International Call Quality - Hong Kong

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
luntam
International Call Quality - Hong Kong

Post by luntam » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I just want to focus on international calling to Hong Kong and that is why I didn't post on the "International Call Quality" thread. This evening, I make a call to Hong Kong and the phone rang about 8 times. My mother-in-law picked up the phone and answered but the phone was still ringing at my end in the U.S.. After 2 tries and still the same issue, my wife called her mom on skype and she said she picked up the phone but no sound from us. Luckily, I didn't get charged for it. My balance is $10. Anything special I should do or tips? If this is a problem with Ooma, any ideas to improve on international call quality? Without fixing the international calling for Hong Kong, I will not sign up with premier services. Tech support can check my phone logs. I would like to move from skype to Ooma for all international calling. Thanks.

amoney

Re: International Call Quality - Hong Kong

Post by amoney » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 am

Well when you said you called via skype and had the same issue, that removes Ooma at fault, with skype your not using Ooma, it appears to be a VOIP routing issue.

You can try to call Ooma support and have them check the number your calling and perhaps they will look into who the VOIP carrier is and contact them to correct the issue.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

luntam

Post by luntam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 am

Oops. We didn't have problem with skype. It was just Ooma where the phone just keep on ringing on my side and mother-in-law answered from her but she couldn't hear us. She told us over the skype telephone call.

Update 1/29/10:

Talked to CS tech support this morning and I opened a case with them on issue above. I was told that Ooma doesn't have large user base calling Hong Kong and it's a hit or miss on connection. I told CS tech support that the phone does ring at mother-in-law's house which mean you hit the right house. The phone at my end (United States) just keep on ringing. We end up calling her on skype and talk. How can I get my $10 prepaid credit back??

Update 1/30/10:

Called another friend in Hong Kong and the phone just keep on ringing on my side (United States - California). Call them up on skype and it's working. Ooma. Please fix the problem or take Hong Kong off your list of country to call. Will tell friends to put Ooma on hold and NOT buy for now.

kevinc

Post by kevinc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Same problem here, do not use Ooma if you intend to call people in Hong Kong. Calls make to and from Hong Kong are highly unreliable.

I got my unit from Costco.com more than 30 days ago, not sure how to return it.

luntam

Post by luntam » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 pm

CS told me the other day that it's a routing issue with the carriers to oversea. I'm almost 30 days into Ooma and i'm going to keep it. Still cheaper than landline and I break even in 8 months.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 pm

kevinc wrote:Same problem here, do not use Ooma if you intend to call people in Hong Kong. Calls make to and from Hong Kong are highly unreliable.

I got my unit from Costco.com more than 30 days ago, not sure how to return it.
You can return any costco.com purchase to any Costco location - or if that is inconvenient, just call their customer service number on their website and they will tell you how and where to ship it. Costco is fabulous about returns. On this device, there is no problem no matter how long you have owned it. Which means you might want to keep it for a little while longer and see if things don't improve in a short while.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

oompah

Post by oompah » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Our international calling is mostly to Hong Kong. We have found call quality through mid-April unusable to HK - extremely long lag, echo, dropped calls, etc. Disappointing that Ooma doesn't seem to care enough to fix this. I managed to unlock the ATA from my old VOIP service and set it up with an alternative carrier that has given great quality calls for a lower cost. I would never have bothered if the Ooma international quality had been good, but now there's no reason to look back and Ooma has lost our business for international calling. It doesn't seem like a good business decision when they're selling the basic unit for a fixed price.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Calls to Taiwan were fine for me. If HK quality wasn't that good, unless you call more than $30 worth every month, ooma would still be a better option to keep and use calling card.

luntam

Post by luntam » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:03 pm

We can connect to Hong Kong now but the voice is very low. If I call someone in the U.S., the voice is very clear. I pretty much gave up using Ooma to call Hong Kong. We will use skype for our Hong Kong calls which is very clear.

Ein

Post by Ein » Wed May 05, 2010 12:17 am

Don't know what's causing your problem? Network or equipment?

My Mom has been making calls to China and HK without problem. If it's a Ooma problem her calls should have been affected too. Unless Ooma routes calls differently depending where the calls originated from.