Landline integration: Conflicting information

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
thively
Re: Landline integration: Conflicting information

Post by thively » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:00 pm

darlinsk wrote:I am using Ooma with a landline, but have not "integrated" it. I keep one phone connected directly to the wall jack, without an Ooma hub or scout, and am able to use this as a standard landline. In fact, I use it all the time to call my Ooma number while testing QOS settings.
I tried this, but I get a humming noise on the land line from the Ooma system. You don't get this line noise?
I disconnect the 'wall' jack from the Ooma and the noise goes away.

darlinsk

Post by darlinsk » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:02 pm

No; I don't get any noise. It behaves as a normal phone company landline. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to why it doesn't work for you.

thively

Post by thively » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my Ooma core.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 am

If you're using a landline with ooma and hearing buzzing on your local calls, it's probably due to bad electrical grounding. I'd check out this thread for info the 3 prong power supply:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?p=2891#p2891
Bobby B

thively

Post by thively » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 am

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.
I plugged the Ooma core power supply in to a battery UPS and unplugged it from AC. So it was running off battery only. I'll see about the 3 pronged adapter.

dlong

Post by dlong » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:31 am

I had this problem. Ran a separate single ground wire that attached to the modem and the ground of the outlet. This eliminated all hum. Did this after reading that thread about the ooma grounded power supply. The single ground wire is the same instant remedy.

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Just to be clear and to make sure I understand:

Is it possible to have a landline + separate ooma number and have all traffic (local and long distance) go through ooma?

If so, how can I go about asking for this to be implemented on my account? (ie, is there a specific way I should ask for it so that my request isn't misunderstood to be something else?) I just tried to call customer service and was told this couldn't be done unless I unplug my landline from the ooma hub.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm

The only way to do that is to have a local land line that is not connected to ooma in any way and to never use it. Then make and receive all of your calls on the ooma number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:27 pm

We do this - our landline number does not go through the ooma at all. We use separate cordless phones for each line - but if you had a two-line cordless, just connect line one of the cordless to the ooma hub and connect line two to the landline. For us, it was easier to use separate systems (and corresponding ringtones) rather than invest in two-line phones (or even drag out my Panasonic 3-line PBX that I bought 9 years ago and have never used).
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 pm

I do the same as Southsound. Someday the landline will go, but for now, it's a totally separate phone line.

Wayne