Can't get Ooma Scout to work

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
imnotaseal
Can't get Ooma Scout to work

Post by imnotaseal » Sat May 15, 2010 10:18 pm

I just bought an Ooma Scout, and can't seem to get it to work. I've followed all the instructions for over an hour, so I must be missing something...

To keep it simple, I've now connected the Scout directly to the Hub using the supplied phone cord, "wall" port on the Hub to the "wall" port on the Scout. After the startup sequence, all I get on the Hub are red lights on the bottom row. I've tried restarting, power cycling, plugging the phone line in "phone", "wall", etc. to no avail...

Any ideas?

lbmofo

Re: Can't get Ooma Scout to work

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Your Hub was working fine? Blue tab on the Hub prior to buying this Scout?

imnotaseal

Post by imnotaseal » Sat May 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Yes, the hub is working fine, all blue lights, and I've had no problems with it since buying a month ago. I just bought the scout and trying to get it to work with the hub.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Hub's "wall" to Scout's "wall" is right. If Hub's tab is blue, then powering up the Scout should come up blue. You mention "all blue lights".....The Hub only has 1 blue tab.....you don't have the black Telo right? Telo isn't compatible with the Scout.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun May 16, 2010 6:51 am

lbmofo wrote:Hub's "wall" to Scout's "wall" is right. If Hub's tab is blue, then powering up the Scout should come up blue. You mention "all blue lights".....The Hub only has 1 blue tab.....you don't have the black Telo right? Telo isn't compatible with the Scout.
Quick way to check:

- The hub (first unit from ooma) is WHITE. It was often packaged with a scout as what ooma calls the CORE system.

- The Telo (newer unit) is BLACK. It DOES NOT support the scout but does support Telo handsets. The WALL port on the Telo is only used when you integrate a landline (bad idea, but that's for another forum entry).
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

imnotaseal

Post by imnotaseal » Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks - that explains it. I have the Telo (had my terminology wrong). So I guess it won't work with this.

That being said, the reason I bought the scout is to have my second phone number have a second voicemail answering the call. Is there a way to do this with the Telo?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 pm

imnotaseal wrote:Thanks - that explains it. I have the Telo (had my terminology wrong). So I guess it won't work with this.

That being said, the reason I bought the scout is to have my second phone number have a second voicemail answering the call. Is there a way to do this with the Telo?
Yes, see: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 916#p55690