Callback Service

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
dman
Callback Service

Post by dman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:07 pm

I see several phone-card companies that utilize a "Callback" feature. With it, you dial the phone-card providers number and the system gives you a busy signal so your not charged for the call. It recognizes your calling number and then call your mobile phone back. You will hear a prompt to dial the destination number and the service connects you using their lines.

Since not everyone has mobile web and many mobile providers give you free incoming calls, it would allow you to use any mobile phone, not just smart phones, to connect to your Ooma service without a charge from your mobile provider. Ooma users would only have to purchase the minimum mobile phone package from their carrier. Also, it could be done on a second Ooma line encouraging Premier package subscribers.

lbmofo

Re: Callback Service

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 pm

I don't understand what is being asked here.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 pm

I am not aware of any USA cell phone carriers that don't charge for incoming calls.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dman

Post by dman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Here is a link that explains Mobile Callback service : http://lowcostmob.com/td1-call-back-sys ... -phone.pdf

It allows you to use an Ooma line to connect your mobilephone to the number you dialed without using mobile cellphone minutes.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

dman wrote:Here is a link that explains Mobile Callback service : http://lowcostmob.com/td1-call-back-sys ... -phone.pdf

It allows you to use an Ooma line to connect your mobilephone to the number you dialed without using mobile cellphone minutes.
The only way that could possibly work is if both phones were smart phones running an application that allows wi-fi calling.
All incoming voice calls to a cell phone burn minutes no matter where the call originated from.

It is my understanding that some European countries don't charge for incoming calls. In that case, it would work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dman

Post by dman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I am not aware of any USA cell phone carriers that don't charge for incoming calls.
T-Mobile free calls with myFaves.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Okay, basically, you'd want to call your ooma number to make calls through that number (this you can do using Google voice) and also have your ooma number forward calls to your mobile without forwarding the caller-id (even Google voice forwards caller-id); without talking legality or capability, this might present inconvenience for most folks. That's just my thought.

dman

Post by dman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 pm

murphy wrote:I am not aware of any USA cell phone carriers that don't charge for incoming calls.
US Cellular - Free incoming calls, text & pix. :D

dman

Post by dman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:31 pm

lbmofo wrote:Okay, basically, you'd want to call your ooma number to make calls through that number (this you can do using Google voice)
Yes, but you must use a smartphonev with wifi at the minimum. I want to use it for voice & txt phone only.
lbmofo wrote:have your ooma number forward calls to your mobile without forwarding the caller-id (even Google voice forwards caller-id); without talking legality or capability, this might present inconvenience for most folks.

It wouldn't matter to me if they sent the caller-id of the phone I was at, all I care about is reducing my cell phone bill by cutting down on minutes. If I go over it cost $0.45 a minute or I have to get a $30 a month extra upgrade. So it's just about the money and that's just my thought. :)