Scout question

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
lbmofo
Re: Scout question

Post by lbmofo » Tue May 25, 2010 4:35 pm

With Premier, you have the option to get a 2nd number either to share by Hub/Scout or you can assign that 2nd number to the Hub as a private number. The latter requires you to connect a phone to the "phone" port of the Scout.

diddlydoo

Post by diddlydoo » Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Gotcha!! Thanks again. I think I'm good to go now. lol

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Thu May 27, 2010 12:54 pm

ok guys i have similar question abt hooking up scout to use as answering machine but i have DSL - can you please help? i am not trying to hijack the thread by any means but it seems like majority of solutions have been provided here please help for dsl customers same question. thx.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 pm

shahniraj wrote:ok guys i have similar question abt hooking up scout to use as answering machine but i have DSL - can you please help? i am not trying to hijack the thread by any means but it seems like majority of solutions have been provided here please help for dsl customers same question. thx.
If you have DSL, you can have Scout communicate with the Hub through a clean 2nd pair of your house wiring.
Here is the simpliest way to do this. Most of the time, L1 carries your DSL signal.
murphy wrote:To put the scout in another room, go to Home Depot and get two [L1, L2, L1+L2] adapters.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

Plug an adapter into the wall where the hub is located and the second adapter into the wall where the scout is located.
Connect a phone cable from the hub's wall jack to the L2 jack of the adapter.
Connect a phone cable from the Scout's wall jack to the L2 jack of the adapter.

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Fri May 28, 2010 6:44 am

will try and report back but if i remember correctly - right now I have the cable going directly in dsl line and other end is atached to router/modem combo - i have this and there is no loss in internet speed ( i m afraid when i buy these adapters fm home depot and rehook everything, the speed will go down again - i had speed issues when i initially got this ooma hub but fixed it by hooking router/modem directly in wall jack where dsl line comes in and connecting roter/modem to ooma hub and ooma hub to cordless phone with base - lets see) will report back

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Sat May 29, 2010 3:11 pm

ok here is the confusion guys:

my current setup at where hub is: i have dsl line coming in fm wall (fyi i don't have landline and its dryloop dsl i have fm verizon). I connect this wall dsl outlet directly into modem/router integrated router's ethernet port. a cable now goes fm modem/router integrated router's #1 (there are total 4 ports on the modem/router) port to ooma hub's modem outlet in back - the phone cable now goes fm ooma hub's phone outlet to cordless phone base phone outlet. this is running very smoothly and the internet speed is also good - i am happy right now as it stands since extensions of this base cordless phones only need base charger plugged in for power - there is no phone cable required.

now i just need scout set up to check my messages in another room. I have already tried to hook up scout directly to ooma wall outlet in back and scout is working fine. now i have 2 adaptors fm home depot i just bought and according to above post, i have to put one adaptor in wall dsl but there is already cable there going to modem/router as i mentioned above. please advise i am confused. if i put one adaptor in wall dsl outlet, can you give me instructions laid out as prevoius post but also make sure my internet speed is not compromised. as i said current setup is working fine without scout and internet is showing good speed as well - please help guys.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Plug the adapater into the wall jack that's feeding the DSL modem. Then plug the phone cord that's feeding the modem into the L1 port of the adapter; your DSL modem should still show online and everything (your internet, ooma) should still work as it is now.

Then use a phone cord to connect Hub's wall port to adapter's L2 port.

Find another wall jack in the house, plug in the other adapter you got and connect the L2 port of the adatper to the Scout's wall port. This should make the Scout work.

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Sat May 29, 2010 3:51 pm

no successs. the scout stays red. not sure whats wrong? the phone still works fine due to hub set up being ok but scout is red help?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Hub's wall port is connected to the L2 of the adapter that's feeding the dsl modem through L1 right?

At the Scout's wall jack, try plugging the Scout directly into the wall jack without the adapter. or try to find another wall jack to plug the Scout into using the adatper's L2.

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm

tried other places around house but same result - first top two buttons turn red, then middle 2 button turn red and then bottom four buttons turn red but stay red - help?