home security alarm system and ooma

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
debmc
home security alarm system and ooma

Post by debmc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Has anyone experienced problems when having a home security system installed with Ooma? I had a system installed today and it is working but the installer said that the signals appear to be slower than when connected through a land line phone. My highspeed internet service is Comcast and they tell me that my modem is working fine. Any ideas?

murphy

Re: home security alarm system and ooma

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:01 pm

debmc wrote:Has anyone experienced problems when having a home security system installed with Ooma? I had a system installed today and it is working but the installer said that the signals appear to be slower than when connected through a land line phone. My highspeed internet service is Comcast and they tell me that my modem is working fine. Any ideas?
Did you have the installer precede the central station number with *99 pause?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

debmc

Post by debmc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:22 pm

The installer didn't seem to be too knowledgeable when it came to VOIP, he mentioned DSL and how DSL uses a filter with the home security system, but he said he would research it more.... :cry:

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Wed May 19, 2010 1:08 pm

I had to change 3 settings in my ADT GE Concord 4 alarm to have to dial out successfully to the ADT monitoring center. All the setting are under programming and you will need to have the installer code to make the changes. In addition you have to have the alarm wired correctly to have line interrupt to work.
1. Changed setting in the alarm from (wait for dial tone) to (dial out after waiting a few seconds)
2. Changed the setting in the alarm under (disable call waiting) to use the fax prefix of *99. So basically you have to call OOMA to have them disable call waiting, you can’t just enter a disable code like Ma Bell. So this setting is useless to me except that it allows me to enter the *99. Originally added a pause and *99 at the beginning of the caller center number but that only worked 50 % of the time.
3. Changed the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA- I think that this is was really the fixed it but I haven’t tried it with only this setting.
Of Note: Most alarm systems have a built-in line voltage meter on the phone line. This is why you will receive a message on the alarm when you alarm is disconnected from a phone line. However, the absence of this message DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ALARM CAN CALL HOME, only that the alarm is detecting voltage on the phone line.

To truly test that you alarm can call home you either need to do a phone test from the console or call the alarm company and have them put your alarm in test mode and then set off the alarm. Also you need to do a line interrupt test to make sure it can still dial out after the burglar takes the phone off the hook. Easy enough call the alarm company from your ooma phone and then when the alarm dials out it will have to disconnect you first. Many of the people I have spoken to on this forum who claim to have ADT working were sadly disappointed when then did a phone home test to the central monitoring office. They incorrectly thought that if the alarm is not complaining about not having a phone line then the alarm is working. Good luck and I hope that this helps. It certainly took me long enough to figure it out.

jrf19812000

Post by jrf19812000 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:50 pm

I can tell you the system I have set up in my house. I totally have gotten rid of my landline now that I have switched to OOMA and use DSL. I have my Telo hooked into Uniden expandable 5.8 ghz phones. Running a security system off of the adapter is nearly impossible unless you have a broadband security system. Due to the fact that the providers are never perfect and the Internet does go down at times I switched my alarm system to a cellular linked system which probably will never go down. Well, almost never unless that 2012 thing is true and we switch magnetic poles. I use a company by the name of Protect America which is linked to Alarm.com and I have an app for my Smartphone that lets me arm and disarm via cell. If you give Protect America a call they can better inform you of how this works. I hope this helps! :D

stgeorge

Post by stgeorge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am

Geez- that sounds expensive!?

lhonig

Post by lhonig » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a GE Concord 4 alarm system using Vector security for monitoring and I followed the steps detailed in this forum and it worked fine.

1) Added Dial Out Ooma: Change Prefix *99 (to disable call waiting) Did not add any "pauses"
2) Change from wait for dial tone to wait a few seconds
3) Change the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA

Not sure I needed it but used the *99 prefix as suggested. Not sure why folks specified using *99 as that is for "force fax call", vs *70 which is the star code to disable call waiting which is what I believe we are trying to do.