Unable to use xlink with "wall" connection

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
chiguypaul
Re: Unable to use xlink with "wall" connection

Post by chiguypaul » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 pm

lbmofo wrote:Is your alarm system programmed to call your landline number that you used to have?

If your ooma number is different, then just program the alarm to call your ooma number?

If that's not it, I am not understanding how your old setup used to work with your building's alarm.
It's not for an alarm. If you came over to my complex you would type in a code in our building lobby. That security system knows that the three digit code you typed in needs to be routed to my physical pair of cable that runs to my unit. If you plug a phone in to the wall Jack the phone will ring regardless of if there's dial tone service. Does that make sense the way I am explaining?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Sorry, not sure why I was thinking "alarm" all this time. :)

Okay, now I get it. What you call Security System is the intercom system at the building entrance.

Are you saying that even though your wall jack is dead (no AT&T service), when people at the entrance select your unit to call, a phone connected to your dead wall jack still rings and you can talk to whoever is at the entrance?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:35 am

I think I found a link that talks about your very problem: http://www.quantometrix.com/Building_En ... enants.htm

"Another increasingly common and challenging situation is when tenants choose to switch their telephone service to the cable service provider or an internet/IP-based telephone service provider for the obvious savings. In those cases the telephone dial tone is delivered to the suite's telephone handsets by a Processor box sitting inside the tenant's unit, instead of the local phone company incoming dial tone in the building utility area. A conventional no-phone-bill telephone entry system will simply not be able to accomodate those tenants' choices now and in the future. The OmniCom telephone entry system will readily provide the required solutions. It will do so very straightforwardly with the addition of a PhoneBell mini controller in the unit requiring telephone service from cable provider. The low-cost PhoneBell Controller will be attached to the tenant's new dial tone source, without entailing any change whatsoever to the physical wiring inside the unit or outside the unit. These solutions do not entail any alteration of offered entry access services by the telephone entry system. Another direct solution to this sort of challenge is the Auto-Dial classes of service offered by the MPU Controller of the OmniCom Entry System whereby no inside building wiring to the suites is used at all."

Maybe your building maintenance person can re-program the intercom to dial your ooma number instead of using the lines to your unit? It wouldn't hurt to ask. If not, then check and see if your intercom has something similar to "PhoneBell mini controller" talked about above.

chiguypaul

Post by chiguypaul » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm

lbmofo wrote:Is your alarm system programmed to call your landline number that you used to have?

If your ooma number is different, then just program the alarm to call your ooma number?

If that's not it, I am not understanding how your old setup used to work with your building's alarm.
I'm not being clear. It's not an alarm.

In my building, people enter in to a lobby where there's a telephone. Guests coming to see me pickup that phone and dial my 3 digit code for my unit. The phone system does NOT call a phone number. The system can't be programmed to a phone number. The system is physically tied in to the phone lines running up to my unit.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:05 pm

I realized it later and posted a piece describing what some intercom systems can do to integrate with VoIP. If your intercom can't integrate with VoIP, then worst case, you'd have to hook up a phone to the wall so you can answer the door.