Panasonic cordless incompatible

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
wordpainter
Panasonic cordless incompatible

Post by wordpainter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:12 am

Our Panasonic cordless base with answerer (model number KX-TG1032S) is not compatible with our Telo. Callers are unable to leave messages. Turning the Panasonic answerer off makes no difference; also makes no difference which device is programmed with the fewest rings.

I’ve been on the phone with Ooma support about this several times, and they seem to be as baffled as I am. Best they can come up with is to “disable” the Panasonic base, which isn’t an option listed in the manual.

Two more facts: we have retained our land line with the same phone number as the Telo; with a plain non-cordless phone connected to the Telo, the Telo picks up and takes messages just fine.

Panasonic sells cordless phone systems that don’t have an answerer and I’m guessing that would work, but I balk at buying a new system when we already have one.

Anybody out there using a Panasonic cordless with a Telo? Which Panasonic, and what did you do, if anything, to get things working right? Anybody know how to “disable” the Panasonic answerer?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

hpepper

Re: Panasonic cordless incompatible

Post by hpepper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 am

wordpainter wrote:Our Panasonic cordless base with answerer (model number KX-TG1032S) is not compatible with our Telo. Callers are unable to leave messages. Turning the Panasonic answerer off makes no difference; also makes no difference which device is programmed with the fewest rings.

I’ve been on the phone with Ooma support about this several times, and they seem to be as baffled as I am. Best they can come up with is to “disable” the Panasonic base, which isn’t an option listed in the manual.

Two more facts: we have retained our land line with the same phone number as the Telo; with a plain non-cordless phone connected to the Telo, the Telo picks up and takes messages just fine.

Panasonic sells cordless phone systems that don’t have an answerer and I’m guessing that would work, but I balk at buying a new system when we already have one.

Anybody out there using a Panasonic cordless with a Telo? Which Panasonic, and what did you do, if anything, to get things working right? Anybody know how to “disable” the Panasonic answerer?

I own the Panasonic KX-TG9344, which has an answering machine and 4 Dect 6 wireless handsets. I am able to turn off the answering machine by buttons on the main Panasonic console. Then my calls all go to the Telo VM just fine.

What happens on your system when you turn off the answering machine part of the Panasonic system? Does it just ring and ring continuously without the Telo ever picking up on VM?

highq

Post by highq » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:38 am

I have a KX-TG1033S, which I believe is identical to the OP's KX-TG1032S but with one additional handset. I used it from day one with an integrated landline to my Telo, and continue to use it since porting my landline to Ooma; while I had a few setup and upgrade problems, none of them had anything to do with my Panasonic base station.

wordpainter

Post by wordpainter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:31 am

What happens on your system when you turn off the answering machine part of the Panasonic system? Does it just ring and ring continuously without the Telo ever picking up on VM?
Turn off the base answerer, the Telo picks up but no message recorded. Change the number of rings so the base picks up, ditto. At one point they were both picking with the same result. When I see the quote below I have to think something is out of wack either with the Telo or the base. Maybe I'll see what Panasonic has to say.
I have a KX-TG1033S, which I believe is identical to the OP's KX-TG1032S but with one additional handset. I used it from day one with an integrated landline to my Telo, and continue to use it since porting my landline to Ooma; while I had a few setup and upgrade problems, none of them had anything to do with my Panasonic base station.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 am

wordpainter wrote:Our Panasonic cordless base with answerer (model number KX-TG1032S) is not compatible with our Telo. Callers are unable to leave messages. Turning the Panasonic answerer off makes no difference; also makes no difference which device is programmed with the fewest rings.

Just to make sure you have things connected correctly, let me ask what may seem like a silly question: What do you have the Panasonic base plugged into? It should be plugged into the PHONE port of the Telo. If it is plugged into a wall jack in your home then it is picking up dialtone directly from your telco central office.

When you say that you have retained the landline with the same number as the Telo, that tells me that you chose to integrate your landline with the Telo. For the life of me, I have never understood any advantage to this configuration. I have a landline also - but I kept mine separate for use as a power-failure backup or in case the Internet is down. I really didn't care to keep my old number - but if that was important to me, I could have just purchased call forwarding from Qwest (my local telco) and forwarded the landline to my new ooma number. There are many advantages to this - including the fact that you get all the ooma features - some of which are not available with an integrated landline. Of course, some advanced features require Premier, but you can read the ooma marketing stuff for a description of that.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

danlau

Post by danlau » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm

I have a Panasonic KX-TG9345 PK. It has a base station answering machine, and 5 headsets. I have a TELO base and an additional TELO headset. All I did was turn off the answering machine on the Panasonic, and everything works like a charm, including the voice call announcements from the Panasonic. I can still use the phone book from the Panasonic base to make outbound calls. I am a Premier member only because I have two lines. I have the second line for my faxes. Incoming and out bound faxes work fine with my TELO once I figured out how to set it up.

wordpainter

Post by wordpainter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Just to make sure you have things connected correctly, let me ask what may seem like a silly question: What do you have the Panasonic base plugged into? It should be plugged into the PHONE port of the Telo. If it is plugged into a wall jack in your home then it is picking up dialtone directly from your telco central office.

When you say that you have retained the landline with the same number as the Telo, that tells me that you chose to integrate your landline with the Telo. For the life of me, I have never understood any advantage to this configuration.
Southsound, the telo is connected correctly. With a plain non-cordless phone, everything works just fine. The Telo picks up and records messages. With the Panasonic base, everything goes haywire. Any number of people use a Panasonic cordless system with their ooma device with no problem, so I have to assume (A) that this Telo is defective or (B) that this base is either defective or simply incompatible. I can buy a new Panasonic system without answerer and see if that works, but if it doesn't I have to return both the Telo and the cordless system. It just gets to the point where you say, "enough."

Having seen many reports of people having bad experiences with VOIP, I decided to keep the landline while we see how this works out. It isn't working out.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 pm

wordpainter wrote:Having seen many reports of people having bad experiences with VOIP, I decided to keep the landline while we see how this works out. It isn't working out.
Unfortunately, since your landline is still supplying all incoming calls, you won't know much about incoming call quality until after you have already ported your number. That is one of the reasons I prefer not to integrate the landline. When the unit is in standalone mode with a new ooma number, you can see if it will really work for your needs.

As to my question about connection, some have done it incorrectly in the past so I just wanted to rule out the obvious. I'm sorry things are not working out well with the Panny. I ended up buying two of the Uniden DECT 6.0 5-handset systems so I really can't comment on Panasonic compatibility - but many on the forum have had no problems with their particular model.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.