Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: Still Cannot Distribute Dial Tone Throughout House

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 pm

tommies wrote:PS.
Do not mix the blue wires with any others color wires. I say it again, only connecting the wires with exactly the same color together.
tommies, I was suggesting kayembee to at least connect L1s and L2s together at the NIB since I think kayembee has mixture of L1 and L2 jacks in the house. If L1 and L2 are connected together, then all kayembee's jacks would work once dialtone fed back into one of the jacks.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 13, 2010 7:43 pm

kayembee wrote:Unfortunately I clipped off the copper so I don't know what the original leads were. Now I have to hope that connecting the blue wires and the orange wires I should be good to go. I had a phone line and a fax line before I got the Ooma. The red connectors that I have will hold up to three wires. So I would put the wires together as you mentioned.

This may be a silly question, but to I connect the white-blue with the white-orange to make one wire that is inserted in the red connector and then the blue-white with the orange white to make the second wire to be inserted into the connector? Just need to make sure I do this right tomorrow.
kayembee, the connectors that would connect 3 wires together wouldn't work; to connect L1 and L2, you'd need to connect 4 wires together in your case.

white-blue + white-blue + white-orange + white-orange
blue-white + blue-white + orange-white + orange-white

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 am

:D Well I am finally doing the happy dance!!!! Yes, I now have distributed dial tone throughout my house. The last posts finally got me situated. I went to Home Depot and purchased the yellow two wire telephone splice connectors. The person that helped me formerly worked at the telephone company and reiterated what you all told me to do. I connected four sets of wires from the two bundles - blue with blue, white blue with white blue, orange with orange and white orange with white orange. So there were four connectors when all was said and done. Close everything back up and came in the house and set up my Ooma as the instructions stated. When I plugged the phone wire into the outlet in my study and then plugged another phone into another outlet, there was still dead silence. I was disappointed because I thought that once again I had failed. So I got a really long phone wire and plugged it into another wall jack into another room and that is what did it. All phones were connected. I was ecstatic. I can finally use all the phones in all the other rooms.

The jack that appears to not be working correctly was the jack that was used for DSL. I had a DSL jack plugged into that jack and plugged my fax line in one side and the DSL cord was in the other. Wondering if I need to use a splitter on that jack. I might give it a try to see what happens. For now I know that to get the dialtone distributed it has to be plugged into another jack other than the one in my study.

I want to THANK EVERYONE who has replied to my questions and had to deal with my frustrations. You can't imagine how much I appreciate each and every response. You all have been the best, you truly have been.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 14, 2010 11:43 am

That's great kayembee! Good to hear.

For the jack in your study, plug in a 2 line plitter like this one and see if you get dialtone from L2 or L1+L2. If so, feedback your dialtone through the splitter's L2 in your study instead of the long cord to another room.

Dougal40

Post by Dougal40 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Open the jack where the ooma is plugged in. If the orange and orange white are tied to it replace them with the blue and blue white. Your DSL probably used the orange pair and the rest of the phones use the blue pair. Hope this helps!!

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sat May 15, 2010 1:32 pm

The orange and orange and white were connected. I changed the wires to the blue and blue and white but that didn't help. I am going to get the splitter that was recommended and see if that helps. Having a long cord is not the ideal solution right now, but I know at least it works this way until I can solve the problem with the jack.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sat May 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Dougal40 wrote:Open the jack where the ooma is plugged in. If the orange and orange white are tied to it replace them with the blue and blue white. Your DSL probably used the orange pair and the rest of the phones use the blue pair. Hope this helps!!
I would say so too.
kayembee wrote:The orange and orange and white were connected. I changed the wires to the blue and blue and white but that didn't help. I am going to get the splitter that was recommended and see if that helps. Having a long cord is not the ideal solution right now, but I know at least it works this way until I can solve the problem with the jack.
I would suggest you open another (working) wall jack and compare to the DSL jack to see how the wires are connected, and re-wire the DSL jack if needed, using the other as reference.

I suggest that you try these in order, till it works
  1. lbmofo suggestion, i.e. try a L1&L2 splitter
  2. Dougal40 suggestion, as I clarify above.
  3. try the L1&L2 splitter again, after you're done re-wired the jack
Hope it will work out for you now.
tommies

Dougal40

Post by Dougal40 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 pm

The orange pair brings the DSL from outside. The blue pair should take the dial tone back to the outside NID. You may need two jacks, one for DSL in (orange pair) and one for dial tone out (blue pair). This will make it easier to trouble shoot later if you need to. If you tie all the blues together and blue/whites together in the NID that should do it. You must have a DSL filter in the NID. Good Luck!!!

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm

I am no longer using DSL. When I got my Ooma I switched to cable modem via Comcast. I am going to do like another person suggested and look at a working jack and see how it is wired and do the same thing with the jack that is not working. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

kayembee

Post by kayembee » Sat May 29, 2010 12:03 pm

I am just now getting back to this. I checked the wall jack that is working and there are two bundles of wires coming into that jack whereas the one that is not working only has one bundle of wires. I connected the wires exactly like the ones for the jack that is working. I have several wires that are not being used. In the jack that is working, the wires that are alike are connected similar to what I did in the box outside my house. Not sure if these unattached wires for the non-functioning jack need to be clipped together or just left alone. Regardless this jack is still not working with or with the splitter. In the meantime I am still running the long wire into the other room.

As always, if anyone has any other suggestions, they are always appreciated.

Thanks!