Changed network setup, now can't call out

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
ShapeShifter
Changed network setup, now can't call out

Post by ShapeShifter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am

I did some re-arranging to my network today, including moving my Ooma Hub from before my main firewall to after. Now, the Hub and Scouts work for incoming calls, but neither works for outgoing calls. When dialing out, I get the dial tone, dial the number, and then nothing happens -- the phone is silent, and the destination phone never rings. Similarly, when I press the voicemail play button, I get nothing -- the "1" button lights up, but nothing else happens, and it doesn't respond to any other button presses after that.

Looking at the hub's setup page, it says the Internet is connected, the Ooma Core is connected, and all of the services are running. Incoming calls seem to be working fine, I just can't go out. I would've assumed a mis-configured router would prevent incoming calls, not outgoing, so I'm confused.

Obviously, there is a configuration item I'm missing or have messed up. I've had the service working fine for months, and I'm not changing the way I use it, so I don't think it's operator error as far as using the phone system (rather it's probably operator error in router configurations.) Is there something I need to open up in my firewall/router to make this work? I was under the impression that no special configuration is required, but maybe I have something blocked in my router that shouldn't be? (I have it fairly well locked down.)

I will return the network back to the original state (hub before router) for now so I can restore full functionality. In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions on things I should check, that would be wonderful. While I'm not an IT professional, I am an advanced user, and have a good grasp of TCP/IP, routing, and network topologies/theory. So I'm not a complete beginner (I obviously know enough to get myself into trouble! :cry: )

Aveamantium

Re: Changed network setup, now can't call out

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am

Try forwarding the ports described here https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... vice-ports in your firewall to the IP of the Telo.
Go AVS!

ShapeShifter

Post by ShapeShifter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:39 am

I put everything back the way it was, and everything is 100% functional. So the outbound call issue is not with the Ooma service, my Hub or Scouts, my phones, or my operation of the phones. It's clearly a network configuration issue I introduced.

I'm still hoping for a resolution, because I would eventually like to place the Ooma Hub back behind my firewall.
Aveamantium wrote:Try forwarding the ports described here https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... vice-ports in your firewall to the IP of the Telo.
Thanks! I knew I had seem something like that in the past, but my feeble attempts at searches didn't find it today. :?

From reading that, it would appear that they are describing the outgoing connections that the equipment makes, not incoming. I don't see where this applies to ports that should be forwarded from outside to inside the firewall. Am I missing something? If you know additional information not on that page that would imply these need to be opened for incoming connections, I will open them up, but I prefer not to open inbound ports unless there is a specific reason to do so. (Also, I just a few minutes ago got everything put back together the way it was. It will take some time to reconfigure it to the point where I can test these proposed changes.)

My current firewall configuration is to block all incoming connections, and ports 497 and 8000 are specifically blocked for TCP and UDP both inbound and outbound. I do not have anything in place to block any of the ports mentioned in that advanced configuration topic. (And my ISP obviously doesn't either, as it is working at the moment.)

I will try forwarding those ports the next time I have some time to re-arrange equipment again. In the mean time, any other suggestions from anybody?

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Check you firewall if it block outgoing port by default. Or if you are familiar with wireshark, looking for packets that get drop by the firewall.
tommies

ShapeShifter

Post by ShapeShifter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:29 pm

tommies wrote:Check you firewall if it block outgoing port by default. Or if you are familiar with wireshark, looking for packets that get drop by the firewall.
Only the two outgoing ports I mentioned earlier are blocked (OK, four ports, 2xTCP & 2xUDP.) If any other ports are blocked, they aren't intentional, and they aren't showing up in my firewall rules list. But either way, the firewall will log blocked activity, I just didn't think of checking it. Duh! It wasn't up long enough in that configuration to fill the log and email it to me, and the log was lost when I unplugged it as I set the network back, so I have nothing to check at the moment. But that's definitely another option when I try it again -- check the log! (It's helped me in the past, why was I too dumb to think of it this time?)

I do already have Wireshark installed on a laptop, and I can put it on the segment between the Ooma Hub and the firewall next time I try it. I can use that as well to hunt for lost packets.

Thanks for the good ideas!

cpmkmk

Re: Changed network setup, now can't call out ALSO

Post by cpmkmk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 am

I have an issue– only one way transmission outgoing ability on my end ONLY when I call out. The caller cannot hear me at all. However if anyone calls me it works as advertized –however only if they call me. I have spent almost half of my day trying to resolve this out calling issue. I have read others problems with this same issue. I also read “easy 15 minute setup” in their manual! What a joke. I burned up almost 60 minutes on my cell phone minutes trying to get this resolved. It seems as if they are clueless. I get the same old “well try this –or that” directions. After trying it all I still get the same results –no dice! I got my ticket # now I have to be available for 48 hours to resolve this “IF” they ever call back. Please let me know if anyone else solves it! I have a cable modem with charter as my isp.

What was really strange is on the second day after my install - in the morning about 7:30 am I tried an outgoing call and it was OK. It made me think since my computer was OFF -perhaps something was involved. However I have tried to duplicate this several different way with no success. It does not seem to matter on, off, disconnected, rebooted, modem rebooted, on & on. And still no one can hear my transmission if I call out. Inbound calls are all completely normal. Any thought would be appreciated since Ooma seems to want us to fix these ourselves with no tech help available.

To date now - over 72 hours and counting they (Ooma) have failed to call me back as promised.

cpmkmk

Post by cpmkmk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 am

I have an issue– only one way transmission outgoing ability on my end ONLY when I call out. The caller cannot hear me at all. However if anyone calls me it works as advertized –however only if they call me. I have spent almost half of my day trying to resolve this out calling issue. I have read others problems with this same issue. I also read “easy 15 minute setup” in their manual! What a joke. I burned up almost 60 minutes on my cell phone minutes trying to get this resolved. It seems as if they are clueless. I get the same old “well try this –or that” directions. After trying it all I still get the same results –no dice! I got my ticket # now I have to be available for 48 hours to resolve this “IF” they ever call back. Please let me know if anyone else solves it! I have a cable modem with charter as my isp.

What was really strange is on the second day after my install - in the morning about 7:30 am I tried an outgoing call and it was OK. It made me think since my computer was OFF -perhaps something was involved. However I have tried to duplicate this several different way with no success. It does not seem to matter on, off, disconnected, rebooted, modem rebooted, on & on. And still no one can hear my transmission if I call out. Inbound calls are all completely normal. Any thought would be appreciated since Ooma seems to want us to fix these ourselves with no tech help available.

To date now - over 72 hours and counting they (Ooma) have failed to call me back as promised.

ShapeShifter

Post by ShapeShifter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 am

8653812179 wrote:I have an issue– only one way transmission outgoing ability on my end ONLY when I call out. The caller cannot hear me at all.
I'm sorry to hear of your problems, I wish I had an answer for you. Hopefully when I figure out what's up with my setup, the solution may help you. However, it seems you have a different problem -- for me, the system basically works, except when I changed my network topology. Then, I couldn't make outbound calls at all. It wasn't a matter that the called party couldn't hear me, it was an issue where the call could not even be placed -- I get a dialtone and dial the number, but then the called phone never rings, and I never hear any ringback or any other sounds. I also cannot use the answering machine buttons on the Hub or Scouts to check for voicemail -- the line one button lights up, but then the box locks up and nothing else happens until I cycle power.

When I have the Ooma hub connected directly to the cable modem, everything works fine. Are you connected directly to the cable modem? If not, try that and see if it helps. To eliminate any possible interactions, I would try disconnecting and powering down everything, then connect the Ooma device and phone directly to the modem, with nothing else connected. Power up the modem, wait for it to initialize, power up the Ooma device, wait for it to initialize, and then try to make a call. If it doesn't work, then the problem is either the way you have it hooked up, the Ooma device hardware, the Ooma service, or something being blocked by your ISP. If this test does work, and your normal setup doesn't, then it's likely a problem in your setup (as I assume is the case with me) in which case you could then start adding parts of your normal setup back one at a time until you find the step that causes the failure.

Other than to suggest removing all of the possible variables as a test case, I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions. Good luck!

cpmkmk

Post by cpmkmk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 am

thanks -yes I have it connected directly to my modem/router gateway combo -brand new Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG901 DOCSIS 2.0 Wireless Cable Modem -see below I have tried much of what you mention already. I am going now to try adjusting the modem's firewall setting -I'm praying this will do something!!
What really makes me wonder however is one day it worked whe I tried it without changing anything. It worked on only one call I made in the morning -very strange!

The SBG901 supports 30% Wireless Acceleration using Xpress™ and Afterburner™ technology with internal antennas and acts as the central connection point between your computers and the Internet. An SBG901: • Combines four separate products — a DOCSIS® cable modem, IEEE 802.11 b/g wireless access point, Ethernet 10/100Base-T connections, and firewall — into one compact unit • Enables you to create a custom network sharing a single broadband connection, files, and peripherals, with or without wires • Provides easy to use Installation Wizard to setup home network.

ShapeShifter

Post by ShapeShifter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:34 am

8653812179 wrote:I am going now to try adjusting the modem's firewall setting -I'm praying this will do something!!
I agree that looking at the firewall settings is the next step. But with all those features built into the modem, it's hard to eliminate all the variables and will certainly limit your testing options. The built-in router/firewall might not be easy to bypass for testing. See how much you can disable or bypass, just for testing purposes. If all you have hooked up is the Ooma equipment, there isn't a large exposure risk by defeating the firewall. But when the testing is done, just make sure you re-enable the security features before reconnecting your computer(s).

While you are in there, see if there is a DMZ feature. This will be a separate output port for a "de-militarized zone" designed for servers and similar equipment that is foiled by the firewall features. It's a special zone with more or less direct access to/from the Internet side. If you have such a feature, try hooking your Ooma equipment to that.

Integrated boxes are nice and simple, and can be quite affordable, but they can limit flexibility. I'm glad I have all separate single purpose boxes -- cable modem, firewall, Ooma, router, wireless access point, Ethernet switches, etc. It lets me optimize (or update) each individual feature without affecting the rest, lets me choose the best equipment for each feature without compromises, and gives me the flexibility to connect things up the way I want them. Of course, it's more expensive that way, more work to administer, and opens it up for invalid configurations (like what I think is my original issue.)