Calling out hangs up

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
denny
Calling out hangs up

Post by denny » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi,

Up till now, my ooma hub has worked flawlessly, I have been very happy with the service. However, just yesterday (April 16) -- or at least I just noticed it starting yesterday -- dialing out just hangs up and I get the ooma dial tone again. Dialing some numbers allows the phone to ring (at least I hear the ring), but as soon as the person picks up the phone, the ooma dial tone comes back. However, we are able to successfully call my mobile phone and it does not hang up when I do this. It seems that we can receive calls OK.

Was there a recent update that did this?

Thanks!
Denny

RCofHI

Re: Calling out hangs up

Post by RCofHI » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:28 am

I have had the exact same experience (located in Southern California):
Intermittently, I am unable to complete an Ooma outgoing telephone call.
I do get a dial tone
I hear the ringing tone from the number called
The phone disconnects when I hear a click

I tested by using Ooma to call my cell phone and I was able to complete the call.

BCNeuman

Post by BCNeuman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Same thing is happening to me. I am also in Southern California.

customrig

Post by customrig » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 pm

I am experencing exactly the same problem. Call out, rings are heard, no voice contact, call my cell phone IT WORKS! I call the person using my cell phone, the call goes thru. The person I am calling then calls my home number and I can receive the call.
The person I am calling is my next door neighbor, when I call to a number in a other area code the call goes thru.

Waiting for a fix to this problem. I am located in Southern California also. (Orange County)

Thanks in advance

ultramed

Post by ultramed » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 am

I'm also in SoCal and it happens everytime I call a number that picks up with an answering machine. When the other end picks up I get the Ooma dialtone. Any fix?

dxt55

Post by dxt55 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:24 am

Discussed here as well:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7577

Seems it's dialing certain southern California landline phone #s that are causing the issue of the call hanging up when it is answered on the other end (either by human or machine). Someone in the other thread says it's been going on for 3 weeks for him, which is not a good sign.

Candysse

Post by Candysse » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:21 am

This also just started happening to me yesterday. (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7594) I am also located in SoCal.Has anyone figured this out? I'm grateful that I have a second non-Ooma line right now, because otherwise, it appears that I wouldn't be able to call out.

marksan

Post by marksan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 am

I'm having this same problem in So-Cal. I have three Ooma hubs. Two of them have this issue when calling certain numbers. The one that doesn't have this issue, I have switched to "fax mode", because I send a lot of faxes using it. You used to be able to set "fax mode" using your web account, but they removed it and you have to call in if you want it turned on.

If anyone wants to try to see if that fixes their problem, call CS and ask for "fax mode" to be turned on.... Or I guess you can try dialing *99 first (to switch you temporarily to fax mode) and then dial your number. I don't have access to my phones to try this right now, but I thought I'd share.

ultramed

Post by ultramed » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I tried *99, and it does nothing. To be specific, when I call a number that answers with a machine or voice mail system, it immediately goes to the Ooma dial tone upon answering. All other calls are normal, and received calls are normal. This started happening a few days ago to the best of my knowledge. We need a fix. Has anyone tried calling support?

dxt55

Post by dxt55 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 am

ultramed wrote:I tried *99, and it does nothing. To be specific, when I call a number that answers with a machine or voice mail system, it immediately goes to the Ooma dial tone upon answering. All other calls are normal, and received calls are normal. This started happening a few days ago to the best of my knowledge. We need a fix. Has anyone tried calling support?
I've called numbers which are answered by a person and the same thing happens with it disconnecting and going to Ooma dial tone. It's specific to a group of SoCal numbers rather than whether it's answered by a person or a machine. From what I can tell, it's affecting Verizon landline #s (both residential and business).