Google Voice with the Ooma Core

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
michaellindahl
Google Voice with the Ooma Core

Post by michaellindahl » Tue May 11, 2010 10:00 am

Hello, I just got an Ooma Core, and do not want to get the Hub. I put the number in Google Voice it all looked fine, but whenever someone would call my Google Number it would ring both phones but go to the Ooma Answering Machine! I need it to go to the Google Voice Answering Machine, whats wrong?

southsound

Re: Google Voice with the Ooma Core

Post by southsound » Tue May 11, 2010 3:06 pm

michaellindahl wrote:Hello, I just got an Ooma Core, and do not want to get the Hub. I put the number in Google Voice it all looked fine, but whenever someone would call my Google Number it would ring both phones but go to the Ooma Answering Machine! I need it to go to the Google Voice Answering Machine, whats wrong?
I think you might be a little confused on terminology. The ooma core system cosists of two devices - the hub which is the actual "main" box - an ATA if you will. Without it, you don't have any reason to even have ooma. The scout is the smaller box that can be used with the hub to (1) check ooma voicemail easily, (2) access your instant second line if you have Premier) (3) give wired access to a second number if you have Premier. So I am going to assume that you don't want to use the scout. No problem. When I had my core system the scout never came out of the packaging.

Google voice is near and dear as I've used it as my front end since I got it last summer. Great product and I can't believe all the featues you get for free. The reason your calls are going to the ooma answering machine is that it is picking up before the call goes to the GV answering system. To prevent this, log into GV, go to settings, select calls, then set Call Screening to ON. That will make it so the call does not go to your ooma voicemail because it requires a 1 to be pressed before it will connect. Since the ooma VM cannot press 1, it will go to the GV voicemail instead. On that screen you can also enable call screening if you wish.

Not to forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum!
Last edited by southsound on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

michaellindahl

Post by michaellindahl » Tue May 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Your right, I meant I have the Core/Hub, and I do not want to but the Telo with GV support... Thanks for your help did that in Google Voice and it works perfectly!

geop

Post by geop » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 am

I have the same need / question - howeve when I follow the directions listed in the prior post, I do not have that option to select Presentation - my screen looks like this
Settings
Delete Forever Archive Report Spam Delete Move to Inbox More ActionsRefresh Show: All Unread 0-0of0 Search results for: calls presentation
No items in this view.
Tip: Add callers to your address book and Google Voice will read you their name without screening them. Learn more
©2010 Google - Terms - Blog - Google Home

PhonesVoicemail & TextCallsGroupsCall WidgetsBillingAccountCall Screening On Announces caller and lets you listen as caller leaves a message
Ask unknown callers to say their name
Off Directly connects calls when phones are answered
Caller ID (in) Display caller's number
Display my Google Voice number
Caller ID (out) When I text a Google Voice number from one of my forwarding phones:
Don't change anything
Note: this setting currently only applies to text messages; calls will be included soon.
Phone SPAM Enable SPAM filtering
Send suspected SPAM callers to SPAM voicemail
Block suspected SPAM callers and play "Number not in service" message
Do Not Disturb Enable "Do Not Disturb"

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:50 am

Call Screening being ON forces GV VM for me.

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:33 pm

It's "Call Screening" not "Call Presentation".

geop wrote:I have the same need / question - howeve when I follow the directions listed in the prior post, I do not have that option to select Presentation - my screen looks like this
Settings
Delete Forever Archive Report Spam Delete Move to Inbox More ActionsRefresh Show: All Unread 0-0of0 Search results for: calls presentation
No items in this view.
Tip: Add callers to your address book and Google Voice will read you their name without screening them. Learn more
©2010 Google - Terms - Blog - Google Home

PhonesVoicemail & TextCallsGroupsCall WidgetsBillingAccountCall Screening On Announces caller and lets you listen as caller leaves a message
Ask unknown callers to say their name
Off Directly connects calls when phones are answered
Caller ID (in) Display caller's number
Caller ID (out) When I text a Google Voice number from one of my forwarding phones:
Don't change anything
Note: this setting currently only applies to text messages; calls will be included soon.
Phone SPAM Enable SPAM filtering
Send suspected SPAM callers to SPAM voicemail
Block suspected SPAM callers and play "Number not in service" message
Do Not Disturb Enable "Do Not Disturb"
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

MWPollard

Post by MWPollard » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:18 am

I just set my voicemail pickup time to 26 seconds. That way I get the messages no matter which number they called.

But I want Google Voice Extensions to work with the Hub for other reasons - I want my outgoing CID to show the GV number without typing a dozen or more numbers first.