Which way to do this

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jakeman02
Which way to do this

Post by jakeman02 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 am

Hello to all, newby here, forgive me if this has been discussed but i don't see much info on no modem hookup, both A and B illustrations in the Quick Setup list modem hookup also, it's late and my brain is frying so I'm asking for the best way to do this.

I hooked up my Ooma Telo yesterday along with fiber optics being installed same day, everything went well except for not realizing the anticipated blue light on the Telo must be defaulted to off when shipped because I waited on it for about 2 hours. After realizing the Telo was indeed working and turning the light on, smooth as butter.

Just for background in case it matters I previously had DSL at 3mbs down and something like .75mbs up. My current fiber optics package is rated at 15mbs both down and up and seems pretty consistent with speed test I've ran so far. I have 2 desktops, 1 wired, 1 wireless, a PS3 that I do online wireless gaming with and my router is a Linksys WRT54G2.

Now finally to get to the question. I was delightfully surprised to find out that the fiber optics installed yesterday doesn't use of a modem, just the ethernet cable is run into the house with nothing else needed. Since there is no modem in the chain, just my router, the telo and computer what's the optimal way to hook this up?

Right now I'm going (Fiber Optics Ethernet Cable to Wireless Router to Telo to Computer) and everything is working great. Just wanted to know if this is the best way to do it, especially when gaming on PS3. I've never experienced any lag with my previous 3mps DSL and don't really expect to at 15mps now either but I I've never had the Telo in the chain so I just wanted to get some thoughts.

Thanks and sorry if that was long winded but I wanted to be detailed and try not to leave anything out.

murphy

Re: Which way to do this

Post by murphy » Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 am

There is no need to connect your computer to the Telo except for when you want to access the setup page in the Telo. Connect the computer directly to the router. With those speeds there is little need for QOS.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jakeman02

Re: Which way to do this

Post by jakeman02 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks, I just connected the way you described and everything is working great.