Overall Cost of OOMA

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
southsound
Re: Overall Cost of OOMA

Post by southsound » Sun May 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Not to mention the cost of time posting 13 complaints about something that could have been discussed in 1 or 2 posts.

13 x .25 hr. = 3.25 x $24/hr = $78.00!!!

What did your Telo box say - did it say subject to an $11.75 annual fee (like mine did) or subject to a regulatory recapture fee and direct you to the rate calculator? From my understanding ooma will honor what the box says because it is the right thing to do.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 pm

coldsteel wrote:
RobinWyman75 wrote: Vonage 22$
OOMA 19$
I would have a net savings of 3$ per month.
Okay, I'm not going to belabor the point and I'm certainly not trying to convince you to go with OOMA since you seem to happy with Vonage (I didn't have any problems with Vonage either). Somehow in your world OOMA is charging you $19.00 per month for some reason that I don't quite understand.

In my world right now I am paying OOMA $0.00 per month and I am saving $70.00 per month that I am not paying AT&T if you do decide to go with OOMA then I would say "welcome to my world" :D .
Robin's figures are wrong. The calculations used assume $10/mo taxes and fees.

I seriously doubt it will be that high even after they add state and local taxes. You are probably looking at $4-$5 total for fees and taxes (currently $2.50-$3.50 depending on your zip code) Assuming he needs to get Premiere because of Ooma's poor choice of making network failure on call forward part of Premiere and assuming they start charging for state and local taxes in the near future, that's around $15/mo, not $19.

Having said that, Coldsteel, the plan you were offered is *not* the same as what current customers are being offered. Original customers had no more fees after the original purchase. Later on they changed that to $11.75/yr (1st year free). Now they just changed it to monthly which for many folks is ending up $3.50/mo with first month free.
Last edited by sfhub on Sun May 02, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun May 02, 2010 1:59 pm

RobinWyman75 wrote:To have 3 tier price for the exact same service seems to me to be crazy, I would imagine, going forward that any new OOMA customer will think the same.
They have multiple pricing structures because they are evolving the business model and also want to balance that with honoring earlier pricing they promised.

Going forward, now that they are collecting monthly fees, I doubt there will be as much confusion, especially as the old inventory sells through.

The new pricing is not as attractive as the earlier pricing, but it is still usually much better than the competition with very good reliability.

RobinWyman75

Post by RobinWyman75 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:00 pm

southsound wrote:Not to mention the cost of time posting 13 complaints about something that could have been discussed in 1 or 2 posts.

13 x .25 hr. = 3.25 x $24/hr = $78.00!!!

What did your Telo box say - did it say subject to an $11.75 annual fee (like mine did) or subject to a regulatory recapture fee and direct you to the rate calculator? From my understanding ooma will honor what the box says because it is the right thing to do.
:D

The box said subject to regulatory fee etc. But I truly thought it was 11.95 per year based on the last info I found before buying.

After purchasing,

I did put in my zip code and found 3.47/month.

Then later I found out that isn't correct since the didnt include state taxes. Only after doing more investigating.

I'm not savy in the OOMA pricing scheme - so subject to regulatory taxes, means to me the 11.95/year.

I guess I would have a different view if I didn't have to pay fees for life....

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun May 02, 2010 2:04 pm

RobinWyman75 wrote:I already own OOMA.

My issue is the following.

I purchased OOMA with the understanding that it was 11.95/year (roughly), at least that is what I had read a few weeks before purchasing. After purchasing, cancelling Vonage, and signing up for OOMA, I then see that the charge is more. After entering my zip code I find that it is 3.47$ per month roughly 45$ per year. Ok, I've accepted that. Then, later I find out, after asking many question, that the sales tax is not included and that it will be added at some point in the future, but nobody knows how much this will be.
You are estimating that state and local tax to be $6.50. That is a crazy estimate. I seriously doubt it will be that high. It will probably be more like $0.50-$1.50. Look at every other phone or cell phone bill at the "taxes" section (not the "fees" section) and you can get an idea what the percentages are.

I agree with Southsound. Before you get all upset and bothered, you should look at what your Telo packaging says. If it says $11.75 on the box, then that is what you'll be paying. In that case you'll be saving $21/mo.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm

RobinWyman75 wrote: The box said subject to regulatory fee etc. But I truly thought it was 11.95 per year based on the last info I found before buying.

After purchasing,

Then later I found out that isn't correct since the didnt include state taxes. Only after doing more investigating.

I'm not savy in the OOMA pricing scheme - so subject to regulatory taxes, means to me the 11.95/year.

Too bad your memory is not working well. On April 12 you asked about the fees and Bobby B answered you quite well. Your post said you had just purchased the system - so that would be at a time when you could still cancel your port and get a refund. Just to remind you, here is your initial post (in red) and his post again:
RobinWyman75 wrote: I just got an Ooma Telo and was wondering when do I get charged for the Fee's associated with the phone? Does the charge happen monthly or yearly? Does it start right away or next year?
Bobby B wrote:To clarify there are two regulatory recovery fee (RRF) types out there:
  • If your retail box says "...We need to charge roughly $11.75/year" - You have a $11.75 annual RRF starting the second year. Ooma picks up the RRF for the first year of service so you'd only pay starting the 2nd year.
  • If your retail box says "...fees are billed monthly" - You have a monthly RRF (check this link for the amount) starting the second month. The only exception to this is if you activated before early April, in which case you'd have the $11.75/year RRF.
To verify the RRF type you have, check out https://my.ooma.com/account/services
So now might be a great time to stop whining - and since you are still at less than 30 days, you might even be able to take your system back for a refund.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun May 02, 2010 2:13 pm

RobinWyman75 wrote:The box said subject to regulatory fee etc. But I truly thought it was 11.95 per year based on the last info I found before buying.
Did it say billed monthly or $11.75/year. Subject to regulatory fee could apply to either.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7527#p52847
  • If your retail box says "...We need to charge roughly $11.75/year" - You have a $11.75 annual RRF starting the second year. Ooma picks up the RRF for the first year of service so you'd only pay starting the 2nd year.
  • If your retail box says "...fees are billed monthly" - You have a monthly RRF (check this link for the amount) starting the second month. The only exception to this is if you activated before early April, in which case you'd have the $11.75/year RRF.
Further, even if it said billed monthly, if you signed up early April, you would actually be on the $11.75/year plan.

When you login to your account what does it say under fees?

RobinWyman75

Post by RobinWyman75 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:22 pm

southsound wrote:
RobinWyman75 wrote: The box said subject to regulatory fee etc. But I truly thought it was 11.95 per year based on the last info I found before buying.

After purchasing,

Too bad your memory is not working well. On April 12 you asked about the fees and Bobby B answered you quite well. Your post said you had just purchased the system - so that would be at a time when you could still cancel your port and get a refund. Just to remind you, here is your initial post (in red) and his post again:
RobinWyman75 wrote: I just got an Ooma Telo and was wondering when do I get charged for the Fee's associated with the phone? Does the charge happen monthly or yearly? Does it start right away or next year?
Bobby B wrote:To clarify there are two regulatory recovery fee (RRF) types out there:
To verify the RRF type you have, check out https://my.ooma.com/account/services
So now might be a great time to stop whining - and since you are still at less than 30 days, you might even be able to take your system back for a refund.
:!:

Right, Which was after I canceled Vonage, changed my phone number etc. I asked when the fees are charged. My issue is that the fees that are quoted do not include the sales taxes! Which is deceiving, given that I believe the sales taxes can be high.

When I posted that, I had accepted the fee "amount" and was asking "when" they are charged! Then if you look carefully, you will find another post of me mad about the fact that the fees that are quoted are not even right!

Returning the Box is not an option and I never ported my number. When that was posted I had already converted.

highq

Post by highq » Sun May 02, 2010 2:31 pm

You say "My issue is that the fees that are quoted do not include the sales taxes! Which is deceiving, given that I believe the sales taxes can be high."

There are many localities where it is not legal to include the sales tax in a quoted price. And whether it is legal or not, I cannot recall a retail store or a catalog or an internet site where the sales tax was included in a cited price. Sales tax rates vary with city or county or state, so people to learn to know what's the rate in their own bailiwick.

And then, define"high": 30% ? 25% ? 15% ? Never mind a mountain, you're hardly creating a molehill.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun May 02, 2010 2:32 pm

RobinWyman75 wrote:Right, Which was after I canceled Vonage, changed my phone number etc. I asked when the fees are charged. My issue is that the fees that are quoted do not include the sales taxes! Which is deceiving, given that I believe the sales taxes can be high.
I'm sorry but you are really getting out of control with this taxes thing.

You are saying the taxes and fees are going the be $10 on a $0 service plan while for your Vonage $17.99 plan you say the taxes are $4 making it $22/mo. That makes no sense to me how you would assign over twice as much taxes to a Free service plan as you would to a $17.99 plan and makes me think in the back of my mind you have some other motive.