Personal blacklist

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
illini
Re: Personal blacklist

Post by illini » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:42 am

As of this AM, personal blacklists are now working for me. Thanks for fixing!

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 am

Yes, it works! Thanks very much, Bobby! I am so glad to be able to enter that telemarketer number. Yay!!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 am

I am not sure if this is well known but the National Do Not Call Registry actually works. No telemarketers call; exceptions are charities, political orgs, businesses that I already do business with. Give it a shot and see if unwanted calls drop after a month.

illini

Post by illini » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 am

Yes, that's true. I'm on the do not call registry and it does reduce the calls...somewhat. Unfortunately, the vast majority of calls to my home phone line are still from political orgs, "surveys", charities, and a million businesses whose doors I once entered 20 years ago. i.e., there are still a million loopholes. One of the biggest reasons I dropped my landline for Ooma was because I couldn't justify spending $50 a month primarily to provide access to those loophole organizations. Ooma reduces that cost and, I hope, will help me to filter the unwanted calls a bit more than the do not call registry alone. Nevertheless, the do not call registry is a necessary first step, just not a final one.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 am

Hello lbmofo,

Thanks for the post! Personally, I have an AT&T landline at home & did register my number & over the past couple of years,
it has reduced the number of telemarketing calls for me.

Regards,
Norm

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am

ntoy wrote:Personally, I have an AT&T landline at home.
That's in addition to your several Telo's and possibly a hub/scout right? And please tell me you didn't choose to integrate the landline?! :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 am

Yes,

Don't forget the security system...

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:01 pm

I've been on the Do Not Call registry for years, but in my experience most of the telemarketers just ignore it. We got a slight reduction at first but it's picked up again. I haven't got the energy to report them all.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm

I signed up for the do not call list and I rarely get non personal calls.

koferong

Post by koferong » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 am

Please tell me how your problems were solved, because I still have the same exact problem illini described. Ooma Support responded to my email saying my blacklist feature wasn't enabled and proceeded to instruct me on how to enable it. I know I did enable it but the setting just won't stick after I log out!!!