Install of Scout & Hub with whole house distribution

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: Install of Scout & Hub with whole house distribution

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 22, 2010 2:35 pm

rajeshh wrote:which claim that phone companies have to provide 911 even when I discontinue service?
I think this is state by state as far as regulation. When I disconnected my landline, there was no dialtone, not even a soft one; just some faint buzzing. I haven't tried dialing 911 with that though.
rajeshh wrote:When I call Qwest to discontinue service, what do I tell them?
Since you already ported your number over, your line is basically dead. You can ask Qwest to see if you are able to dial 911 even with a dead line.

rajeshh

Post by rajeshh » Sat May 22, 2010 9:16 pm

"Since you already ported your number over, your line is basically dead. You can ask Qwest to see if you are able to dial 911 even with a dead line."

Actually my line is not dead. I can call out from my landline,and when I called Ooma, they said I need to call Qwest and cancel service, which is why before I did that I wanted to get some info on what to tell them, and what the mechanics of trying to keep a line with 911 would involve.

If I do manage to get them to give a soft-dial, what do I do with the wiring? I dont need to integrate with the OOMa, just have it such that I can plug a plain old analog phone into a wall jack in case of emergency.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun May 23, 2010 12:08 am

rajeshh wrote:Actually my line is not dead. I can call out from my landline,and when I called Ooma, they said I need to call Qwest and cancel service, which is why before I did that I wanted to get some info on what to tell them, and what the mechanics of trying to keep a line with 911 would involve.
If you can still dial out, it is a result of a provisioning error by Qwest (your line is in a limbo state). Even if you can dial out today, I wouldn't count on it being the same tomorrow since by number porting, you've already cancelled your previous service. I would confirm the status of your line with Qwest; you don't want to be charged when your line is supposed to be cancelled. Also, need to confirm with Qwest whether you can dial 911 with an inactive line.
rajeshh wrote:If I do manage to get them to give a soft-dial, what do I do with the wiring? I dont need to integrate with the OOMa, just have it such that I can plug a plain old analog phone into a wall jack in case of emergency.
If and only if the answer is "you can dial 911 using an inactive line," would you be worrying about this. If you don't want to distribute your ooma dialtone throughout the house, do nothing (make sure your house wiring is still connected to Qwest) and plug a phone to a wall jack. If you want to distribute the ooma dialtone throughout the house, then, I would use the blue pair to do that and connect the orange pair only to Qwest at the NIB. Configure a wall jack for the orange pair and leave a basic phone connected to that orange pair wall jack.