Problems making outgoing calls and with voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dmlanger
Problems making outgoing calls and with voicemail

Post by dmlanger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:33 pm

So here's the problem.

I can receive an incoming call just fine and I can have a two way conversation with no problems.

I can make an outgoing call but it is only a one way conversation. The other person can hear me but i cannot hear them. I don't hear a dial tone past the ooma jingle but the call does connect.

I am on a college campus and am on a T3 connection. The ports that ooma runs on are open. I have tried the ooma device off campus on a regular cable line but still have the same problems. I have also tried it with at least 2 different phones.

Same thing happens when using the scout.
When I press the voicemail button on the ooma hub, the light blinks (as indicating that it's playing) but nothing plays on the hub. Voicemail works fine on the ooma lounge & via the email attachments.

I've contacted support but no one had an answer for me.

So here are my requests:

1. Can a click to call system be set up online similar to Google's or Skype's Click-to-Call, where a person's phone number is entered into an input box and when the submit button is pressed, both parties are connected. This is useful in 2 situations. 1) if you dont want to give your number out online, people can just call you by typing their number and press call and it will connect them and 2) so that i'll be able to make outgoing calls given my current situation.

2. Can voicemail's be listened to by dialing in to the phone number, like for cell phones. I've tried calling my ooma lines before from my cell phone but i got a message saying that I need to call from my phone(which currently doesn't allow outgoing calls). I can't even customize my voicemail greeting.

3. More reps to answer support problems

4. A desktop application to send/receive calls, so that if you are traveling or away you can still make phone calls and receive them. The multiring feature is nice but sometimes it's nice to return a call from the same number dialed. OR How about we could call our ooma number and have the option to make an outgoing call.

murphy

Re: Problems making outgoing calls and with voicemail

Post by murphy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:59 pm

dmlanger wrote: 2. Can voicemail's be listened to by dialing in to the phone number, like for cell phones. I've tried calling my ooma lines before from my cell phone but i got a message saying that I need to call from my phone(which currently doesn't allow outgoing calls). I can't even customize my voicemail greeting.
Call your ooma phone number from your cell phone.
Wait until the voice mail lady starts talking.
Press the * key.
Enter your pin when requested.

It's possible that your voice mail has to be configured from your ooma phone before this will work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Yeah i've tried that--> "I'm sorry but you can only initialize your voicemail from your primary phone.

I think that's the problem.

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:35 pm

So I'm still having these problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Have you listened to your voicemail from the ooma hub? When you first set ooma up you are required to play the ooma voicemail and follow the instructions. You will have to create a password at this time.

Wayne

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 pm

No it was never able to play messages when i first set it up. Since receiving 9 voicemails, only two were retreivable via the hub, the rest ive had to listen to over the internet. I have been able to listen to the incoming voicemail via the live screening.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 pm

What happens when you press the envelope button on the ooma hub?

Wayne

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 pm

If it's blinking to indicate a new message, 9/10 times i hear the speaker turn on and a click but nothing and it continues to blink, the other time it will play fine.

If it's not blinking to indicate a new message and is held down, it forwards all calls to voicemail

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:26 pm

This would be my only guess. Reset the ooma hub.

1) Remove the power for the ooma device

2) Hold down the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power and hold for 30 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

See if this helps.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
Wayne

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Ok, ill give that a try in a bit and post back with my success/failure.