Dial Tone through out home

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
southsound
Re: Dial Tone through out home

Post by southsound » Sat May 01, 2010 8:02 am

One additional note now that it's morning and I've had some coffee. The jack where your DSL modem was plugged in is wired to the DATA terminals in that box. If you would like to use that jack for phone distribution, include those wires in the group you used the scotchlocks to connect together or that particular (old DSL modem) jack will be dead.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bayareakirk

Post by bayareakirk » Sat May 01, 2010 9:29 am

southsound wrote:One additional note now that it's morning and I've had some coffee. The jack where your DSL modem was plugged in is wired to the DATA terminals in that box. If you would like to use that jack for phone distribution, include those wires in the group you used the scotchlocks to connect together or that particular (old DSL modem) jack will be dead.
Indeed, this was last piece to the puzzle. All working perfectly now. Couldn't have done it without the help! Thanks.

heymon

Post by heymon » Wed May 26, 2010 5:09 pm

Newbie posting here ... excited to get whole-home dial-tone going. I first had phone through Qwest, then switched to phone from my cable provider (Cox). I have cable for internet. I believe the cable company added a box when they installed phone. I have the Hub setup and working with it just connected directly to one phone. The wall outlets in my house are still connected to the NIB.

I tried disconnecting at points A & B and G &H in the photos below but still got dial tone each time. Can I simply cut what looks like a phone line going from the NIB into the house? I have since cancelled my cable company's phone service so I can't do the dial-tone test anymore to ensure I 'cut the cord' properly.

thanks in advance for guidance.
P5180009_sm.JPG
pic1
P5180009_sm.JPG (147.04KiB)Viewed 6648 times
P5180010 - sm.JPG
pic2
P5180010 - sm.JPG (150.44KiB)Viewed 6648 times

bawhite1

Post by bawhite1 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:13 am

Ok. I have read the posts and still don't have any luck with a dialtone. I have disconnected the home wiring outside, connected the Telo to the wall jack, but nothing. I have a cable modem (no DSL), old phone was digital with Time Warner. Any other suggestions?

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon May 31, 2010 8:18 am

bawhite1 wrote:Ok. I have read the posts and still don't have any luck with a dialtone. I have disconnected the home wiring outside, connected the Telo to the wall jack, but nothing. I have a cable modem (no DSL), old phone was digital with Time Warner. Any other suggestions?
Have you tried plugging the cable that used to go to the Time Warner telephone adapter (ATA) into the PHONE jack of your ooma box? Make sure you are plugged into the PHONE port, not the WALL jack. The WALL jack is only for landline integration. Since your number has already been ported (it IS complete, right?) you no longer want anything plugged into the WALL port. If your port is not complete, go back to your original configuration since you were using landline integration. You might want to reboot your system (unplug for 30 seconds then replug it in) so that your ooma picks up the new configuration.
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 31, 2010 3:49 pm

southsound wrote:
bawhite1 wrote:Ok. I have read the posts and still don't have any luck with a dialtone. I have disconnected the home wiring outside, connected the Telo to the wall jack, but nothing. I have a cable modem (no DSL), old phone was digital with Time Warner. Any other suggestions?
Have you tried plugging the cable that used to go to the Time Warner telephone adapter (ATA) into the PHONE jack of your ooma box? Make sure you are plugged into the PHONE port, not the WALL jack. The WALL jack is only for landline integration. Since your number has already been ported (it IS complete, right?) you no longer want anything plugged into the WALL port. If your port is not complete, go back to your original configuration since you were using landline integration. You might want to reboot your system (unplug for 30 seconds then replug it in) so that your ooma picks up the new configuration.
This would apply to heymon too.

bawhite1

Post by bawhite1 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Southsound... Thank you so much for your help!! That was my missing link! Thanks again and have a great week :!:

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Awesome! I'm glad that I could help and that things are working! :P
Lifetime Premier Member

heymon

Post by heymon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm

lbmofo wrote:
southsound wrote:
This would apply to heymon too.
The part I'm hung up on is which wire to cut/disconnect in the boxes I pictured above.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 pm

If the cable phone device used to distirbute dialtone throughout your house, your ooma device should replace that cable phone device without you having to change any of your home wiring. Just connect ooma's home port to whichever wall jack your cable phone device was feeding the dialtone to.