Ooma Core for a real cheapskate. Monthly cost?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
FogNoggin
Ooma Core for a real cheapskate. Monthly cost?

Post by FogNoggin » Sat May 22, 2010 10:41 am

I picked up an Ooma Core (Hub & Scout) at Radio Shack today for $199 to give to my sister. She's watching every penny and wants to know what she'll be paying monthly, if anything. Even after scouring these forums I can't be sure.

The only thing that's important to her is Caller-ID WITH name. Is that included in the Core, or will she have to subscribe to Premiere to get it? Also, will she pay ANY RRF's annually or monthly?

I have a Telo and am happy to pay the monthly for Premiere. But I'm having a heck of a time convincing my sister to embrace Ooma. Can anyone tell me what this tightwad will be paying? ;)

Aveamantium

Re: Ooma Core for a real cheapskate. Monthly cost?

Post by Aveamantium » Sat May 22, 2010 11:00 am

The caller ID with name was going to just be a premier feature but I think :?: that got changed such that caller ID with name is standard (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here). As for the fees the Core (Hub+Scout) should not have monthly fees. Just to make sure, read what is printed on the box and that is what she will get. Also when you activated the Core did it ask for a CC number? If not she shouldn't have fees...
Go AVS!

FogNoggin

Post by FogNoggin » Sat May 22, 2010 11:09 am

She hasn't activated it yet, so I don't know what awaits her when she does.

The box states "no monthly fees" so I'm fairly confident there will be no taxes or other fees. That's why I bought the Core.

The point of confusion is the caller-ID. Caller-ID is included with all Ooma devices, but caller-ID WITH NAME will cost you on the Telo. Still not sure about the Core.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 22, 2010 2:26 pm

With the Core, there is no RRF and CallerID incoming will reflect the name as well. One other item that Core customers get is the voicemail notification through email or text.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Aveamantium wrote:The caller ID with name was going to just be a premier feature but I think :?: that got changed such that caller ID with name is standard (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here).
Not sure if it is supposed to be this way but I have a friend/family that has a standalone hub with basic service getting callerid name and number. I thought it was a bug but maybe that's the way it is supposed to be?

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 pm

lbmofo wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:The caller ID with name was going to just be a premier feature but I think :?: that got changed such that caller ID with name is standard (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here).
Not sure if it is supposed to be this way but I have a friend/family that has a standalone hub with basic service getting callerid name and number. I thought it was a bug but maybe that's the way it is supposed to be?
This seemed to be a hot topic (as with the Voicemail) when the TOS was changing with the release of the Telos. I've searched the site and all I can find is Caller ID is included with the Telo and Hub (no mention of "with name" on the hub or telo). All I know is I have a Core Hub system (no premier) and a Telo w/ Premier and they both get Caller ID w/ Name but I can't speak to Telo's w/o Premier?
Go AVS!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm

I thought standalone Hub basic service getting callerid name was a bug because I thought only ooma Core got that (callerid name + number) with basic/free service.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:05 pm

lbmofo wrote:
AFAIK, there are three tiers of service - basic, core and premier. The hub only package, (still?) available from Costco B&M stores, get the core service, but were subject to the $11.75 per year RRF after the first year. I'm not sure if they're now subject to the new monthly fees, if they're still available. I'll have to look next time I'm at Costco.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Aveamantium wrote:This seemed to be a hot topic (as with the Voicemail) when the TOS was changing with the release of the Telos. I've searched the site and all I can find is Caller ID is included with the Telo and Hub (no mention of "with name" on the hub or telo). All I know is I have a Core Hub system (no premier) and a Telo w/ Premier and they both get Caller ID w/ Name but I can't speak to Telo's w/o Premier?
Your Core (hub+scout) has no fees and has caller-id with name. It is in the marketing literature for that product so that is why Ooma includes it. They later had new product packaging that started charging and changed the caller-id to number only.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5505

I've highlighted the features in the Core service level that comes with the Ooma Core (Hub+Scout) bundle but which are only available as Premiere for Telo users. Besides those features, Ooma Core has no fees at all. Telo (and standalone Hub) users have either $11.75 yearly RRF (1st year free) or monthly RRF depending on what the packaging says.
The Talker wrote: ooma Core (no monthly fee required)

Free US calling: Call anyone, anytime, anywhere in the U.S.
Phone number flexibility: Choose a new number anywhere in the U.S. or transfer an existing number for a one-time charge
Caller-ID: See the name and number of who is calling (caller-ID compatible phone required)
Call-waiting: Switch to a new incoming call when you are already on the line
Call-waiting caller-ID: See the name and number of a new incoming call before you switch over
Voicemail: Access your messages remotely from any phone or web browser
Voicemail notifications: Receive notifications via email or text when incoming messages arrive
Broadband Answering Machine: Listen to messages hands-free with the built-in speaker
ooma Lounge: Hear messages and control your preferences online
Call logs: Check your calling history online; filter and sort to find the call you are looking for
Enhanced 911: Emergency personnel are automatically given your registered address when you dial 911 (subject to availability)
Free in-network calling: Call another ooma customer anywhere in the world for free
Outbound caller name: Have your name show up when you call out (other party must have caller-ID with name feature)
Caller-ID blocking: Use *67/*82 to block or display your caller-ID/name for outgoing calls
Anonymous call blocking: Automatically block anonymous calls from ringing your phone
Call return: Return the last incoming call by dialing *69
Landline backup: Automatic fallback during power/Internet outages or 911 calls (requires basic landline to be plugged-in)
Prepaid international calling: Make low-cost international calls starting at only a penny per minute
Directory assistance: Make 411 calls at $0.99 per call
Warranty: One-year limited warranty

ooma Premier (optional: $12.99/month or $99.99/year)

Free number porting: Transfer an existing number for free with an annual subscription to ooma Premier
Personal blacklist: Blacklist unwanted callers to prevent them from being able to reach you
Community blacklist: Harness the power of the ooma community to block unwanted callers before they've tried to call you
Call forwarding: Forward your calls to your mobile phone when you are away from home
Multi-Ring: Simultaneously ring your ooma number and your mobile phone, or any number you choose
Message screening: Screen your calls by listening in as a caller is leaving their message
Voicemail forwarding: Have your voicemail automatically forwarded to email
Instant Second Line: Make a second call even when someone else is on the phone (requires ooma Scout)
Enhanced call-waiting: Answer an incoming call even when someone else is on the phone (requires ooma Scout)
Three-way conferencing: Conference two lines together at a push of a button
Send to Voicemail: Transfer a call to voicemail at a touch of a button
Do Not Disturb: Transfer all incoming calls directly to voicemail at a touch of a button
Personal numbers: Select additional phone numbers in any calling area in the US
Directed ringing: Configure your personal number to only ring on your private extension (requires ooma Scout)
Private voicemail: Create private voicemail and Lounge accounts dedicated to a personal number (requires ooma Scout)
Distinctive ringing: Control the ring pattern based on a personal number
Last edited by sfhub on Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 22, 2010 5:07 pm

bw1 wrote:AFAIK, there are three tiers of service - basic, core and premier. The hub only package, (still?) available from Costco B&M stores, get the core service, but were subject to the $11.75 per year RRF after the first year. I'm not sure if they're now subject to the new monthly fees, if they're still available. I'll have to look next time I'm at Costco.
Are you sure Costco standalone Hubs get the Core service level? That means they get name+number caller-id. I thought the standalone Hubs get Basic service level (number-only cid), but I could be wrong.