What are the minimum speeds for Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dcad100
What are the minimum speeds for Ooma

Post by dcad100 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:06 pm

I just got an initializing problem solved with the help of tech support and now the Ooma works great except it is cutting off on some phone calls and has to be reset after I do a little on the web computer. I'm guessing that the problem is speed because I know I'm on the slowest speed with my ISP. Does anyone know what the minimum upload/download speed for the Ooma to work efficiently is so I make sure I get at least that in my service upgrade with my ISP?

Thanks in advance

Davesworld

Re: What are the minimum speeds for Ooma

Post by Davesworld » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am

Since most consumer internet services are asymmetrical, your upload speed is the only limiting factor at worst. With the standard codec for Ooma, 30kbs is the bandwidth used in each direction. Using fax mode, it's just under 100kbs. The connection speed is seldom the issue with VOIP unless you are doing massive file transfers constantly and your qos is not set to prioritize voip, this is rare. Jitter, latency and packet loss are the real culprits working against voip. It's not uncommon for people to judge their internet connection based purely on bandwidth. 50mbs in any direction would do no good for voip if the jitter, packet loss or latency are horrible. As I linked in your other thread: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html