Dial Tone through out home

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
southsound
Re: Dial Tone through out home

Post by southsound » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 pm

lbmofo wrote:Thank you SouthSound and others for lots of great info.
I think I speak for all of us in saying, you are very welcome!
I have cable internet and now in the process of porting my number from Verizon.

Once port is complete, I plan to disconnect Verizon from the NIB, and feedback my Hub's "wall" + "phone" to the house wiring so that my dish receivers can dial out and my scout(s) can work.
This will work fine as discussed in the posts above.
Since I have an alarm system (with line seizure through RJ-31 I am sure), I need to feedback the signal directly to the alarm or to the NIB.
Correct. Based on your comment below, the NIB would be easiest.
I was thinking about feeding back to line 2 and then connecting line 1 to line 2 at the NIB. That would enable the alarm to complete dialing out during an alarm event even when it invokes line seizure since seizure is done to line 1 only?
This will work fine. See below.
If my logic is correct and I can connect line 1 to line 2 at the NIB, how would I go about doing that? Just connect the modular ports up using a short telephone cord?
The jacks go to the telco central office. The plugs are the connections that go to your home wiring. You could use a male to male connector from the dollar store, but being an old phone guy, I would just deal with the wires themselves. Look for the second pair (probably orange/white) and connect them to the wires on your first line connector (might be blue/white or red/green depending on how the installer wired things. The color may not be the same as appears on your line 1 jacks as the wire you want to connect to goes to your RJ31. Look for the wires that connect to the brass screw terminals.)
On the feedback to line 2 part, I have some wall plates with both line 1 and line 2 ports and some wall plates with just 1 port (connected to line 1 if I plug in a phone). If I feedback to one of these single port wall plates, can I plug in a 2 line "T" adapter and feedback to L2 of the adapter?
You should only have one connection to the line 2 wiring from inside the house - the connection that goes to the ooma phone/wall connection. All phones and scouts connect to the line 1 jacks as they are controlled by the alarm panel. You don't want any phones connected to the line 2 wiring. It is only used to send your ooma dialtone to the alarm panel. The phones and scouts will work off line 1 connections.
Thanks in advance for your help.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am

southsound wrote:
The jacks go to the telco central office. The plugs are the connections that go to your home wiring. You could use a male to male connector from the dollar store, but being an old phone guy, I would just deal with the wires themselves. Look for the second pair (probably orange/white) and connect them to the wires on your first line connector (might be blue/white or red/green depending on how the installer wired things. The color may not be the same as appears on your line 1 jacks as the wire you want to connect to goes to your RJ31. Look for the wires that connect to the brass screw terminals.)

If I am getting you correctly, the female jacks go to telephone company and the male plugs go into the house wiring.
If this will work, I probably just want to buy a "coupler" from the dollar store to minimize any changes to NIB/house wiring. ;)

I am curious....If I connect the 2 male plugs (house line 1 and line 2) using a coupler (male to male adapter), would the line1 and line 2 rings & tips line up? ie, for example, would line 1's red connect to line 2's yellow and line 1's green connect to line 2's black? I guess I am asking if the line 2 plug at the NIB has the yellow and black wired in the middle of the plug (vs red and green wired in the middle of the plug for line 1).

You should only have one connection to the line 2 wiring from inside the house - the connection that goes to the ooma phone/wall connection. All phones and scouts connect to the line 1 jacks as they are controlled by the alarm panel. You don't want any phones connected to the line 2 wiring. It is only used to send your ooma dialtone to the alarm panel. The phones and scouts will work off line 1 connections.

Got you on no devices other than ooma Hub ("phone" + "wall) connected to line 2. I was asking if I can use one of them single jack line splitters and feedback to L2 that way if my hub is near a single jack wall plate. By the way, I've seen them "T" connectors that split to L1 & L2...also seen connectors that split into L1, L2, then L1 + L2. What is L1 + L2?

Thank you.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:30 am

southsound original answer in red below, answers to additional questions in blue.
lbmofo wrote:
southsound wrote:

If I am getting you correctly, the female jacks go to telephone company and the male plugs go into the house wiring.
If this will work, I probably just want to buy a "coupler" from the dollar store to minimize any changes to NIB/house wiring. ;)
Us telco guys don't care for moisture getting into the wiring so I'd be more likely to use gel filled scotchlok or gel filled "beanies" but the coupler will work. I might consider using something like silicone to seal it.

I am curious....If I connect the 2 male plugs (house line 1 and line 2) using a coupler (male to male adapter), would the line1 and line 2 rings & tips line up? ie, for example, would line 1's red connect to line 2's yellow and line 1's green connect to line 2's black? I guess I am asking if the line 2 plug at the NIB has the yellow and black wired in the middle of the plug (vs red and green wired in the middle of the plug for line 1).
The yellow and black are used with older wiring (what we call quad) for the second line. Yes, they will appear on the center T and R terminals of the second line plug in the NIB.

Got you on no devices other than ooma Hub ("phone" + "wall) connected to line 2. I was asking if I can use one of them single jack line splitters and feedback to L2 that way if my hub is near a single jack wall plate. By the way, I've seen them "T" connectors that split to L1 & L2...also seen connectors that split into L1, L2, then L1 + L2. What is L1 + L2?
Some 2-line phones accept line 1 and line 2 on the same jack (what is known as an RJ14) - that is what is fed from the L1 + L2 port. It is the same wiring as the wall jack it plugs into. If you are going to use the splitters, you need a single line splitter to connect up the hub's wall and phone ports to a the L2 port of a two line splitter.

Thank you.
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:39 pm

southsound wrote:
Us telco guys don't care for moisture getting into the wiring so I'd be more likely to use gel filled scotchlok or gel filled "beanies" but the coupler will work. I might consider using something like silicone to seal it.

Oh, didn't think of the moisture problem. How come this is not a problem when the plugs are plugged into the jacks within the NIB?

Thanks for your help. I hope to report success soon; I haven't even opened up my NIB to see yet.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Most of the time the NIB jacks are sealed with rubber gaskets and some even contain some kind of gel.
Lifetime Premier Member

dee7002

Post by dee7002 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Southsound and other experts,

I have Qwest DSL and just told them to disconnect my home land line starting next week. Should I wait until then to try some of these ideas to get the dial tone throughout my home?

Very Important Info: I have the original ooma Hub (white) that I have connected to my wireless Qwest modem and to my ordinary old touchtone phone. I do have a cordless that I could hook up to it, and maybe I just need to buy extra handsets to match it since I really don't understand how to do this wire business. My gray box is outside my house and my modem with ooma hub is upstairs, second floor, not near the window and far from the outside gray box (is this the NIB you refer to, the Network Interface Box that contains the blue and white wires?) Or, can I get dialtone throughout the home by just buying these splitters as pictured and do I need exactly the same kind of splitter for each phone in the house? I have a 1945 house and the electrical outlets are NOT usually next to the phone outlets.

Any help for a newbie is greatly appreciated,
Dee7002

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

I think your home wiring might present a problem unless it has been updated. Back in even the early 50's many telephone companies used a single pair, twisted wiring. That was before modular jacks and the ones used had 4 pins and the plug looked like this:

I am sure that your jacks have been replaced with the newer modular ones - but chances are that your wiring would present a real problem as I assume you are keeping your DSL and just leaving your landline behind. You might want to consider a new set of DECT 6.0 phones. We have wiring in every room in the house (in fact, I've installed conduit stubs into our crawlspace so I can run whatever new cable come out in the next 20 years). My favorite phones are a multiple handset Uniden system - 1580-5 that I bought from Staples for about $80. In fact, it is on sale again with a (bleahh) rebate. These phones offer much more than even the better corded ones - intercom between handsets, shared phone directory, speakerphone in every handset, great range. For me, it is the way to go. I have two of the systems, one for my ooma and one for my landline. I also have some of the corded variety and a couple of other cordless phones. Life would be hard without 19 phones. :P

I think you are on the right track with the cordless ones - but don't be stuck on buying more handsets for your existing system unless it is DECT 6.0. You will spend more money and get less for your dollar - and also might have problems with interference with your WiFi if you are using either 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz phones.

And did I say, Welcome to ooma and to the forum!
Lifetime Premier Member

dee7002

Post by dee7002 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks so much, Southsound. I do already own a V-Tech Dect 6.0 but need three more handsets (since it only came with one). Unfortunately, Radio Shack wants about 30. for each one, :cry: which is more than a whole Uniden system, which I will look into.

I do love have enough phones--I can't compete with 19, though! :)

Thanks again and thanks for the warm welcome,
Dee7002

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:04 pm

I did see a 5 handset Vtech at costco for $79.99 as well.

Depending on what kind of Vtech accessory handset you need, Amazon has them (ones I've seen are sold by The Price Pros) for as low as $14.94 each (~$7 per shipment).

exp_ops

Post by exp_ops » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 am

I currently have an Ooma Hub, with dialtone working to all the jacks in addition to my home alarm.

The reason for the post is I want to make sure it is hooked up correctly. Prior to Ooma I had digital voice service through my cable provider, at the time of install the dial tone to the alarm did not work. Cable company came out and fixed this by bringing out a another jack that was off the orange/white pair of my cabling. I plugged into this with my old VOIP cable phone(now Ooma) and everything works OK I'm assuming they also did some work at the breakout box in my house to support everything?

I assume that the cable guys disconnected everything properly, but do I need to double check their work at the NIB box outside? If not disconnected, and I disconnect should I expect everything to work OK?

Best and thanks,
Matt