Poor Grade for Customer Service

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
jena
Customer/Technical Support Failure

Post by jena » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I have had the most disappointing experience with Ooma support. Prior to purchasing the Ooma hub, I spoke to a customer service and technical support rep, asking them if my existing Packet8 equipment would be compatible with the Ooma system. Both said without hesitation, yes.

Buyer beware: Do not rely on Ooma support to help you decide whether their system will function in your home. Not only was I blamed for not saying specifically "ethernet phones," I was given no recourse. Sorry was the answer I received. Ooma should know their competition and Packet8 is one of them. In fact, in their customer satisfaction survey, they specifically ask if consumers have previously been Packet8 customers.

No responsibility was taken by this company, and with deep disappointment, I am left to pay more money to solve my own problem. Thanks to Ooma.

My suggestion would be to improve upon your education and training of your support staff and also your customer service policies. Thank you.

DTMF

Re: Poor Grade for Customer Service

Post by DTMF » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm

I doubt that Ooma's offshore support folks are well-versed in who the company's competitors are in the US VoIP market, let alone their technology.

Hopefully you can get a refund and move on if this is a dealbreaker.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

Leeway

Re: Customer/Technical Support Failure

Post by Leeway » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Double post !!! Ugh

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Compatible can mean a whole slew of things. It can mean it will operate side by side on the same network for one which it will of course. The better question would be whether or not the Packet 8 adapter would work with Ooma. You'd be hard pressed to be able to use a Packet 8 ATA with anything other than Packet 8. It's up to you to find out if Packet 8 equipment will accept sip credentials other than theirs, even when unlocked. There's no way you could expect anyone at Ooma to know anything about whether Packet 8 equipment is locked or not and whether unlocking will still allow one to use Ooma settings when they become available. Ooma support doesn't sell or support proprietary Packet 8 equipment and likely never used any of it. As far as hardware, there's nothing special at all about Packet 8 ATAs. You could get a better one for under 50 dollars just about anywhere that isn't locked.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Please don't post multiple carbon copies of your rant because you made a bad assumption regarding the capabilities of your ooma purchase. The system works fine with all corded and regular corded phones - DECT 6.0 recommended because they are free of interference from wireless networks. Posting the same thing again and again does nothing to promote your cause. It just serves to accent your lack of doing proper due diligence. You could have searched this forum or even the ooma marketing materials to discover what the ooma system is capable of. We're happy that ooma has a great return policy. It will make your exit from the forums rather easy. Bye now.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

grathke

Post by grathke » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:11 am

I am sorry you experienced that type of mis-information. I agree that support should know their competition. Especially if the survey references Packet8. Personally I don't think you made any bad assumptions. We are not all VOIP experts and may not phrase the questions as good as they should be. The mistake, in my thinking was the representative answered without hesitation. To me this shows their lack of knowledge and understanding. if they knew their subject matter they would have asked a few more questions or at least answered that the hub would work with all phones as long as they are corded, cordless and not VOIP from another vendor.

Hopefully after you recover from having to purchase phones, you will find Ooma a reliable service. I'm satisifed with Ooma every day, using a Hub and Telo

Glenn

jena wrote:I have had the most disappointing experience with Ooma support. Prior to purchasing the Ooma hub, I spoke to a customer service and technical support rep, asking them if my existing Packet8 equipment would be compatible with the Ooma system. Both said without hesitation, yes.

Buyer beware: Do not rely on Ooma support to help you decide whether their system will function in your home. Not only was I blamed for not saying specifically "ethernet phones," I was given no recourse. Sorry was the answer I received. Ooma should know their competition and Packet8 is one of them. In fact, in their customer satisfaction survey, they specifically ask if consumers have previously been Packet8 customers.

No responsibility was taken by this company, and with deep disappointment, I am left to pay more money to solve my own problem. Thanks to Ooma.

My suggestion would be to improve upon your education and training of your support staff and also your customer service policies. Thank you.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Ditto to what Davesworld said - can you please describe what issue you are experiencing? Other VoIP ATAs and software clients like Skype should work fine with an Ooma installed in the network (either in parallel or behind it).

Also, are you a packet8 residential or virtual office customer?
Davesworld wrote:Compatible can mean a whole slew of things...
Bobby B

amoney

Post by amoney » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:57 pm

jena wrote:I have had the most disappointing experience with Ooma support. Prior to purchasing the Ooma hub, I spoke to a customer service and technical support rep, asking them if my existing Packet8 equipment would be compatible with the Ooma system. Both said without hesitation, yes.

Why on earth would you think IP phones would be compatable with Ooma? Its as if you never looked at the product and just blindly called a script operator and asked if your existing "phones" made by packet8 work... so the operator hears "phones" and says yeah Ooma works with "phones".

Do you ever accept responsibilty or do you expect everyone to hold your hand. I obviously think you blew it this time.

Just my .02
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

lacaco

Post by lacaco » Wed May 19, 2010 6:57 am

Last night a "Supposed Supervisor" told me that they will pull up tapes of the sales person that I spoke with and "have her fired" right!!! :? Because I was told that 1. porting my # will take less than a day (from vonage) 2. their customer support center is right here in the US. I am very upset at the rude customer support people that I have spoken to and have been a customer for less than a day!!!

Larry

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 am

lacaco wrote:Last night a "Supposed Supervisor" told me that they will pull up tapes of the sales person that I spoke with and "have her fired" right!!! :? Because I was told that 1. porting my # will take less than a day (from vonage) 2. their customer support center is right here in the US. I am very upset at the rude customer support people that I have spoken to and have been a customer for less than a day!!!

Larry
My port from Vonage took 3 weeks.
First level customer support is in the Philippines.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx