Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Post by lbmofo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:38 pm

kayembee wrote:Well it is dark now so I definitely cannot get a picture. I will have to see what I can do tomorrow. My box did have solid and striped wires. I matched the colors of each and used a splicer like someone suggested. There was blue, orange, red, green and another color I think.

Tomorrow I will attempt to get a picture and post it for you to see. I will also go to Home Depot to get a splitter or two. I looked at each splitter I have and based on the information I've read, I only have one correct splitter. One has 6 wires, one has 2 and the third has 4. The one with 4 iss too wide to plug into the phone port of the Telo because it has space for three devices rather than 2. With my little bit of knowledge, is the splitter really the answer to my being able to distribute my lines throughout my house?

I really appreciate everyone's help!
I got the same NIB box, you'd just disconnect the wires from the screws and you are done. Back in the house, you just plug the "phone" port of your ooma to the wall jack then you got dial tone throughout the house.
In the NIB, originally, I am guessing you only had green and red wires connected to the screws. You disconnect them and let them hang loose, don't connect them to any other wires. I'd cut the copper leads.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:54 am

I tend to agree. At this point I think I have done as much as I can with my limited abilities and knowledge. It is also time I spent the time cleaning my house and doing the dreaded yard work. I hate to spend the money since so many others were so successful on their own. I just hate to admit defeat, but I think that's where I am.

I will definitely give someone a call tomorrow.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:12 pm

If spending around 10 min. to save you $$, would you give it another try? Base on what I read through your posts, you probably do not need a splitter. Just open your telco box, and pay attention to the wires coming out from inside the house. If CAT5 is used, it has exactly 4 pairs. if CAT3 it has some from 3-6 pairs, for matter of over simplify, I said it has 3 pairs.

Count the number of (CAT5/CAT3) cables coming out from inside the house. Each will have it own twisted pair of blue, orange, green, etc.

Pay attention to all blue pairs, making sure those solid blue wires are connected to the wire that terminates on the red terminal, and all the stripped blue connected to wire on the green terminal.

If there is a blue pair that is not connected to any thing, there will be a jack in the house that does not have dial tone.

Do the same for the orange pairs if you plan on to use line 2 in the house. (solid color to the Red terminal, stripped to the Green terminal, if I remember it correctly.)

All you need to to remove the wire from the terminals (all 4 of them) and cut the wires clean (no exposed copper) or just simply cut them off.

PS.
I don't think there is any line 1, line 2 label anywhere in the wiring, It's a convention. Line 1 refers to the 2 inner lines in the wall jack, and line 2 refers to the 2 outer lines of the same jack. Also by convention, the blue twisted pair is wired to the inner wires, thus line 1, likewise for orange twisted pair and line 2.
tommies

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Well I disconnected all the wires, I cut off all the copper leads in the box outside of my house. There is no wire connected to anything outside. I then put the phone line from the Telo into the wall jack. I then plugged another phone line into another wall jack in another room and there was no dial tone at all. So something is still wrong. The phone jack in my study was formerly used for DSL as well. I even tried getting a long phone wire and taking it from the Telo to another wall jack and that didn't work either. I guess it is definitely time to call the electrician. I think I have tried everything.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:15 pm

"There is no wire connected to anything outside. I then put the phone line from the Telo into the wall jack. I then plugged another phone line into another wall jack in another room and there was no dial tone at all."

in simple terms, you did what you are supposed to do! that statement say you seem to understand it. you did good! if it still doesn't work, either you *thought* you did something correct that wasn't, or there is something different about the way your house is wired. now a days, a lot of users homes are good to plug in their coordless phone base into the ooma and have up to 6 cordless handsets in their home.

if you need to be wired into the outlets, don't beat yourself up, you did whet you could. :) some of the help here was great and right on. I hope you get some help to figure out why it didn't work.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 pm

kayembee wrote:I then put the phone line from the Telo into the wall jack. I then plugged another phone line into another wall jack in another room and there was no dial tone at all. So something is still wrong.
Just to be positively sure, "Telo into the wall jack" is from Telo's "Phone" port to the jack on the wall right?
Also, when you disconnected the wires from the screw terminals in the NIB, there were only 2 wires right? As you said "green" and "red" wires? If that's the case, all the jacks that used to be live when you had landline should be live when you feed your Telo's "Phone" port back to a jack on the wall.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:18 am

the wires from the screw terminals in the NIB, there were only 2 wires right? As you said "green" and "red" wires? If that's the case,
There were wires wrapped around red and green screws. I removed them. There was also a third screw but I cannot remember the color off hand. I removed that as well. The hook up inside the house was from the phone port on the Telo to the wall jack as the instructions stated. Currently in the outside box there are no wires connected to anything.

Some of the information from the forum said connect like colored wires inside the box to each other with splicers. Other people indicated that none of the wires should be connected. So now there are no wires connected. Either way, nothing worked which is why I feel I just need to get an electrician here. My home has a data center with a control panel in the basement. I might have the electrician check out the data center wall jacks while they are here as well to make sure they all work.

I will try what ever someone from this forum tells me to do, because I will not be able to get anyone to my house until Friday when I typically work from home.

Thanks everyone!

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:31 am

If there were multiple wires connected to each of the two terminals that supplied landline phone service, all of those wires that were connected to each terminal need to remain connected together and just disconnected from the landline terminals. Normal "home run" wiring has each phone jack in the house run back to a common point where they are all tied together.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks for the information. But since all the wires are disconnected now and I have no idea which wires need to be put back on and where, I think I just need someone else to come in and do it and be done with it. I hate that I have to spend the money to do so. I have spent weeks trying to get this to work.

I just wish it was as simple for me as it has been for others. Unfortunately that was not the case.

Thanks!

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 am

Today when I was leaving for the office I happened to look at the wall jack in my kitchen area where I had my cordless phone main station hooked up. I noticed that the outlet had more than the standard 4 wires that everyone on the site has been telling me. I counted 6 connectors. I am wondering if the other jacks in my house have six connectors as well. Not sure if this is part of my problem or not. I am going to check that this evening. Didn't have time before I left for work.