Distributing Dial Tone stopped working

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
SLOoma
Re: Distributing Dial Tone stopped working

Post by SLOoma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks. I just disconnected the voice modem wires from the screw terminals. So far, so good - still have Ooma dialtone throughout. I think I now understand why I was getting the busy signal with those wires still connected but going nowhere. What I don't understand is why it works for awhile before dying.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll report back if it is working/not working tomorrow.

Thanks!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Hopefully the whole problem was just some wires coming loose in that little box junction.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 pm

SLOoma wrote:Thanks. I just disconnected the voice modem wires from the screw terminals. So far, so good - still have Ooma dialtone throughout. I think I now understand why I was getting the busy signal with those wires still connected but going nowhere. What I don't understand is why it works for awhile before dying.

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll report back if it is working/not working tomorrow.

Thanks!
That little junction box is a real mess - and from the picture, has 7 cables going to it. My recommendation is to replace it with a punchdown block that is made to handle that many wires. It is no wonder that your dialtone was flakey - that little junction box is made for (at the most) 4 cables.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Sat May 01, 2010 8:42 am

That little junction box is a real mess - and from the picture, has 7 cables going to it. My recommendation is to replace it with a punchdown block that is made to handle that many wires. It is no wonder that your dialtone was flakey - that little junction box is made for (at the most) 4 cables.
Glad it's sorted: My new checklist reads :-)
Check that you don't have DSL (dry loop etc) coming in to your house; you only had a single line phone service; you don't have some kind of smart-phone/pbx/DIY JUNCTION BOX or other equipment between your OOMA and the NIB.
Own: 1 Hub, 1 Scout ... "Common Sense Information Technology" is the focus of http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/

SLOoma

Post by SLOoma » Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am

lbmofo wrote:That little junction box is a real mess - and from the picture, has 7 cables going to it. My recommendation is to replace it with a punchdown block that is made to handle that many wires. It is no wonder that your dialtone was flakey - that little junction box is made for (at the most) 4 cables.
Everything is working, so I will leave as is for now. It never gave me problems before.
southsound wrote:Check that you don't have DSL (dry loop etc) coming in to your house; you only had a single line phone service; you don't have some kind of smart-phone/pbx/DIY JUNCTION BOX or other equipment between your OOMA and the NIB.
Your checklist did remind me that I had disconnected the voice modem which connected to the junction box.

Thanks all!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

SLOoma, you have mixed up some of the quotes LOL ;)

kame60

Post by kame60 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:40 pm

I have a similar problem. Panasonic phones work perfectly connected to the Ooma. When I plugged Ooma into my home phone network and then connected a second Panasonic set tot he phone plug I hear Ooma signal but when I dial I always have busy signal. Flash button does not help.
Nothing else is connected to the wall...no other services... Any idea what happens and what can I do to fix it?

Sincerely
Yakov

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:17 am

kame60 wrote:I have a similar problem. Panasonic phones work perfectly connected to the Ooma. When I plugged Ooma into my home phone network and then connected a second Panasonic set tot he phone plug I hear Ooma signal but when I dial I always have busy signal. Flash button does not help.
Nothing else is connected to the wall...no other services... Any idea what happens and what can I do to fix it?

Sincerely
Yakov
This thread is a good read on how to distribute dialtone throughout the house. Before anything else, make sure you disconnected your house network from the phone company.

gwwooley

Post by gwwooley » Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 pm

To distribute dial tone via your home wiring to multiple phones you must use the WALL port, it has additional drive capability. See https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... hone-jacks for more info ...

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm

gwwooley wrote:To distribute dial tone via your home wiring to multiple phones you must use the WALL port, it has additional drive capability. See https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... hone-jacks for more info ...
The wall port does not provide a dial tone. It accepts a dial tone from a landline to integrate it with Ooma.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx