Configuration & Back to My Mac

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
flyingpoint
Configuration & Back to My Mac

Post by flyingpoint » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Just set-up my Oona for the first time. Works fine in the recommended Modem>Oona>Airport Extreme>Switch configuration, but I'd like to get my "Back to My Mac" functionality.

I've read in the forums of some folks having good luck running their Oonas AFTER their Routers. Since I'm a real networking newbie --- that would entail a Modem>Airport Extreme>Oona configuration, right? I'd just run from one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Extreme and run that to the "modem" slot on back of the Oona. And there would be nothing in the "home" slot on the Oona?

Do I have this correct? Thanks for the help!

elgatogeorgi

Re: Configuration & Back to My Mac

Post by elgatogeorgi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am

I have a similar setup and found the best configuration is to use the Ooma Hub as your router and place it just behind your modem and in front of the Airport Extreme like this:

Modem--->Ooma Hub--->Airport (in bridge mode)--->Computers

You will have to set Airport in bridge mode and set up port forwarding through ooma. A little tip: set the ooma IP address to the same IP address in your old routing setup, so that you won't need to change the settings on other devices in your network.

This was the only way I could get remote access to work. I've been using this setup for about a month now, and it works just fine. Ooma controls QoS.

smurfless

Post by smurfless » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I found an alternative fix:
Outside
Modem
Linksys (connected to everything else in house, as before)
Ooma

This works because I did 2 things - not complicated if you understand them.

1. Put the Ooma in the Linksys DMZ.

Go to the Linksys configuration, open the DHCP server and set the MAC address you read on the bottom of your unit (the whole thing, not just the part you used to register) in and remember what address you specify. Then go to the Applications page and register that address as your DMZ address. Reboot the Linksys as it dutifully tells you to do.

2. Leave the Ooma on auto and connect the Modem port to the Linksys.

Turn it off, rewire as above, and turn it on. The DHCP server on the linksys gives it the address you assigned, then puts it in the DMZ and signs in. No mess! Just remember that the port connected to the linksys is the one marked "Modem."

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 am

flyingpoint wrote: I'd just run from one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Extreme and run that to the "modem" slot on back of the Oona. And there would be nothing in the "home" slot on the Oona?

Do I have this correct? Thanks for the help!
That is correct. Let your router do the routing. By placing the router in bridge modem you defeat the firewall and NAT, by DMZ you tear down the firewall as well.

Set up should be:
Modem>Router>OOMA
You do not have to connect a computer to the home port. If you wish to access the setup.ooma.com, you will need to.