Disconnecting calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Bobby B
Ooma Moderator
Re: Disconnecting calls

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 24, 2010 1:54 pm

We plan to start the rollout to fix bug 8494 today and expect to have all the servers upgraded by Wednesday. I'll reply on the this thread if there are any changes to this plan.
Bobby B

gflu

Post by gflu » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm having the same problem with dropped calls when I'm on conferences. 866 numbers in my case. I've noticed that I can listen in on a conference for a very long time, but I get dropped when I'm doing the talking. It doesn't seem happen when I'm just listening. I can talk for a maybe 30 seconds or so, and I get the unfortunate ooma dial tone. It is very embarrassing. When I call back in, I make sure to let everyone know that my Ooma dropped me. So I get to tell about 25 people per day that Ooma drops calls. I recommend Ooma make this a VERY high priority fix.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 pm

gflu wrote:When I call back in, I make sure to let everyone know that my Ooma dropped me. So I get to tell about 25 people per day that Ooma drops calls. I recommend Ooma make this a VERY high priority fix.
Wow, Really?

Thought Bobby B made it pretty clear.
Bobby B wrote:We plan to start the rollout to fix bug 8494 today and expect to have all the servers upgraded by Wednesday. I'll reply on the this thread if there are any changes to this plan.

jad68

Post by jad68 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 am

I've been dealing with this problem for about a month, as well...
After several support calls, they disabled voicemail (which is permanent) on my device... promising that would resolve the problem... It only changed the problem... so instead of the interruption every 7-8 minutes by the "recording time exceeded" message, it changed to "unable to leave message for xxx-xxx-xxxx... Thank you for using Ooma Broadband voicemail..." and repeats over and over and over...
so don't have them disable voicemail... it's worse...
Hopefully, this fix going in by tomorrow will resolve the issue... if not, I'm back to Vonage or some other system that's more reliable. This has been killing me, since I, too, use it as my primary business line for work@home...

Post by 5124250782 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:33 am

Put me in that boat....everything was great for 6+months....then 2 weeks ago I started dropping calls...seems to only be on the conference calls. I don't get any voice mails, just the ooma dial tone....and it happens more when I am in the middle of making a statement vs. just listening.

Contacted ooma...they said first problem was my upload speed...got that fixed (re-booted my cable box). BUT, it did not fix the problem...first call of the day....hello ooma tone.....

WOULD LIKE AN UPDATE FROM AN OOMA REPRESENTATIVE ON THIS FIX.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue May 25, 2010 5:42 am

5124250782 wrote:WOULD LIKE AN UPDATE FROM AN OOMA REPRESENTATIVE ON THIS FIX.
Bobby B wrote:We plan to start the rollout to fix bug 8494 today and expect to have all the servers upgraded by Wednesday. I'll reply on the this thread if there are any changes to this plan.

westend

Post by westend » Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 am

Hi,

I'd like to know how the 8494 fix is supposed to fix the dropped call issue? I've been sufferring from this for a month too. My call logs show the drop time between 7 - 8 minutes whether I'm talking or not. I never had the weird issue with voice mail picking up the call and that appears to be the basis of the 8494 fix.

I have a FIOS 20/5 connection. WhichVoip.com shows my connection with 0.4m/s jitter, 0% packet loss, QOS% up/down 94/74, 15mbps down and 4.6mbps up.

So what gives?

jad68

Post by jad68 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 am

@westend...
If you're talking to a single person, you get the ooma dialtone, and on the other end, they hear silence, and most will hangup prior to the end of recording time.
If, however, you're on a conference call (8xx number, toll free, with multiple participants), you get dropped to the ooma dialtone, you join back in, and ooma voicemail has an open session as well on the conf call. After the recording limit is reached (which is also between 5-10 minutes), the message is played that the ooma voicemail recording time has been exceeded... thanks for using ooma broadband voicemail... which is pretty ugly in a professional situation.
so, long story short, you may not be in a situation meeting the second case for the length of time to give the message...
Also, the issue comes and goes... not every call got disco'd... and not every call produced the message, but the call drop is the consistent issue, and it appears to be related to the ooma broadband answering machine code on the servers...

jad68

Post by jad68 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 am

and as I posted above, if they turn off voicemail on your ooma device (disable v-mail), it's even worse...

swyman18

Post by swyman18 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:45 am

I don't see bug 8494 listed in the 5/24 firmware 37410 release notes. Unless it's part of another bug fix.