Disconnecting calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Groundhound
Re: Disconnecting calls

Post by Groundhound » Wed May 26, 2010 6:01 am

Cheerymonkey wrote:Same here, multiple drops per day lately. I can usually only be on a call for a 4-5 mins. I rarely can dial out, and I've become accustomed to that, but I at least could RECEIVE calls until the last week, and now people are going straight to voicemail. I can see on my call log that they called, but my phone never rang.

Ooma doesn't seem to be providing any response or service... I realize the service is free, so I don't expect perfection, even 50% of the time if it worked I could be ok with that. But right now it's down at least 90%.
Your problem sounds different than most of the other posters to this thread. Reading your previous posts it looks like you described having a marginal Internet connection with Qwest back in October. Are you still using Qwest? What do your stats at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html look like (post the results from the Advanced tab)?

dplang

Post by dplang » Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 am

I'm still having the conference line issue and it's very disruptive. OOMA, you are taking way too long to fix this. I was on a conference call Monday, by chance, with a new OOMA customer. She was very disappointed that her conference line dropped 3 times during the call. When she called OMMA support, some bozo told her that she had a firewall issue that her cable provider would need to fix. She's questioning whether or not to stay with OOMA -- I don't blame her. When I called support, some guy told me to do a "slow re-boot." Those sort of recommendations are just short asking customers to stand on one leg, pointing north wearing an aluminum foil antenna on one's head.

OOMA, you need to have a recording on your support line to let users know when widespread issues are happening. Your support people don't seem to get the message about them and take cutomers down rabbit holes. It's more frustrating than the outage!!!

grecni

Post by grecni » Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 am

Still happening to me as well. I did not renew my Ooma primer subscription when the price extension was available due to sound quality issues when on conference calls (quality is just fine for normal calls but often while on a conference call people complain that they have problems hearing me). I figured I would wait until it came up for normal renewal (this June) and then decide, if this does not get fixed soon then I will definitely not be renewing. My main purpose for having primer is a second line for my home office.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 am

grecni wrote:Still happening to me as well. I did not renew my Ooma primer subscription when the price extension was available due to sound quality issues when on conference calls (quality is just fine for normal calls but often while on a conference call people complain that they have problems hearing me). I figured I would wait until it came up for normal renewal (this June) and then decide, if this does not get fixed soon then I will definitely not be renewing. My main purpose for having primer is a second line for my home office.
You might have missed this from Bobby B on a previous page:
Bobby B wrote:We plan to start the rollout to fix bug 8494 today and expect to have all the servers upgraded by Wednesday. I'll reply on the this thread if there are any changes to this plan.
Believe me, ooma has a lot more at stake here that one or two customers not renewing their Premier subscription. They want to provide the highest quality service for all of their customers - whether on Basic, Core, or Premier. I know from previous dealings with them that they will not be satisfied until they are able to provide that highest quality service. I'd give it a couple more days - Bobby B said they hoped to have the fix rolled out by Wednesday but typically these things take time - so even if it is not until next week, it will be accomplished! Bobby has already told us he will reply on this thread if there are changes. He is a man of his word.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed May 26, 2010 10:32 am

As of 15 min ago, all the servers have been upgraded with the fix for bug 8494 (sometimes calls disconnect on conferences) and bug 8492 (sometimes voicemail prompt loops if the remote party doesn't hangup).

Please let us know if you experience any further dropped calls on conference calls (please note the called number, date/time).
Bobby B

Daghis

Post by Daghis » Wed May 26, 2010 10:39 am

Thank you very much for the status update. I'm looking forward to being able to use my Ooma line for my telecommuting needs again.

Scott R

Post by Scott R » Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am

I posted on one of the other threads about this but just found this thread today. Because there are a lot of people posting here speculating that this is a problem with 8xx-numbers I just wanted to add a comment indicating that the problem is not just with 8xx numbers. I use GoToMeeting for my conference calls and the numbers I call are not 8xx numbers. The two posts from other users earlier in this thread seemed to be on the money as to probable causes:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7696&start=20#p56222
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7696&start=30#p56244

I wanted to point this all out since the Ooma tech folks have indicated that the problem is now fixed but they didn't elaborate as to what they determined the cause to be or what, exactly, they did to fix it, so I want to make sure that nothing fell through the cracks (and they didn't implement a fix that will only fix things for 8xx calls). It would be great if the Ooma techs could provide those details here.

Lastly, I want to mention that I'm also frequently told that I echo (or cause everyone to echo) on the call, even though things sound fine to me, even when I mute my phone. They claim that when I drop off the call altogether, the problem goes away. Because things sound fine to me, I have up to this point somewhat disregarded their comments (how do they know *I'm* the one causing the problem and not someone/something else?). Well, a little while ago I decided to create my own GoToMeeting and call in from my Ooma line as well as from my cellphone. I muted my cellphone's mic and when speaking through the Ooma line I did indeed hear an echo via my cellphone's speaker. Reversing this experiment, I did *not* hear an echo through my Ooma-connected phone's speaker when speaking through my cellphone. If anyone can point me to a thread/solution for this issue (if one exists), I would certainly appreciate it.

minnaert

Post by minnaert » Wed May 26, 2010 10:56 am

I have just had a conference call (1-866 number) drop. (11:30am, May 25, 2010 pacific coast time)
I have been waiting for the update today. I have been experiencing dropped conference calls for 1 week. I work from home, and am on conference calls for an average of 2-3 hours per day. Over the past week, I have every conference call drop about every 5 minutes, if not more often. I have resorted to using my spotty AT&T cell phone for calls.

My conference calls drop when I am speaking, but when others are speaking the call seems to last.

Specs:
I'm using an OOMA Telo.
Time Warner Cable modem, speedtest download of 23.32 Mb/s, upload 0.96Mb/s

I have had the OOMA for about 3 months, and the only dropped calls I have ever had have all been in the past 2 weeks. If this is not fixed in probably 1 week, i will be moving to Vonage or something. This instability contradicts the entire point of my getting the system.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Wed May 26, 2010 11:00 am

Scott R wrote:I just wanted to add a comment indicating that the problem is not just with 8xx numbers. I use GoToMeeting for my conference calls and the numbers I call are not 8xx numbers.
I wanted to point this all out since the Ooma tech folks have indicated that the problem is now fixed but they didn't elaborate as to what they determined the cause to be or what, exactly, they did to fix it, so I want to make sure that nothing fell through the cracks
Easy to verify, the fixes are in, test it out and post your results.

The echo problem seems like something else.

lgestle

Post by lgestle » Wed May 26, 2010 11:31 am

Bobby B wrote:As of 15 min ago, all the servers have been upgraded with the fix for bug 8494 (sometimes calls disconnect on conferences) and bug 8492 (sometimes voicemail prompt loops if the remote party doesn't hangup).

Please let us know if you experience any further dropped calls on conference calls (please note the called number, date/time).
Still occuring as of 5/26@ 12:28PM PT. I Reset the ooma device as well and within 30 seconds it will drop if no incoming audio is received during that time. Calling 1866640XXXX, http://www.mymeetings.com is the provider, as leader.

I attend 3-4 conference calls per day on average. No other calls are being dropped outside of conference calls where I'm hosting and no incoming audio is received.

So for myself there was no change in the behavior posted earlier. CS47308 is the ticket that I opened for the issue that should have my contact information if someone wants to reach me.

I have owned ooma for 6+ months with no issue outside of this week with conference lines.

Specs:
Omma Hub
lgestle wrote:Confirmed still an issue as of this morning. As the poster above mentioned it does appear to be time based, 30 seconds, when no other participants are speaking (ie incoming signal to ooma).

Example:

Will not Disconnect:
1) if I call the number as a participant with ooma, and listen to hold music, it will not disconnect.
2) if I call, with a seperate phone to host the meeting, and provide a constant incoming signal to the conference line (I placed the second phone against a speaker listening to an online radio station), the ooma phone will not disconnect. Including when I place the ooma phone on mute.

Will Disconnect:
1) Host a meeting with no other participants, it will disconnect within 30 seconds.
2) Stop incoming signal (stop the radio statio in the example above or place that phone on mute) on the conference line, the ooma phone will disconnect
3) The ooma phone is only providing output (example talking non-stop/online radio station), with no incoming, it will disconnect.

I also tried *99 with no change in behavior. With my VOIP phone through surewest I do not encounter the same issue as I do with ooma that started this week.

EDIT:
MyMeetings.com is the conference line provider.
Last edited by lgestle on Wed May 26, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.