When are the fees charged?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
RobinWyman75
When are the fees charged?

Post by RobinWyman75 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm

I just got an Ooma Telo and was wondering when do I get charged for the Fee's associated with the phone? Does the charge happen monthly or yearly? Does it start right away or next year?

DTMF

Re: When are the fees charged?

Post by DTMF » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:12 pm

No customer has been charged these fees yet, since they don't start until one year after purchase on purchases made starting in November 2009.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm

To clarify there are two regulatory recovery fee (RRF) types out there:
  • If your retail box says "...We need to charge roughly $11.75/year" - You have a $11.75 annual RRF starting the second year. Ooma picks up the RRF for the first year of service so you'd only pay starting the 2nd year.
  • If your retail box says "...fees are billed monthly" - You have a monthly RRF (check this link for the amount) starting the second month. The only exception to this is if you activated before early April, in which case you'd have the $11.75/year RRF.
To verify the RRF type you have, check out https://my.ooma.com/account/services
Bobby B

McKayCR

Post by McKayCR » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 pm

I thought ooma was free? what the heck happened?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 pm

McKayCR wrote:I thought ooma was free? what the heck happened?
Nothing is free, especially when the government sees a way to pull in more money.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 pm

McKayCR wrote:I thought ooma was free? what the heck happened?
It's all like George Harrison wrote:

Let me tell you
How it will be.
There's one for you,
Nineteen for me,

'Cause I'm the taxman.
Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Should five percent
Appear too small,
Be thankful I don't
Take it all.

'Cause I'm the taxman.
Yeah, I'm the taxman.

If you drive a car,
I'll tax the street.
If you drive to city,
I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold,
I'll tax the heat.
If you take a walk,
I'll tax your feet.

You can hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzLry3ABpV0
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

gtjr92

Post by gtjr92 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 am

Ok I am confused. If I use the Tac Calculator on this site is says I pay $3.47 a month.
If I login to my ooma it says I pay $11.75 a year. I assume my ooma telo gives the accurate amount, since it is specific to me?
I also assume this amount is automatically deducted from my registered Credit Card via OOMA??

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:17 am

gtjr92 wrote:Ok I am confused. If I use the Tac Calculator on this site is says I pay $3.47 a month.
If I login to my ooma it says I pay $11.75 a year. I assume my ooma telo gives the accurate amount, since it is specific to me?
I also assume this amount is automatically deducted from my registered Credit Card via OOMA??
As far as I know, yes and yes.

The fees that apply as shown on the tax calculator are only for new Telo customers who activate starting in April.

fishhawk

Post by fishhawk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:52 am

gtjr92 wrote:Ok I am confused. If I use the Tac Calculator on this site is says I pay $3.47 a month.
See the post about fees by Bobby B above: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 527#p52847. Depends on what your box says.

And yes, the fees shown when you log into your account should be accurate. I wouldn't use the calculator without logging into my account first, and seeing if the link to the calculator is even there.

Ein

Post by Ein » Wed May 05, 2010 12:50 am

bw1 wrote:
As far as I know, yes and yes.

The fees that apply as shown on the tax calculator are only for new Telo customers who activate starting in April.
Go with what the fine prints on the back of the retail box said ($11.75 on my box). I activated my Telo account in April and still pays the $11.75 after the first year.

I guess Telos after a certain serial number will charged the $3.47 monthly fee. I'm glade I didn't waited too long to get it.