ATT DSL

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
ATT DSL

Post by 6507267265 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:41 pm

I can't get my new unit (April 10 2010) to work. I have ATT DSL and a single pair phone line.

I haven't gotten to the point I can plug in a phone.

When I connect the cables to modem/telo/computer, either the computer internet works and the telo doesn't (as shown by no lights on), or vice versa...not both at once.

By my computer screen, the internet intermittently logs off and on with no prompting by me.

Any suggestions before I take this back to Fry's?

TM

murphy

Re: ATT DSL

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:26 am

6507267265 wrote:I can't get my new unit (April 10 2010) to work. I have ATT DSL and a single pair phone line.

I haven't gotten to the point I can plug in a phone.

When I connect the cables to modem/telo/computer, either the computer internet works and the telo doesn't (as shown by no lights on), or vice versa...not both at once.

By my computer screen, the internet intermittently logs off and on with no prompting by me.

Any suggestions before I take this back to Fry's?

TM
Where are your DSL login user ID and password entered?
They should be in the DSL modem if they are not there already.
If they are entered via an application on the computer, that is not going to work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Post by 6507267265 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for your kind reply, Murphy

RE: your questions...
- Where are your DSL login user ID and password entered? -

There is a "Connect To" button we click and presto, we are logged on.
In the "Network & Sharing" subfile, the "ATT Public Network" Customize link, when clicked, reveals PUBLIC is chosen instead of PRIVATE.

"Access" is LIMITED CONNECTIVITY

"Connection" is LOCAL AREA CONNECTION, with IPv4 and IPv6 showing LIMITED, "Media State" ENABLED

For "Sharing & Discovery", Network Discovery and Password Sharing is ON, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing and Media Sharing are OFF.

- They should be in the DSL modem if they are not there already -

I'm afraid I don't know how to "do it in the DSL modem". Can you describe or email an instructive link?

Many thanks,

Taylor

PS - my dad grew up in Altoona

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:03 pm

6507267265 wrote:Thanks for your kind reply, Murphy

RE: your questions...
- Where are your DSL login user ID and password entered? -

There is a "Connect To" button we click and presto, we are logged on.
In the "Network & Sharing" subfile, the "ATT Public Network" Customize link, when clicked, reveals PUBLIC is chosen instead of PRIVATE.

"Access" is LIMITED CONNECTIVITY

"Connection" is LOCAL AREA CONNECTION, with IPv4 and IPv6 showing LIMITED, "Media State" ENABLED

For "Sharing & Discovery", Network Discovery and Password Sharing is ON, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing and Media Sharing are OFF.

- They should be in the DSL modem if they are not there already -

I'm afraid I don't know how to "do it in the DSL modem". Can you describe or email an instructive link?

Many thanks,

Taylor

PS - my dad grew up in Altoona
Contact Customer Support and have them change your forum user ID to something else. All of the search engines crawl through this site. You have essentially published your phone number on the internet.

Without knowing what operating system is running on your computer it is difficult to help. You need to connect to the web page inside of your DSL modem. If you have the manual for it, the instructions should be there. If you don't have it, it's probably available on the manufacturers web site. It is normally done by connecting to your LAN gateway address, but how to determine that is OS dependent.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Taking the ooma telo out of the picture, how many pc/laptop do you have connected to the internet. Do you have a router? From your post, I guess you only have on pc and the pc is connected directly to the DSL modem, am I right?

I assum that your pc connect directly to DSL modem.

Open your browser and go to 192.168.1.254 ( this is the default ip address/gateway on my ATT DSL Motorola modem). This is the web page inside the modem that Murphy had mentioned above. From there you need to
change the Modem to work on "bridge mode." By default the modem acts as a router, but it only have one LAN port, so ATT can fool their customers into buying their home networking kit.

Next, disconnect your pc from the modem and connect it to the telo HOME port, and telo 'To Internet/MODEM' port to your modem. Now you need to power cycle all three in this order: modem, telo, and pc. Your internet will temporary down till after step 3.

Go to setup.ooma.com or 172.27.35.1 (this is the telo setup page)
1. on network page change the 'Network Connection' to PPPoE, and then enter your login and password.
2. optional you can change telo to use its build in MAC ( many have recommended this)
3. update.

In this setup, the telo will handle the DSL login and acts as a simple router.

It will take 2-3 min for the modem to re-establish the connection, and then it's the telo turn to update its firmware; just give it ample time to finish. You will have a working dial tone from the telo PHONE port.

On the telo WALL port: it should be empty if you have an ooma issued number. It you don't have an ooma issued number, it means you had chosen to intergrad your land line with ooma: you need to connect your current working land line into telo WALL port.
tommies

Post by 6507267265 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Thank you!