True TWO line phone support - please!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
mthomtech
Re: True TWO line phone support - please!

Post by mthomtech » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 pm

I had some pretty lengthy threads on here about the Scout crackling issue, but I am convinced that this was not a uniform issue for all users. There were several folks who had no issue with the Scout sound quality, and my Scout quality would vary from call to call.

We did a lot of testing, but eventually the Telo turned out to better suit my needs. It would be great for Telo to have the hardwired dual line capability, or a scout-like device.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

maplewood

Post by maplewood » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:07 am

Maybe I have a good 2 line solution but maybe there is a better one, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

My Hub is attached to a dedicated phone (for my office, which is where my router and modem sit). I run a regular phone cable from the Hub into my home phone wiring. A scout attaches to that system a connects to a multi handset wireless phone.

The two "lines" are separate phone numbers -- and essentially two different accounts (two different logins at Ooma.com). You can't call from one to the other (a pain in a three story house).

Is this the best that can be hoped for?

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 am

Sort of... I can tell you what I do... It is similar to you...

I have a two-line phone with a corded handset, as well as multiple cordless handsets... This is the unit I have:

http://www.amazon.com/AT-2462-Cordless- ... B000069K25

It doesn't get great reviews...but we like the phone...we have no complaints really... The only one complaint I have is not a quality one, but a convenience one... I have my home office number hooked up to Line2, and I would love to just pick up my phone in the office and have it pick up Line2...but instead, I have to press the Line2 button each time I pick up the handset to get to Line2... A little inconvenient...but overall, happy with the phone...

I hook the hub to "Line1", and a scout located in the same room to "Line2". Like you, the hub and scout are attached to completely different phone numbers... This gives me access to both lines on my wired handset in my office... But also extends both lines independently to my multiple wireless handsets...

And yes, it is a limitation that you cannot call from one of the ooma lines to the other... But because my wireless handsets have an intercom feature, a point-to-point connection between the two people in the house is still possible (including the wired base unit).

Not sure if that is any better than your solution...but it is what I do... :)
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)