Local Calls ring then go busy?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
kb4ob
Local Calls ring then go busy?

Post by kb4ob » Thu May 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Lately, I have been having issues with local calls where the calling number will ring once then promptly go to busy signal.
Today, I ran into this again with a local business number which I dialed three times in sucession and had the above results.

Just as an experiment, I dialed the number using my area code prefix and the called number rang OK and answered.

Any one else having similar issues?

Hollywood

Re: Local Calls ring then go busy?

Post by Hollywood » Thu May 13, 2010 7:31 pm

go to my.ooma and logon. under preferences, the setting "Enable 10 digit dialing" should be checked, but if it is checked, try reversing it and see if it works better.

San Jose

Post by San Jose » Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 pm

I have problems with calls ringing once and then going to a fast busy signal - both long distance and to local mobile phone numbers. Happening almost every 1 out of 2 calls . . . Help!

I tried the posted suggestion of "enabling 10-digit calling" and then clicking to cancel and not enable - and it still happened - with it both ways.

How can I stop/prevent this?

steveg944

Post by steveg944 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:53 am

I am also having this same problem. I am still using my landline number as my main number (i.e. I have not ported my number to Ooma yet).

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Fri May 21, 2010 6:07 am

I have noticed that Ooma calls which ring sometimes have two different ring sounds. Based on what I know about how VoIP works, I suspect the Ooma network uses a "comfort ring" to signal to the caller that a connection is being made before it can determine whether the call will ring at the other end. The call isn't really ringing, it just sounds like it is. (This trick also takes away the caller's perception that calls take "a long time" to connect.) In this voicemail/rollover era where few calls actually go to busy signals anymore, the average user might never be aware this is happening. It sounds like you are actually calling numbers which are busy, so hearing the "comfort ring" is just confusing. What's probably happening here is that the numbers you're calling really are busy. :)
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

San Jose

Post by San Jose » Fri May 21, 2010 10:53 am

Thank you "DTMF" for your suggestion that the numbers I am trying are actually busy - but I don't believe that to be the case. For example, 3 of the numbers this morning were to: Saks Fifth Avenue; local Hospital and my office (which has multiple lines and is geared to go to voicemail immediately if all lines are tied up). Since I was able to dial them from my cell and connect immediately in each case your theory isn't correct in my instance. I called Ooma support several days ago and they said this was a "widespread complaint in my area" and that they had a "ticket" and "engineers were working on it 'as we speak' " . . . to date . . . nothing. I'm so far less than impressed and regret signing up for Premiere when a basic outgoing call can't be accomplished. If anyone know anything more, please respond. :?:

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Fri May 21, 2010 11:17 am

None of this would have anything to do with the major outage XO Communications had yesterday would it?

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Fri May 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Davesworld wrote:None of this would have anything to do with the major outage XO Communications had yesterday would it?
This is backhoe season. Nasty ol' backhoes are the natural enemy of the fiber-optic cables that deliver our calls. It's not hard to imagine that the providers Ooma uses to deliver those calls might have fewer alternative routes when a fiber cut happens. When there is no way to route a call, we get a busy signal.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

ECVoice

Post by ECVoice » Fri May 21, 2010 6:03 pm

San Jose wrote:Thank you "DTMF" for your suggestion that the numbers I am trying are actually busy - but I don't believe that to be the case. For example, 3 of the numbers this morning were to: Saks Fifth Avenue; local Hospital and my office (which has multiple lines and is geared to go to voicemail immediately if all lines are tied up). Since I was able to dial them from my cell and connect immediately in each case your theory isn't correct in my instance. I called Ooma support several days ago and they said this was a "widespread complaint in my area" and that they had a "ticket" and "engineers were working on it 'as we speak' " . . . to date . . . nothing. I'm so far less than impressed and regret signing up for Premiere when a basic outgoing call can't be accomplished. If anyone know anything more, please respond. :?:
In the exact same boat...have been for a couple weeks, actually.

I can call my cell phone just fine, but my wife and work - with the same area code - won't go through. Always busy. A couple times I got one ring, but it went busy mid-way through the second ring.

Calling out of state is no problem...but I really need to be able to call my wife and work. Hope they get this resolved, otherwise dumping TimeWarner's digital phone service might not be as valuable as I'd hope.

kb4ob

Post by kb4ob » Thu May 27, 2010 6:10 am

Is anyone getting the same "busy" results when adding the area code prefix to the dialed local number?
Just curious!!
I had my 10 digit dialing enabled and disabled it as an experiment but then I can't call numbers on my wireless handset's caller ID list.