installation / set up question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
net_tech
installation / set up question

Post by net_tech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:43 pm

I have a Cable modem and a linksys rv042 router. I would like to set up OOMA behind my linksys router and was wondering if anyone can tell me what voice codec ooma is utilizing? The reason why i am asking so i can set up QoS in my router and need to know what i need to set up as the guaranteed UP/DOWN for OOMA traffic. I am not blocking any outgoing ports, but was also wondering if i need to set up any incoming port forwarding to OOMA's IP.

Is there a way to manage OOMA device if it's plugging in to the LAN port of my router?

I have the TELO device
Last edited by net_tech on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Re: installation / set up question

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 pm

net_tech wrote:I have a Cable modem and a linksys rv042 router. I would like to set up OOMA behind my linksys router and was wondering if anyone can tell me what voice codec ooma is utilizing? The reason why i am asking so i can set up QoS in my router and need to know what i need to set up as the guaranteed UP/DOWN for OOMA traffic. I am not blocking any outgoing port, but was also wondering if i need to set up any incoming port forwarding to OOMA's IP.

If there a way to manage OOMA device if it's plugging in to the LAN port of my router?

I have the TELO device
The Telo will work fine behind your router. If you need to prioritize traffic for it, do that based on it's IP address or it's MAC address depending on how your router works. I gave mine top priority since if a call is not in progress it's load on the system is insignificant.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tommies

Post by tommies » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:24 pm

net_tech wrote:I am not blocking any outgoing port, but was also wondering if i need to set up any incoming port forwarding to OOMA's IP.

I have the TELO device
You do not need to do any (incoming) ports forwarding for the Telo. If your router block outgoing ports by default, you need to open these ports for Telo's ip/MAC:
ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
net_tech wrote:If there a way to manage OOMA device if it's plugging in to the LAN port of my router?
You can add a port forwarding in the Telo Advanced page: forward port 80 to 172.27.35.1 (Telo's HOME port ip). After that you can manage ooma from within your LAN using the Telo MODEM port ip, which is assigned from your router. Remember to clear this rule if you move the Telo in front of the router.
tommies

net_tech

Post by net_tech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:23 pm

172.27.35.1 is the IP of the HOME NETWORK port, which i am not using in my setup.
Ooma TO INTERNET port is connected to the LAN port of my router.

Does anybody know if OOMA is usign G.711u or G.729?

net_tech

Post by net_tech » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 am

I got a Wireshark capture of the phone call I made using OOMA. The phone call is 115 seconds long and capture file is 819 Kb, which comes out to be 7 - 8 kb/s. So I am guessing it's a G.729.

I see my OOMA talking UDP to 208.83.244.121 IP in Palo Alto, CA and HTTP and TCP to 38.114.132.204 in San Francisco, CA, but can’t get wireshark to detect any VoIP conversations in my capture. I guess all communications are encrypted.