Dial Tone through out home

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bayareakirk
Re: Dial Tone through out home

Post by bayareakirk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 am

southsound wrote: OK, take a deep breath. Great. Now tell us what kind of Internet you have - if DSL, then we'll need to modify my advice. If cable, please feel free to proceed:
Cable
1. You mentioned that you "have the incoming landline to the house cut" which I assume means you are no longer tethered to the local telephone company. Go to the Network Interface Box on the outside of your house and unplug the little cables that are plugged into the jacks. If you have hinged connectors, just swing them out of the way. I recommend putting a note in the NIB that says, "Do not reconnect cables. Doing so may damage customer provided equipment."
Actually, the box is locked by a allen bolt with a pin in the middle so I literally cut the thick flat black cable entering the box. I imagine my problems lie in the locked box (and with this cut?) I guess I'll need to open the box to understand the correct cables to unplug.
2. Use a single line splitter (like the one that came with your hub/scout) to join the hub's WALL and PHONE jacks. Then connect the combined signal to a wall jack near your hub.
Done! and thank you for the clear instructions!
3. At this point, any phone jack in the house will have a dual signal - dialtone if just a regular phone is plugged in or if you like, you can plug in a scout for the instant second line or other features (if you have Premier) or just a darned nice voicemail terminal if not. You don't even need to plug a phone into the scout to use the voicemail features.
Have dial tone but Scout still not working and is lit up red across the bottom.
OOPS - I just noticed that this is your first post! Welcome to ooma and to the forum - you're going to like it here!
Thank youl! It's great to get quick quality assistance.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:43 am

bayareakirk wrote:Have dial tone but Scout still not working and is lit up red across the bottom.
You are connecting Scout's "wall" port to the wall jack right? Also, make sure there is no DSL filter installed at any point between the Scout and the Hub.

bayareakirk

Post by bayareakirk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:33 pm

lbmofo wrote:
bayareakirk wrote:Have dial tone but Scout still not working and is lit up red across the bottom.
You are connecting Scout's "wall" port to the wall jack right? Also, make sure there is no DSL filter installed at any point between the Scout and the Hub.
Yes, I have the spitter on the wall and one cable going to the "wall" port and one to the "phone" port on the Hub. There are no DSL filters there but the house has had DSL in the past. Could a filter somewhere else cause trouble? The locked box I can't open has a phone wire going to another "DSL" box and there are three phone wires coming off that to the house. It looks like the DSL box is just used to send lines to different areas of the home, not as a filter - but I don't know.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

I was actually asking how you are connecting the Scout. ie phone wire from Scout's "wall" port to the wall jack right?

The NIB should be accessible through the customer side by unscrewing a little screw. That DSL box you talk about is suspicious. I wonder what that is used for. There are cases where people use 1 filter to filter all lines not meant for DSL modem.

When you connect your Scout's "wall" port directly to the Hub's "wall" port, your Scout works right?

bayareakirk

Post by bayareakirk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:26 pm

lbmofo wrote:I was actually asking how you are connecting the Scout. ie phone wire from Scout's "wall" port to the wall jack right?
Sorry, got it. Yes, wall to wall on the Scout.
The NIB should be accessible through the customer side by unscrewing a little screw. That DSL box you talk about is suspicious. I wonder what that is used for. There are cases where people use 1 filter to filter all lines not meant for DSL modem.
Great, thanks for getting me in the box. It's in a small space and I didn't see a way in before. Would a picture of the DSL box help determine if it's a proble?.
When you connect your Scout's "wall" port directly to the Hub's "wall" port, your Scout works right?
I'll confirm that the Scout works when hardwired to the Hub and get back to you.

Thanks for your efforts to help!

bayareakirk

Post by bayareakirk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Ibmofo,
Scout does work when hooked wall to wall port on the Hub.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Since we know the Scout is working and when you feedback combined dialtone and HPNA (wall port) from Hub to wall plate you get dialtone elsewhere in the house but Scout doesn't work, that means you have DSL filter filtering out the HPNA signal somewhere in your wiring. Yes, a pic of this DSL box might help and also your NIB if you could.

bayareakirk

Post by bayareakirk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Hope these provide a clue?!? Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
dsl box.JPG
It looks like one line comes in from the "phone box" to the top terminals and the other terminals send lines back into the home.
dsl box.JPG (59.29KiB)Viewed 6780 times
phone box.JPG
phone box.JPG (62.04KiB)Viewed 6780 times

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:02 pm

bayareakirk wrote:Hope these provide a clue?!? Thanks again for the help.
Bingo! The DSL box is really a DSL splitter. Remove the wires from both Voice connections (that's the middle screw on each side) and connect the wires using scotchlock connectors. Keep the ones that were on the left together and the ones from the right together in a different scotchlock. The DSL splitter is shorting out the HPNA network signals that make the scout work.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bayareakirk

Post by bayareakirk » Sat May 01, 2010 7:42 am

Thanks Guys. You are a HUGE help!