Google Voice Extensions not working with Telo

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
davethetallguy
Google Voice Extensions not working with Telo

Post by davethetallguy » Sun May 02, 2010 4:16 pm

I just upgraded to a Telo this weekend, and configured it for Google Voice.

When I put in the username password for my Google Voice account, the correct Google Voice number was automatically populated to the correct field on my.ooma.com. I've added the requisite second (virtual) number to my account, and configured voicemail access via a PIN.

I checked the box for "Use my Google Voice Number as my outbound Caller-ID". When I place a call to another number, the caller-ID reflects my virtual number, not my GV number. (In preferences, privacy, I have the main ooma number set as the default caller-ID, so the virtual number should have no reason to just appear.)

When I pick up my ooma phone and dial #GVE (#483) to access voicemail, per the instructions on my.ooma.com, I get a fast busy signal. The controls on my Telo only access my ooma vm, not my GV vm.

In summary, I don't seem to have any GVE functionality at all.

I've reset / factory reset the Telo a couple of times. I'm running firmware version 1.36111.

The only recommendation I've had from ooma support so far is "wait for a new version of firmware." Does this really mean GVE doesn't work with the latest version of the Telo firmware?

Has anyone else tried to get GVE to work and just flat gotten nowhere?

abukta

Re: Google Voice Extensions not working with Telo

Post by abukta » Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Same here and this is the answer I received from support. Which seems to be very responsive (A+) compare to my previous experience.

"Our apologies. As you see in My Ooma, Google Voice Extension feature is still under "Beta" or testing mode, it may or may not fully work for some Ooma Telo users, we currently do not have an ETA yet on when will it be fully working feature. Your Ooma telo and its features (including GVE) will be updated on the next firmare update, but we cannot tell when will it be, you can wait until 3 or 4 business days, if GVE is still not working within that time frame please email us back."
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: Telo w/2 handsets
Lifetime Premier Member

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue May 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Both of your firmware versions support GVE. A bug was filed today (bug 8413) that found a chunk of folks that have the GVE service disabled on the backend for some reason. I've gone ahead and manually enabled GVE for both of you.

Please try to re-configure Google Voice in My Ooma and power-cycle your Ooma Telo. The feature you work for you now.
Bobby B

pwog66

Post by pwog66 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Can you enable mine to plz.

abukta

Post by abukta » Wed May 26, 2010 7:35 pm

I followed Bobby's instruction but did not seem to help. I am still w/out GVE, any other suggestion I should try? Thanks.
Lifetime Premier Member

AzJazz

Post by AzJazz » Thu May 27, 2010 6:48 am

Bobby - GVE doesn't seem to be working for me, either. I set everything up by following the GVE guide.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 am

Hello abukta,

There was a special character "&" in the Cnam field in your account. I went ahead & removed it.
Please allow some time for the config file to update, you may need to reboot.

abukta

Post by abukta » Mon May 31, 2010 9:03 am

ntoy - thanks a lot. I looks much better, although still acting a bit weird. I am able to connect to my Google VM it seems or at least I get a call from ooma.

When a push >> button on my Telo, I get a call from ooma then I hear accept press 1 or leave a VM.. hm. If I don't pick up the call, it keeps ringing for awhile then Telo says "The google subscriber is not available... etc".

The call is coming in from my ooma number dedicated to GVE. I looked at the the support documentation and as far as I understand it, I did everything by the book.

When I dial #GVE (#483) to access voicemail, per the instructions, from my headset, the same thing happens... I get a call from ooma on the other line asking me to press 1 or leave VM.
FYI - the documentation and the panel shot at https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... extensions seems to be a bit outdated as google changed their setup to allow direct access to voicemail. We need to have that updated.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

-Attila
Lifetime Premier Member

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 am

Do you have GV forwarded to any number other than your GVVN number?
If you do, cancel that forward. GV should only be forwarded to your GVVN number.

When you press >>| on the Telo it places a call to your GV number and automatically sends the necessary tones, including your GV pin, to play your Google voice mail through the Telo speaker. You do not do anything other that pressing the >>| key.

The exact same process happens if you dial #483 from a handset except the audio comes back through the handset instead of the Telo speaker.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx