Scout question

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
southsound
Re: Scout question

Post by southsound » Sun May 02, 2010 8:10 pm

diddlydoo wrote:Ok, I think I'm making some progress here.

What I am going to do is put the hub and scout side by side to test it. I'll connect both with a telephone cord in each Wall port of both. Then I'll plug in the scout and I should be good to go for testing it out.
Exactly - this is also to let you play a bit with using your scout as an voicemail terminal in a known working configuration. Normally you would plug a corded phone or another cordless base into the scout PHONE jack. But in your case, you will still get great use of your scout to notify you of voicemail and listen to your messages. Note also that if you decide to subscribe to Premier, a phone plugged into the scout allows you to have two people using your phone at the same time. With your current cordless system (one base, several handsets) you will not have this feature. Of course, you can always add a phone later if you get Premier.

Then if the scout is working, go to Home Depot and buy the adapters. Hook one in the wall where scout is and one where the hub is.
Right. You will connect up the LINE2 jack on the adapter to the WALl port on the hub and scout.

After hooking both up, they should work together. If not, it's the house wiring.
Correct again. If they do not work, we can walk you through finding out why not.

Once I buy the adapters, what gets hooked into the adapter where the hub is? I have a telephone cord now that goes between the Hub and the phone and then the phone is just plugged into the power plug.
Just the WALL port to LINE2 of the adapter.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:17 pm

southsound wrote:
diddlydoo wrote:Ok, I think I'm making some progress here.

What I am going to do is put the hub and scout side by side to test it. I'll connect both with a telephone cord in each Wall port of both. Then I'll plug in the scout and I should be good to go for testing it out.
Exactly - this is also to let you play a bit with using your scout as an voicemail terminal in a known working configuration. Normally you would plug a corded phone or another cordless base into the scout PHONE jack. But in your case, you will still get great use of your scout to notify you of voicemail and listen to your messages. Note also that if you decide to subscribe to Premier, a phone plugged into the scout allows you to have two people using your phone at the same time. With your current cordless system (one base, several handsets) you will not have this feature. Of course, you can always add a phone later if you get Premier.

Then if the scout is working, go to Home Depot and buy the adapters. Hook one in the wall where scout is and one where the hub is.
Right. You will connect up the LINE2 jack on the adapter to the WALl port on the hub and scout.

After hooking both up, they should work together. If not, it's the house wiring.
Correct again. If they do not work, we can walk you through finding out why not.

Once I buy the adapters, what gets hooked into the adapter where the hub is? I have a telephone cord now that goes between the Hub and the phone and then the phone is just plugged into the power plug.
Just the WALL port to LINE2 of the adapter.

Thanks Southsound, I'm going to try hooking the Scout up as soon as I get the adapters. I appreciate you and Murphy taking the time to help.

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Tue May 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Ok, I finally purchased the adapters but I don't think it's going to work.

My phone just has a cradle downstairs. The cradle has no slot for a phone line. The only cord coming from the cradle is the power cord that I hook in the power outlet....no phone slot at all.

Also my hub phone is not hooked to the wall at all. It's hooked into the router which is hooked to the back of the computer. Also the 'wall' slot in back of the hub already has a cord in it. That cord in coming from the router.

I have to return these adapters. I was hoping it would work.

Is there any other way I can get the Scout to work with this system? Not as a second line but just as a answering maching? Thanks!

I did do the first part in putting the hub and scout side by side and testing that the scout works...it does.

Should I just try and sell the scout as used or can anyone suggest another option for hooking this up?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 pm

diddlydoo wrote:My phone just has a cradle downstairs. The cradle has no slot for a phone line. The only cord coming from the cradle is the power cord that I hook in the power outlet....no phone slot at all.
Downstairs, need to look for a wall jack to plug in the Scout (plug the adapter into the wall jack first and then connect the Scout's "wall" port to the L2 port of the adapter using a telephone cord).
diddlydoo wrote:Also my hub phone is not hooked to the wall at all. It's hooked into the router which is hooked to the back of the computer. Also the 'wall' slot in back of the hub already has a cord in it. That cord in coming from the router.
By your Hub, find a wall jack, plug in the adapter. Take a phone cord and plug 1 end into the "wall" port of the Hub and the other end to the L2 of the adapter.
diddlydoo wrote:Is there any other way I can get the Scout to work with this system? Not as a second line but just as a answering maching? Thanks!
If you don't have DSL, just do everything above but lose the adapters.

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Tue May 25, 2010 3:05 pm

lbmofo wrote:
diddlydoo wrote:My phone just has a cradle downstairs. The cradle has no slot for a phone line. The only cord coming from the cradle is the power cord that I hook in the power outlet....no phone slot at all.
Downstairs, need to look for a wall jack to plug in the Scout (plug the adapter into the wall jack first and then connect the Scout's "wall" port to the L2 port of the adapter using a telephone cord).
diddlydoo wrote:Also my hub phone is not hooked to the wall at all. It's hooked into the router which is hooked to the back of the computer. Also the 'wall' slot in back of the hub already has a cord in it. That cord in coming from the router.
By your Hub, find a wall jack, plug in the adapter. Take a phone cord and plug 1 end into the "wall" port of the Hub and the other end to the L2 of the adapter.
diddlydoo wrote:Is there any other way I can get the Scout to work with this system? Not as a second line but just as a answering maching? Thanks!
If you don't have DSL, just do everything above but lose the adapters.

Ok, what was confusing me was somehow I had a phone cord already going from the 'wall' from the hub into the router that didn't need to be there so I'm with you now. Good Lord...lol

I'm with you too on the Scout hook-up.

Now my question is I'm wondering if I bought the wrong adapter. This thing plugs into the phone jack in the wall and it does have the 3 plugs on the back. This is how they are labeled....

First slot has L1+L3, second slot has L2+L3, and the last slot has L1+L2+L3

Will this adapter work? I guess I should have looked closer in Lowes but you can barely read it if not looking for it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm

I've never seen that kind of adapters before but L2+L3 is what you want to use.

If you have cable internet vs DSL, then you can lose the adapters and plug directly into wall jacks.

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Tue May 25, 2010 3:53 pm

lbmofo wrote:I've never seen that kind of adapters before but L2+L3 is what you want to use.

If you have cable internet vs DSL, then you can lose the adapters and plug directly into wall jacks.

OH?? I have cable internet. I did try to plug the cords into the middle slot and it didn't work. I'll try just plugging into the phone jacks without using the adapters and see what happens. I'll report back.

OH MY GOSH! Finally!!! Yay!! It works!!! :D Great, now I can return the adapters and get my money back.

THANK YOU so much for your help.

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm

lbmofo, we must have been writing our posts at the same time. See my post above yours.

Thank you so much!!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue May 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Awesome!

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Tue May 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Now I'm being prompted by OOMA to select a second number. I already had my old number ported and I thought if I had a cradle phone extension that I could only use one line and I could only have one phone number.

Do we still get an extra number to use along with our ported number?

Thanks!