Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Solie
Re: Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Post by Solie » Mon May 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Anybody know where I can get that L1, L2, L1+2 splitter. I check Home Depot and Fry's web site, could not find it.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon May 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Solie wrote:Anybody know where I can get that L1, L2, L1+2 splitter. I check Home Depot and Fry's web site, could not find it.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

nebebo

Post by nebebo » Wed May 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey I got my spliter at radioshack.
www.radioshack.com

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Fri May 07, 2010 5:16 am

Ok, I have now attached pictures of my outside box as well. I sure hope this helps solve my problem...
You will now have the smart box that is inside my house and this box which is outside my house.
Attachments
box2.JPG
box2.JPG (77KiB)Viewed 6188 times
box1.JPG
box1.JPG (65.16KiB)Viewed 6188 times

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 07, 2010 10:11 am

What do you think southsound?

Can't quite make it out because of the color of the pic but looks like kayembee has 2 wire bunches going into the house and got the 2 L1s connected to the (unused?) screw terminals. You think, in addition, kayembee should try to connect the orange-whites together with the blue-whites and white-oranges together with white-blues on the unused screw terminals and see if dialtone distro works? I am thinking maybe kayembee had L1 & L2 connected together before this whole thing and maybe kayembee is feeding back into a L2 jack.

tip/ring
L1 white-blue/blue-white
L2 white-orange/orange-white
L3 white-green/green-white
L4 white-brown/brown-white

Post by 8596238386 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:19 am

Just wanted you to know that I experienced the same frustrations as you
in getting dial tone to other phones in my home. I had AT&T landline service
for many years. My internet provider is Time Warner cable. I elected to have
my telephone number transferred (ported) to OOMA. The transfer was completed
two days ago. I followed the instructions provided in the the OOMA Start Guide
which was supplied when I purchased the device. Yet, the only phone that would
work was the one connected directly to the device. I troubleshooted the wall jack
in the room with my computer as well as purchased a new telephone cord to connect
the OOMA to the wall jack. Incidentally, my computer and OOMA Telo is also in an
upstairs room! I called OOMA customer service several times for assistance. They
told me to make sure my AT&T service is deactivated. I contacted AT&T and they
assured me that it was cancelled/deactivated two days ago. Still, I was unable to get
dial tone on my other phones. Today, I finally resolved the problem by disconnecting
the telephone wire on the outside telephone box. In my case, I had a jack that simply
needed to be disconnected in the telephone box. If, as I believe you later describe, you
only have wires that are connected to terminals (and no jack), I would think that all
you would have to do is disconnect the wires from the terminals. That's provded you
have no other services passing through your in-house telephone cable.

Today, my OOMA service works great! Regarding the splitter that I saw being referred
to in several postings, I used one from Walmart called a Duplex Jack that plugs in
the back of the phone port of your device. To this you connect both the cord from
the wall jack and your telephone next to your device. For you and others that may
experience these frustrations in the future, I offer this advice. When contacting your
telephone landline provider and if you're having your telephone number ported, it isn't
enough to tell them to cancel or deactivate your service. You must use the term
"disconnect your service" which can only be done at the box which is usually outside
the house. All it takes is a screwdriver unless you want to pay to have a technician
do it for less than 5 minutes of work.

I hope that you have your OOMA service up and running by now. Hopefully, this posting
will help others down the road. Also, if you have an answering machine elsewhere in
the house that you want to keep as your primary phone for receiving messages (as do
I), I will be glad to assist.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Welcome, I like to echo what southsound said to another user:
southsound wrote:(1) welcome to ooma and to the forum! and (2) you might want to call customer support at 888 711-6662 and have them change your username to something besides your phone number. I for one don't like having my number accessable to all the spammers, scammers, and bots that search the Internet for phone numbers.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Thu May 13, 2010 1:40 pm

I would like to say that my wall jacks are working but unfortunately that is not the case. I have connected the wires on the outside box and have disconnected all the wires located in my outside box. Right now it is apparent that neither is working. Still not sure if the Smart Box that I have in the basement of my home is affecting this or not. I cannot find anyone that will come to my home to resolve the problem, so I am at the mercy of the forum to help me which is tough because no one seems to have a system set up like mine. I am just beyond frustrated.

I still have only one working phone which is located upstairs and connected directly in my Telo. Fortunately it is a cordless phone, so I can take it with me throughout the house. I just never thought moving to Ooma would be this much trouble and that I would lose services like my fax machine, caller ID on my TV via DIRECTV and the use of the phones I had in my home. Yes, I have saved money but I have lost all my conveniences.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu May 13, 2010 1:49 pm

What part of the country are you located in? Is it a very rurual area or a metro area? I find it hard to believe that in this time of so many out of work people that there isn't a retired or laid off ex-telephone company installer that could not be found to take care of it for you. Even in our small town of Shelton there are many who do phone installation who may have never seen your exact box but are able to use line tracing equipment to determine what wires go where and make it all work. Maybe even a person on this forum who would be willing to do the work. Of course, I would not expect that anyone would do it for free but a couple of hours at $25 an hour would have your up and running and might bless a person struggling with finances due to the economy.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Thu May 13, 2010 1:56 pm

That would be nice if I could find such a person. I live in Charles Town, WV, which is in the eastern panhandle of WV. Maybe I can post something and see if I get any hits otherwise I will just have to live with things as they are until something better comes along.