Using features via regular phones

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
voiper
Using features via regular phones

Post by voiper » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:37 pm

My Telo is installed where house-wide phone lines connect to the regular land line and cable modem, which is nowhere near any of our phones. Is there anyway to control the Telo from a regular phone? For example, what do I dial to access voice mail?

Thanks for any help!

dtalwar

Re: Using features via regular phones

Post by dtalwar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Just dial the number assigned to Telo from any phone connected to Telo to get to the voicemail.

voiper

Post by voiper » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Are there any *-codes? For example, on our land line (that we plan to dump soon), we can dial *98 and we're in voicemail, *69 to call last caller, etc.

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:37 pm

If you have default to block your outgoing caller ID:
Dial *82 in front any the number you want and the call will be unblocked for that call

If you have default in my to allow your outgoing caller ID :
Dial *67 in front of any number to block your caller id for that call.

Dial *70 in front of any number to disable call waiting for that call.

SUMMARY of codes:
*67 Block caller ID
*82 Enable caller ID
*70 Disable call waiting
*69 Call return

*99 before a fax
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

voiper

Post by voiper » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Thank you!

voiper

Post by voiper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm

dtalwar wrote:Just dial the number assigned to Telo from any phone connected to Telo to get to the voicemail.
I just tried this, and it didn't work. I am curious to know if this works for some but not others, or whether you need to finish setting up voice mail.

When I get a chance, I'll see if it works after I finish setting up VM.

voiper

Post by voiper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I've got voicemail setup. I can now access VM from any phone except those connected to the Telo. Odd.

I can see this being a bit of a nuisance. Hmm...

Am I missing something? It really does seem odd that I can't pick up my ordinary phone and dial up VM.

Edit: Buried in the Ooma docs online is mention of dialing your number. Maybe a fluke from when my account was created. I'll have to give Ooma support a call. Perhaps this is a good test of Ooma before we give the OK to transfer our regular phone number.

voiper

Post by voiper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 am

Being on the phone with Ooma customer service is an interesting experience. He asks a question or two. I answer. He puts me on hold for minutes at a time. Rinse. Repeat.

First he tried to tell me that the inability to access VM by dialing my number from the phone connected to the Telo is a limitation of the device. I tell him the site clearly says call your own number, and that other customers say the same thing.

After verifying VM works from the Telo itself, I'm put on hold. When he returns, he tells me they have almost finished setting up a Telo there, so they can see if they can access VM by dialing, then I'm back on hold. (Hmm... If the test fails, does that mean the situation is going to require a lot more convincing? I start scouring the support section and the forums for information to back up my claim that the feature does exist.)

He's back, and he was able to access VM by dialing from the phone attached to his Telo. (Wheh!) A couple more questions, and attempts to try something on his end, and another attempt at dialing VM at my end.

32 minutes after calling customer service, he tells me the issue has been escalated, the ticket number, that it will probably take 24-48 hours for tech support to fix the problem ("but no guarantees" at least he was honest!), and to expect an email when the issue has been resolved.

During this process I keep wondering if switching to Ooma is a good idea. Rather, I know the idea is good, but the implementation could use a little improvement.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 am

Do you have a landline integrated with your Telo, or are you using an Ooma-assigned number? Are you dialing 10 digits when you dial your own number?

voiper

Post by voiper » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:16 pm

OK, now that I've got a few minutes...
Groundhound wrote:Do you have a landline integrated with your Telo, or are you using an Ooma-assigned number? Are you dialing 10 digits when you dial your own number?
Not integrated, as I wanted my testing to duplicate a total switchover as much as possible before switching over.
I am using a new Ooma-assigned number.
Yes, dialing 10 digits.

Update on the rest of the story...

A few hours after the can't access VM from a non-Ooma phone connected to the Telo issue was escalated to tech support, the problem was fixed. Very cool. I'm not sure my land-line telco can work that fast.

Although I was told to expect an email when the issue was resolved, I never received it. (Spam folder checked.) Today I now know why. I received a phone call while I was out and about asking for the make and model number of the phone connected to the Telo, and whether the phone worked before, etc. Also the message indicated that they couldn't tell whether whatever they did fixed the problem.

So I returned the call via the normal customer service number. (The number on my CID turned out to be Ooma sales.) Very quick answer, and this rep seemed to be a bit more knowledgeable than the one I spoke with before. He also thought it was kind of odd that tech didn't know they had fixed my VM access issue.

Anyway, as far as I can tell everything works. Well run our Telo through its paces for awhile, and if everything continues to work and phone quality continues to be as good as it is, we'll put in our order for number transfer.