Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
southsound
Re: Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Post by southsound » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:42 am

Solie wrote:Thank you Southsound, for the welcome, for the complement, and for the clarity of your response.
Yes, I admit that I had contradictions, My 2nd line was on Green pair and not orange. See, I am getting old.
You are in good company. I always tell folks that I can't remember the last time I forgot something!

I think I got it now. Don't look like I need a splitter after all. I will use a 2 jack plate where the DSL modem is connected. Connect Blue pair to jack 1 and DSL modem. Connect Brown pair to jack 2 and connect that to Ooma Tel Phone port. I can use a phone dupler (like the last pic that Ibmofo provided in this thread) if I want to connect a telephone here. Then in other rooms where there is CAT5 cable, connect the brown pair to the jack. No need to touch the NIB mess that I have at my place.
Correct. Now remember that if you ran your cables using a star topology (with one end of each cable going to the NIB then you will have to connect the brown/white wires together and the white/brown wires together. You can use the scotchlock connectors shown in an earlier post if you can get them. They make a neat, moisture-proof, trouble-free splice.

Do I have everything covered?

There is a DSL splitter between the Blue pair and the DSL modem.The Ooma Wall port is connected to the Phone port of the splitter. What this connection is for? Do I still need it? Come to think of it, do I even need the the DSL spliter? Now that I have naked DSL.
Nothing should be connected to your ooma's WALL jack. The PHONE jack is what provides dialtone. You probably had an integrated landline in the past - now you are dry looped. You can also do away with the DSL splitter since only your DSL modem will be connected.

No knowing cabling, and being sloppy, in the past, I have left the unused wires just hanging in the tel jack box.How is the best way to handle these loose wire ends so they will not cause interference or static on the phone voice connection.
Most telco installers will just take the unused wires, clip off the bare copper, and curl them around a pencil so they are out of the way but available if you need them.

Here is a great picture from lbmofo:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Solie

Post by Solie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:02 pm

That is great. Thank you so much. I wish my NIB was this clean and organized.

Now I am trying to put the whole thing (UPS, Power Bar, DSL Modem, Ooma, and my wireless router) in one place. So all the cables (power cables, RJ11 and RJ45 cables) are safely tucked and away from the reach of my 2 year old grand daughter. Also it should be a place with ventilation. Like to put Ooma itself on top of a desk or cabinet.

How far can I go from the double jack plate. If I use 2 12' or 15' long cables (RJ11), would it cause interference or any problem?

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Solie wrote:That is great. Thank you so much. I wish my NIB was this clean and organized.

Now I am trying to put the whole thing (UPS, Power Bar, DSL Modem, Ooma, and my wireless router) in one place. So all the cables (power cables, RJ11 and RJ45 cables) are safely tucked and away from the reach of my 2 year old grand daughter. Also it should be a place with ventilation. Like to put Ooma itself on top of a desk or cabinet.

How far can I go from the double jack plate. If I use 2 12' or 15' long cables (RJ11), would it cause interference or any problem?
Should not be a problem at all. I have some cables that came with my old ReplayTV that are 35' long and they worked great. 12' or 15' will be fine. And don't worry about how neat lbmofo's NIB is - that is something you can do on a Saturday when you have nothing better to do. (Come to think of it, I'm saving that same Saturday to clean my garage. It was built as a 4 car garage but I can't even fit our one car into it. I guess those Saturdays don't come around too often.)
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:17 pm

southsound wrote:Most telco installers will just take the unused wires, clip off the bare copper, and curl them around a pencil so they are out of the way but available if you need them.
Pencil? So, that's how they do that.... :cool:

BTW, I am wondering how kayembee is doing.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 am

I have pretty much given up and am seeking the help with an electrician that has experience with telecommunications wiring. One person I spoke to who knows my house and the wiring indicated that I didn't need to do anything with the box outside of my house because I have this "central" communication box in my basement that controls my data center, phone, alarm, etc. So hopefully they will come out on Friday and fix everything and I will FINALLY be operational.

So I am still operating on one phone and no fax. It has not been fun.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Well I am getting absolutely no where with this system and am extremely frustrated. Now I cannot even find anyone to come out and reconnect the wiring that I disconnected from the box outside my house. I just need to put everything back the way it was before I started monkeying around with it.

I did speak to someone who indicated that since I had a pretty sophisticated communication box in the basement of my house that all the switching probably needed to be done there and not outside. Problem is I cannot get anyone to come out and do anything. People are telling me that the phone company has to do it because they own the box. Well since I no longer have service through a phone company I am out of luck.

All I know is that this was advertised as the best alternative to Ma Bell, but it has put me out of commission as far as being fully operational while working from home and we only have one operating phone in the house which happens to be upstairs. This is just not what I expected.

:|

highq

Post by highq » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Perhaps you'd care to reveal what area of the country you are in, with the possibility that one of the knowledgeable members of this Forum might volunteer to pay you a visit. If you don't want to do so publicly, think about writing privately to some of those who have been making suggestions to you.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:33 pm

I live in the Eastern PanHandle of WV, close to the Virginia state line...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 pm

kayembee, take a look at my post again; that may help. With my NIB, as you can see, I have 2 wire bunches going into the house and the L1s (white-blue/blue-white) from both wire bunches were connected to the screw terminals.

In order to disconnect my house from the telephone company and for all my jacks to receive dial tone, I just had to take the L1 wires off of the screw terminals and connect them together using the 2 wire butt splice connectors (white-blue connected to white-blue and blue-white connected to blue-white).

Since all your wires are off the screw terminals already, all you need to do is to connect all the L1s together. From your previous post, I know that you have at least 1 bunch that's the old quad wiring so here is what you do (if you don't have solid green and solid red wires that's okay; green = white-blue and red = blue-white) :

If you have 2 wire bunches going into the house:

Use the 2 wire butt splice connectors and have white-blue connected to green and blue-white connected to red

If you have 3 wire bunches going into the house:

Using the 3 wire butt splice connectors and have the 3 white-blue and green wires connected together and have the 3 blue-white and red wires connected together.

Once you do this, most if not all jacks in your house will have dial tone if you feedback your ooma "phone" port back to a walljack.

All the rest of the wires should not be connected together; just cut the exposed copper leads and let them all hang by themselves.

This is assuming only L1s were connected to your screw terminals, do you remember any other color wires connected to your screw terminals other than white-blue, blue-white, green, red?

lbmofo wrote:If you originally had more than 1 wire connected to the screw terminals, no worries. We'd just connect them back together using the scotchlok connectors shown at the end of this post. If you forogt what color they were, still no worries because most likely they were all L1 pairs.

Here is what my NIB looked like before ooma, did yours look about the same before you disconnected the wires from screw terminals?

As you can see, 2 wires were connected to the screw terminals; so 2 sets of L1 tip/ring wires from 2 Cat 5 wire bunches were feeding phone jacks in my house.

Cat 5:
tip/ring
L1 white-blue/blue-white
L2 white-orange/orange-white
L3 white-green/green-white
L4 white-brown/brown-white
L5 white-slate/slate-white

From your previous post, it seems you have the older quad wiring as well:
tip/ring
L1 green/red
L2 black/yellow

Do you have 2 or 3 wire bunches leading into the house?

Let's say you got 3 wire bunches. Then use the 3 wire butt splice to connect all L1 tip wires together and then connect all L1 ring wires together. This ought to make most of your jacks live if not all. For the jacks that aren't live... likely they were wired as L2; just need to wire them back to L1. When selecting a jack to feed back Telo's "phone" dialtone as well as to test whether dialtone distro worked, I'd pick jacks that you knew for sure worked when you had landline.

IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:17 pm

A picture of your NIB will surely help the folks here to give you specific instruction, as the saying a picture worths thousand words.
tommies