Trouble with international calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
parsely
Trouble with international calls

Post by parsely » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

I have used ooma for about six months and have no problems to make phone calls until last Saturday. After I dialed the phone number in China, I can heard the message to tell me how much money left and how many minutes I have, then I can hear only ring tone one before it became electrical noise and the phone did not go though. I have no problem with domestic phone calls. Called tech support, need 48 hours for them to do trouble shooting.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

gvkovai

Re: Trouble with international calls

Post by gvkovai » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:19 am

I am having the same problem for the past one week and did not call Ooma yet, but sent an e-mail two days ago, but no response. The diff is: I am calling to india.

fthomasson

Post by fthomasson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:41 am

Are you using a Telo? Ooma rolled out new Telo firmware (35170) last Friday to many Telo users. It did create some problems and they have stopped the rollout process until they get it fixed. It may or may not be your problem. The timing is suspicious. They can roll you back to the previous firmware version if you contact them.

parsely

Post by parsely » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks and I will call ooma tomorrow.

lucheng

Post by lucheng » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi parsely,

I am experiencing the exact same problem that you have, namely, international call would first give me how much credit I have left and then I hear one ring tone and then nothing ... sometimes low volume noise and sometimes just silence. And again I have no issue with domestic call at all. My ooma's directly behind the cable modem and I was calling taiwan and china.

I am emailing their support person and let's see what I get back from them besides the standard reply or them blaming the cable company or my setup...

kierangu

Post by kierangu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:58 pm

I've been having the same problem too for a week. Any answer/solution? If this persists in the next week, I'll return it to Costco.

Ruxrux

Post by Ruxrux » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:14 pm

I've just reported this problem today to Ooma, they gave me a case number and told me that someone will contact me.

Ruxrux

Post by Ruxrux » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 pm

There is now a second version of the same problem. Instead of that single ring with no connection, a female voice says: "Your call cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later".

jimvaughan

Post by jimvaughan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 am

I am seeing the same problem when calling the UK.

Ruxrux

Post by Ruxrux » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Here's what they asked me to do and after doing this I was able to dial Croatia once, but due to time difference I still have to wait till tomorrow to verify that the fix actually works 100% of the time, since I can't call anyone in the middle of the night.

Connect to setup.ooma.com - this gives you your device's setup page. If you can't get to it, connect your computer directly to "home network" port of Ooma Telo. Click on "advanced" link and set the upstream speed to 85% of your upload bandwidth, For example if speedtest.net tells you your upload is 0.95 Mbps, set Ooma upstream to 807. Mine was at 384 previously. Then reset Ooma.
The first test call after I did this went well, but I had nobody else to call at that time, so let's see what tomorrow brings.