OOMA Hub Red Light Blinking

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
chibitul
OOMA Hub Red Light Blinking

Post by chibitul » Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm

I have a Hub which I activated in December 2009. It all worked great until March 14 when Daylight Savings time when into effect. I work up on March 14 (Sunday) and saw the red light blinking and no dial tone. I checked the internet connection, it was fine. I even hooked up my laptop to OOMA directly with an ethernet cable, rather than connecting to WiFi, and saw that OOMA had intenet connection, but no service. I went into the Web Interface of OOMA and saw the message "connecting..." and nothing happened.

Code: Select all

Navigation 
Home 
Settings 
Network 
Advanced 
Device Information 
Status 
Ports 
 Your ooma Network is Disconnected() 
    Internet: Connected 
    Ooma Core: Connecting, please wait... 
    Phone Line: Disconnected 
 Ooma Services 
    Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network 
    Second Line: Enabled 
    Voice Mail: Enabled 
Home 
This situation seems to happen now at least once per week, where for several hours the light is constantly turning red and blinking for several minutes, maybe 1/2 hour, then goes Blue again for some time, and back to blinking red.

I contacted OOMA support and they told me to reset the device, which I did (O held the OOMA tab down and unplug the power and plugged back and waited 30 seconds before releasing the tab).

I think I have the network set up properly, but just in case, I tried to put the OOMA directly to the cable modem (Comcast) and then put the Apple Airport Router after the OOMA. Same thing happens randomly, it seems to work fine for several days, maybe a week, then all of a sudden I see the red light. All this time the internet connection is fine (yes, I am sure I am connected to MY router, and I even tryed a wired connection to OOMA and the 'net works just fine).

I have another VOIP line (Gizmo) which always works, and I even unplugged that to avoind any conflict with OOMA and I still have these issues...

if I contact OOMA support, by they time they get back to me (several hours later) the OOMA works again, and when OOMA is dead, I cannot call them :(

please help! and many many thanks.

southsound

Re: OOMA Hub Red Light Blinking

Post by southsound » Tue May 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Connect a computer to the home port of your ooma. From that computer, browse to setup.ooma.com. That will take you to the internal webserver in your ooma for the configuration pages. If that does not resolve, you can enter the IP address of the server: 172.27.35.1 From there, select the Network tab and where it gives you options for the MODEM Port MAC Address select Use Built In. Then click update and for good measure, I would reboot the ooma. Your problems should be cured.

And lest I forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum! You're going to like it here! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

chibitul

Post by chibitul » Wed May 05, 2010 3:10 am

Many thanks, I did update the MAC address to use built-in as you suggested (it was set for Automatic, but the MAC was identical with the built-in). Anyway, I update to use built-in and then I rebooted the Hub, now the light is blue. let's see how it works now. Any idea why this is happening?

chibitul

Post by chibitul » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

well, 10 minutes later and the red light is blinking again.

I wonder if my device is defective? :?

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 am

Can you tell if it starts blinking when the Hub renews its IP address. If you're connected to a router most give 24 hour leases which means the hub will try to renew every 12 hours. When connected directly to the modem you should get longer lease times, so do you notice that it is more stable when connected to the modem? What you could try is giving the Hub a Static IP from the router so it doesn't have to renew...
Go AVS!

chibitul

Post by chibitul » Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 am

thanks, will try that later (I don't have time now, lunch break is short and I need to go back to work... when I came home for lunch, the light was blinking red again).

I will try the static IP, and I will also try to connect the OOMA directly the the cable modem.

thanks, will post an update in a few days

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed May 05, 2010 8:53 am

Sounds like a plan... If this doesn't work and you're still under warranty you might IM ntoy and see if an RMA may be in order?
Go AVS!

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 am

Sounds like a problem I had awhile back - You didn't say anything about how you connect to the internet, but if it's Verizon you definitely should look at a thread that I started when I solved my problem (up and down at least once an hour one weekend) its over here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6962 even if it isn't Verizon 'my solution' will cost you nothing to try.
Own: 1 Hub, 1 Scout ... "Common Sense Information Technology" is the focus of http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:59 am

Hello,

The static ip sounds like a good idea to try. Last log I show is 5/4. I took a look at some of hte archive logs & did not see anything out of the ordinary. Other otpion if possible is to take hub to another location to see if it is stable to rule out
enviornment. Hard to tell if cable provider(ISP) made config changes that affects Ooma.

chibitul

Post by chibitul » Wed May 05, 2010 4:07 pm

thanks guys, all seem good ideas.

It's weird that when this happens, OOMA still has internet connection, I was able to surf when connected directly to OOMA.
Also I had the OOMA connected directly to cable modem and I still had the problem. It's so random that it's very hard to troubleshoot.

At lunch break I read your posts and I decided to reboot the Apple Airport Extreme Router, and when I came home at 6 PM the OOMA was happy and it stays happy ever since (blue light).

I will try to make a static IP and also use Open DNS next time I have the problem (could happen tonight, or in 3 weeks, you never know)

I have a second OOMA which I just got yesterday and maybe I activate that one this weekend and then watch them both to see if both go nuts at the same time or at random times.

One last thought, I have COMCAST internet, and they really push their triple play, which is VOIP for $33 (and 2 other things to make the total $99). I wonder if COMCAST is messing with other VOIP traffic to make people sign up to their own VOIP? would that be possible?

thanks again