Slow Network Behind Home Network Port

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
sgamer
Re: Slow Network Behind Home Network Port

Post by sgamer » Fri May 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Hey Feartheturtle,

By the way, thanks for recognizing that the numbers look terrible. That's something I have yet to get ooma tech support to understand (or they are not reading my messages which is more likely because they cannot be that stupid). They are responding to me that these speeds are "normal" (which would be true if it was a dial up solution) except the other thing they don't seem to understand is very few applications or even web pages will load with 35% packet loss. That's why I have to reload web pages several times before it displays properly. "Normal" to them though I guess.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 21, 2010 1:08 pm

I'd swap with a new unit.

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Fri May 21, 2010 1:59 pm

sgamer:
Is there any reason for you to use the home port? If the Telo just sits on one of your LAN ports, and you have good phone service, you could just employ the port forward trick and be OK? If you still have a few weeks before you need to make your "return decision" you could at least take it out for a nice test drive!

sgamer

Post by sgamer » Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

If the Telo is behind my router then I must rely on my router for QOS. As I mentioned, I'm a network engineer and I already have another employer provided Cisco router with an IP Phone connected behind my personal router. I don't have a lot of confidence that my home router's QOS capabilities will suffice. My wife has specific SLAs for her phone and wouldn't let me get this thing at all if it weren't for the cost savings. If it doesn't perform I lose credibility. Aside from all that, I really detest paying full price for a broken item.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Exchange for a new one.

tommies

Post by tommies » Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 pm

sgamer wrote:If the Telo is behind my router then I must rely on my router for QOS. As I mentioned, I'm a network engineer and I already have another employer provided Cisco router with an IP Phone connected behind my personal router. I don't have a lot of confidence that my home router's QOS capabilities will suffice. My wife has specific SLAs for her phone and wouldn't let me get this thing at all if it weren't for the cost savings. If it doesn't perform I lose credibility. Aside from all that, I really detest paying full price for a broken item.
Do you have access to the Cisco router setting? If yes, why not you make it the main router and handles QoS. I assume it's a better one.

BTW, what is the telo firmware version? Do you do a factory reset on the telo?

Sometime, the simpler and only answer is a new telo.
tommies

sgamer

Post by sgamer » Fri May 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Tommies,

My Cisco 871 router is connected to a DMVPN which complicates matters for reasons I don't want to get into but you are correct in that I could (and maybe will) use it as the main router. Aside from that, there is a limitation of the 871 we've recently learned which is it's only capable of passing 10Mbps or less with our configuration even though it has 10/100 port. That's a problem since most or at least many ISPs are providing much higher speeds. One thing I learned during this extravaganza is that my cable company has increased it's speed because it consistently registers over 9Mbps on dslreports now when it used to clock out at 5Mbps. I certainly don't want to miss out if they kick it up again.

PERFORMANCE PROBLEM SOLVED:
I returned the defective unit and now my Internet works as if the Telo doesn't exist. There seems to be a major quality control issue as this "new" unit came without a faceplate. I had to check the quick start guide to make sure I plugged the cables in the correct ports. The ooma sales, support and quality do not impress me in the slightest and if it were any other provider I would have cashed in and moved on but the prospect of a $4 phone "tax" bill as opposed to the $45 I'm paying now has me hoping I can break even before the end of the year and with any luck never have to communicate with them again as the ones I dealt with are idiots.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.4 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2647680 bps
Upload speed: 1058488 bps
Download quality of service: 69 %
Upload quality of service: 55 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 135 ms
Average download pause: 12 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 70 ms
Average round trip time to server: 70 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 29600000bps
Route concurrency: 11.179599
Download TCP forced idle: 75 %
Maximum route speed: 7489712bps

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Unless I am reading it wrong, 2.6Mbps down and 1Mbps up isn't "normal" with cable modem.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Sat May 22, 2010 2:45 pm

"" Download speed: 2647680 bps
Upload speed: 1058488 bps
Download quality of service: 69 %
Upload quality of service: 55 % ""

*This* is how your Internet behaves now?? :?
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 22, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm glad you got your Ooma working and I understand it can be frustrating talking to support, but please tone the attitude down a little. We are just fellow Ooma users trying to offer help in our free time. We don't have access to your complete configuration and layout when we are making suggestions. The important thing is you got it working.

I have to apologize for my first response though, as going back I misread your original post, and thought the PC and the laptop were both connected via the Ooma home port, so I though you were describing the laptop having bad performance over the home port but the PC having normal performance.

If you have 10+/1mbps service, often it won't really matter what QoS (if any) you have in your router because your bandwidth dwarfs what Ooma needs. Ooma uses around 64kbps in each direction for a single voice stream (128kbps if you use fax mode) and more if you have multiple lines simultaneously connected. It could get into trouble if the ISP queues get saturated or the upstream is exhausted causing round trip times to go above 100ms. Given your bandwidth, if you don't have heavy transfers or high bitrate streaming going on, that likely won't be happening. You may want to just experiment with Ooma as a standalone device on your network so your other devices can connect directly to the router and have full access to the bandwidth provided by your router and als to simplify the double-NAT (assuming your router is performing NAT) configuration that the current config (PCs and laptops sitting behind Ooma) has.