Changed network setup, now can't call out

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tommies
Re: Changed network setup, now can't call out

Post by tommies » Wed May 05, 2010 5:50 pm

8653812179 wrote:I am just thoroughly confused and severely disappointed with Ooma. I have been working now to get this Ooma system up for over a month with very little help at all from Ooma. I have a Motorola surfboard SBG901 wireless modem/router combo (gateway). It has only one female Ethernet jack on it. I have to use it going to Ooma. How do I determine my Ooma IP address?
You can look it up at setup.ooma.com and click on Status tab. However, to setup port forwarding/port triggering you need to assign a static ip for the telo first.
The setupOoma only gives the ip for the HOME port –which is just used for my desktop computer –does the phone jack on the back of the hub have an IP assigned to it also?
No. The PHONE port supplies the dial tone to your phone.
I am trying to set up a DMZ with the Motorola software and all I see is the ability to set up a DMZ host – which would leave my computer exposed without the firewall.
NO, I not recommend using DMZ.
My ISP is Charter and they use (as most do now) DHCP WAN. They have support from the Philippines –which is lousily –just like Ooma! I tried to configure the port triggers using the numbers I got here on this forum and from Ooma –however even with all that work Ooma sometimes works and sometime it still does not allow my transmission outbound to get through when I call out. I can still hear however they cannot hear me. When I get an inbound call I do have full duplex capabilities but only with inbound calls. Also, about 80% of the time calling any or all companies –Home Depot, Lowes, etc. when I am prompted to push a number on the phone their computer does not recognize the transmission –so it’s ignored and I am unable to get through their voicemail tree. I also have hang up issues often –for no reason at all the line drops then I get another dam Ooma dial tone! I have checked my ping, packet drop, speed and jitter. With the firewall on I get a huge packet loss – but I assume this is normal and the firewall is doing the safe thing – firewalling! If I have the port triggers correct it should allow Ooma to receive and transmit without blocking the ports Ooma needs.
I'm guessing here. It probably your router firewall blocks the ports that ooma needed for out going packets. You need to open these ports for out going packets from telo ip.

Code: Select all

Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443. 
Any help would be appreciated –like a phone contact for support on these Motorola SBG901 modems!
Here is the link for the modem manual in pdf
tommies

cpmkmk

Post by cpmkmk » Fri May 07, 2010 5:46 am

Question in the back of Ooma is the HOME port and the Tele on the same IP?
So if I assign a static IP address to the HOME is that also for the telephone ports also?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 am

8653812179 wrote:Question in the back of Ooma is the HOME port and the Tele on the same IP?
So if I assign a static IP address to the HOME is that also for the telephone ports also?
The Phone port doesn't have an IP address. The Phone port is a normal analog telephone line.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

cpmkmk

Post by cpmkmk » Fri May 07, 2010 5:56 am

Also where in the Motorola software can I assign a static IP? I know how to open up the motorola sofware -but I cannot seem to find where I could assign a static IP address to the back ports on Ooma -home, tele? Does anyone know where in motorola's program to apply a static IP address?

ShapeShifter

Post by ShapeShifter » Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 am

8653812179 wrote:Question in the back of Ooma is the HOME port and the Tele on the same IP?
The telephone port doesn't have an IP address.

You can assign a static address to the MODEM port, or have it dynamically get the address for that port from the modem or router that it's connected to.

For the HOME port, you always assign it a static address, which needs to be different from the MODEM port address. At the same time, you can also assign an address range where the Ooma device can hand out dynamic address to other computers/devices connected to the HOME port.

But the telephone port is not a network port, at least not in the sense of it being an Ethernet network like the MODEM nd HOME ports. That port does not run TCP/IP, so there is no address (whether it be static or dynamic) assigned to that port. That port is a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) port that provides an analog dial tone, and while it can also be an interconnect with Ooma Scout devices, there is no network configuration or IP address associated with it.

cpmkmk

Post by cpmkmk » Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 am

thanks for the info -but where do in Motorola sofeware do I assign an static IP to the home port of Ooma?

ShapeShifter

Post by ShapeShifter » Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 am

8653812179 wrote:Also where in the Motorola software can I assign a static IP? I know how to open up the motorola sofware -but I cannot seem to find where I could assign a static IP address to the back ports on Ooma -home, tele? Does anyone know where in motorola's program to apply a static IP address?
I think you have it backward -- you don't assign a static address to the Ooma device from the Motorola modem, you assign it from the Ooma device's setup screens.

The Motorola device will normally hand out a dynamic address for the Ooma device to use for its MODEM port. If you want to override this and give the MODEM port a static address, you normally do that from the Ooma device end. (Although some routers can be configured such that their DHCP server hands out a fixed address every time a particular device asks for one, sort of a static DHCP address.)

However, you are asking about assigning a static address to the HOME port. The Motorola device knows nothing about the HOME port, the router within the Ooma device shields it from that. There is nothing you can do on the Motorola end to affect the IP address of the HOME port, or of anything connected to the home port. The address of the HOME port is always static, and is always defined from the Ooma device's setup screen. Furthermore, the address that the Ooma device's DHCP server hands out is controlled on that same setup screen.

What Ooma device are you using? Is it an Ooma Hub, or a Telo? If a Hub, go to its setup screens (setup.ooma.com) and select the "Advanced" settings page. The first two rows (Home Port) are where you define the static IP address of the HOME port, while the next two rows (DHCP Configuration) are where you define the range of address for the Hub's DHCP server to hand out.

All this being said, unless you have a compelling reason to change these, there really isn't much need to do so, especially if you don't really understand what all of the numbers mean.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by setting that address?

cpmkmk

Post by cpmkmk » Fri May 07, 2010 6:49 am

What I am trying to accomplish is getting all the ports to stay open for Ooma so I can talk and be heard when I calling outbound. Presently I configured Ooma setup to use a port outside the range of my DHCP for now. Then I applied all of Ooma’s ports within Motorola’s software advanced tab –port triggers part. It still eludes me as to the range of my ISP DHCP. Also one the IP is set in the Ooma software for the home port –this I take it means my desktop will have this static ip also along with the Ooma HUB I am using?
Does this make any since yet to you or am I far off base?

tommies

Post by tommies » Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm

The ip for the telo HOME port is 172.27.35.1 by default, and this is where you connect to the telo setup pages.

When I said static ip for the telo, I means the ip address of the telo MODEM port (labeled To Internet) of which is assigned by the router. I used the word 'static ip' because my router uses it, but on some others, a different word is used--such as 'reserved ip address'. So instead of assigning a static ip (on my rotuer), it become reserve a private ip in some others (your Motorola included)

The bottom line is guarantee the device has the same ip address every time.

Again, you need to open the ports for telo in out bound direction. (ports forwarding and triggering is for in bound direction and not needed for the telo.)
tommies