Blacklist WTF?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jdorin
Blacklist WTF?

Post by jdorin » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

An offshore telemarketer (Indian Pharmacy) calls me EVERY DAY (these guys have no incentive (nor fear of consequences) to honor our Do Not Call Lists)! After each call, I visit my Call Logs to blacklist the caller's number, but it's always a different number, frequently with fewer than 10 digits .. sometimes just 3 or 4. I have my account set to multi-ring incoming numbers, so it also rings my cell phone. On my cell phone, the incoming number frequently displays as 1-111-111-111.

I have my account set to restrict UNPUBLISHED, OUT OF AREA, etc., calls, but the callers have figured out how to spoof their number - BUT they're dumb enough to supply a number that doesn't even appear to be valid (not 10 digits!).

QUESTION NO. 1
Why does the logged number on spoofed calls differ from the number displayed in my cell phone?

QUESTION NO. 2 (for the Ooma programmer gods)
Please, guys, provide a way to also block invalid numbers (anything with less than, or more than, 10-digits). PLEASE.

Groundhound

Re: Blacklist WTF?

Post by Groundhound » Sun May 02, 2010 8:23 pm

jdorin wrote:QUESTION NO. 2 (for the Ooma programmer gods)
Please, guys, provide a way to also block invalid numbers (anything with less than, or more than, 10-digits). PLEASE.
Good idea, but as soon as the spammer figures out that the lack of 10 digits is costing him he'll fix it. In the meantime have you tried messing with them a bit, the idea being to keep them on the phone as long as possible. Pretend to order with fake addresses, fake credit card numbers, anything to keep him on the line as long as possible before he figures it out - maybe if they realize your phone number is costing them money (time) to call they will stop. A long shot I know but if nothing else it might give you some entertainment.

jdorin

Post by jdorin » Sun May 02, 2010 8:52 pm

I like your fatigue 'em suggestion, Groundhound, and I've tried that, among other other attempts, but nothing works! With this Indian Pharmacy, there seems to be a database that any/all "agents" have access to, but they don't seem to have access to historical information in the DB. I've placed an order, they shipped, I disputed/canceled with my credit card company, I received, they're out the $$$ they thought they were going to get .. they still call - and have no awareness of the prior transaction!

I can always tell it's a call coming in from overseas: the background noise is constant, and the turnaround time pause gives away that it's from somewhere offshore .. I guess I'll go back to the old days' trick of "yeah, he's here, just a minute and I'll get him.." and then putting the phone down on the table and walking away from it .. until they tire and hang up. Or, like that comedy routine does: "We're investigating a crime scene here, are you his gay lover calling? Were you here when this happened?" That ought to wind up the Indians pretty well!

Any idea why the Call Log's entry, and my cell phone's display, show different numbers?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun May 02, 2010 9:24 pm

jdorin wrote: I've placed an order, they shipped, I disputed/canceled with my credit card company, I received, they're out the $$$ they thought they were going to get .. they still call - and have no awareness of the prior transaction!
Hmmm, I don't think I would have done that, you probably were placed on a "special" list once you placed an order that, at least initially, was valid. IIRC, even a domestic vendor is immune from the Federal Do Not Call List if they have a previous financial relationship with you. I wouldn't give them anything resembling real information, it's bad enough they already have your phone number.