line was disconnected until my 'old' number started working again.

After sending my "Letter of Agreement" to ooma and receiving an automated acknowledgement email, I never heard from ooma again throughout the process -- never mind that every article on porting mentioned I would receive an email with my expected porting date, etc. I called their support line a total of three times, and all three reps asked to confirm my contact email and phone number, because they would 'personally contact me' with updates as to why it was taking so long to port the number. I never heard from a single one of them.

My only clue that something happened was the automated email saying my account number was changed (to my ported number).

....keeping my finger crossed that everything works from here on!

Luis

hammerpocket

Post by hammerpocket » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Gee, this sounds familiar. I requested a number port on March 10th. On about the 16th our landline stopped working. (We don't know exactly when, because we were calling out on Ooma, and it's not unusual for us to not get any phone calls for a day. I only realized it after someone got me on my cell.) The really annoying thing is that the caller doesn't get a message that the phone is disconnected, but just hears rings, so the assumption is that we are not home.

I still haven't received any communication from Ooma about an estimated port date. No response through email.

Edit: My landline came back on the 22nd. See post below.
Last edited by hammerpocket on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firetwuck

Post by firetwuck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:54 am

I got my email last Thursday that my number port would be complete. It's now three days later and the temp number is still in place. This is my home office number so it's crucial that it be up. Porting is not rocket science, I've ported cell->landline and back within 72 hours on multiple lines and never seen completion delays like this.

firetwuck

Post by firetwuck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 am

firetwuck wrote:I got my email last Thursday that my number port would be complete. It's now three days later and the temp number is still in place. This is my home office number so it's crucial that it be up. Porting is not rocket science, I've ported cell->landline and back within 72 hours on multiple lines and never seen completion delays like this.
Update. Talked to Brian in Tech Support, they deny sending me an email that stated my port would be done on 3/19, even though I read him the email. He says it will happen on 4/2. We shall see. I feel a small claims court suit being filed if it doesn't. And most of their EULA doesn't apply to me, so they will have to come here to answer the suit.