Bluetooth adapter is here!

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
lbmofo
Bluetooth adapter is here!

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 am

jrg716

Re: Bluetooth adapter is here!

Post by jrg716 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:08 am

Million dollar question... does the firmware already support this or will we be waiting for a future update to use the adapter? I already bought the iPhone app and I've been waiting since Feb. for it to "go live". If the bluetooth adapter is awaiting a firmware update, I'd rather save myself the frustration and wait for the firmware to catch up before ordering the adapter.

JTalbert

Post by JTalbert » Mon May 24, 2010 10:54 am

I would assume if they have an announcement of the BT availability, the current firmware, or at least the firmware at shipment of the adapters would support the functionality, it would make no sense otherwise.
Jeff
McLean, VA
Cox / Ooma Telo / Apple AEBS (Time Capsule) / Ooma Handset / Premier
CompTia A+ CE
MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 24, 2010 11:16 am

Yes, the current Telo firmware supports basic bluetooth functionality (pairing headsets and answering mobile phone calls).

We plan on deploying some release later than 37410, which adds bluetooth intercom support, bluetooth transfer, outbound calling with bluetooth headsets and support for additional bluetooth devices. We should be pushing this release out soon.

A few new links:

Bluetooth add-on (shows up on Telo accounts): https://my.ooma.com/bluetooth
Known compatible devices: https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-blue ... patibility
Setup/feature guide: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... etup-guide

JTalbert wrote:I would assume if they have an announcement of the BT availability, the current firmware, or at least the firmware at shipment of the adapters would support the functionality, it would make no sense otherwise.
Bobby B

kruegs

Post by kruegs » Mon May 24, 2010 11:50 am

Just ordered mine! Pretty pumped to use this new functionality... will be real nice on con calls or when the wife is on with her mother for hours on end. ;) Hopefully the order went through OK though, as I got no e-mail confirmation or any other indication other than the page after I clicked submit.

jrg716

Post by jrg716 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 pm

That's great! I just order mine as well...

JTalbert - you know what they say about assuming :D When I bought my handsets, I had to wait for firmware updates to get them to work properly. When I bought the iPhone App, I had to wait for the infastructure to support it. Just looking at the history of the situation.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Mon May 24, 2010 12:56 pm

FWIW, I was able to get this feature to work with a generic USB Bluetooth adapter that I had sitting in a drawer. I think I had picked mine up for $10 on sale a few years back.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Mon May 24, 2010 1:05 pm

FWIW, I was able to get this feature to work with a generic USB Bluetooth adapter that I had sitting in a drawer. I think I had picked mine up for $10 on sale a few years back.

Just for the sake of experimentation, I was able to pair the Telo with my computer. The computer was insistent on using the Telo as a mono speaker for outputting audio! It isn't clear from my brief experiment whether the Telo would have been willing to use the computer's mic and speaker for calling. :D

I tried pairing the Telo up to a wireless phone that wasn't listed on the compatibility list, namely an LG265. It didn't want to pair up. Not surprising, just wanted to try it with what I already had on hand. :)
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

burnside

Post by burnside » Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Quick question, I thought the adapter was going to be free for Premiere members. It's showing up as $29.99 for me. Is that the same for you guys who are on Premiere?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 24, 2010 1:24 pm

FYI - generic adapters will stop working with the 37410 or later update.
DTMF wrote:FWIW, I was able to get this feature to work with a generic USB Bluetooth adapter that I had sitting in a drawer. I think I had picked mine up for $10 on sale a few years back.
Bobby B