OUTBOUND caller-id test number?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
caseybea
OUTBOUND caller-id test number?

Post by caseybea » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 am

Hi-- I have a relatively new Ooma, just completed AT&T porting (yay!), but I don't have an easy way to test my outbound caller-id with name. (My cell phone doesn't support CNAM, so that's out).

is there some kind of phone number you can call and have the caller-id WITH NAME read back to you in some automated fashion? That way I could test once in a while until I see Ooma got around to populating the CNAM databases with my account name. I understand it uh, can take a while..
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

Leeway

Re: OUTBOUND caller-id test number?

Post by Leeway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 pm

caseybea wrote:Hi-- I have a relatively new Ooma, just completed AT&T porting (yay!), but I don't have an easy way to test my outbound caller-id with name. (My cell phone doesn't support CNAM, so that's out).

is there some kind of phone number you can call and have the caller-id WITH NAME read back to you in some automated fashion? That way I could test once in a while until I see Ooma got around to populating the CNAM databases with my account name. I understand it uh, can take a while..

Hmmmm, why not call a relative or friend with CID and ask what they are seeing?

Also, keep in mind that if your port was just completed, it may not be working yet. sometimes it takes a day or two or three.

Donna

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Keeping in mind the propagation-timing issue that Leeway mentioned, you could always try the following. It's not a "read back" service but it will tell you what's in their database:

1. Point your browser at: http://www.cnam.info.
2. Scroll down and click the "this pop up window" link near the bottom of the page.
3. A small pop-up window will appear (turn off any pop-up blocker, first, of course). It has a form for entering your 10-digit phone number, after which, click "go" to see what's in cnam.info's database for that number.

Bear in mind you can only use this once or twice every few hours, because it's a free trial of services they resell.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:14 am

I could have sworn I replied to this...

Anyway--- that CNAM online test is perfect - exactly the thing I'm looking for.

Our number currently shows up as NULL, NULL. So, no CNAM info. Yet.

(and yes, while I realize I could call a friend.. I didn't want to keep bothering them!)
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:12 am

Yes, and it may take a while. Two weeks after my port completed, I had the following going out:
1. Primary ported number: "NULL, NULL", and
2. Secondary (pre-port ooma-issued) number: "Unavailable".

After three weeks this was still the case so I called support and explained the situation. Within a couple of days, the primary number was fixed and my correct "Firstname Lastname" was going out for my main number. I confirmed this by making phone calls, and checking CNAM.INFO.

My secondary number still shows "Unavailable" right up to present, five weeks post-port. However, I do not make outgoing calls on that number, so it really doesn't matter to me, so I have not followed up with support. I'm fairly sure (50/50) that I could get them to fix that number's outgoing CNAM as well, if I asked them to do so.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

UnReasonableMan

Post by UnReasonableMan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks for the useful info.

It would be nice if there were an alterantive to http://www.cnam.info/ ...as of today, they aren't accepting any requests for info because of "too many requests".

Anyone know of other options?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:12 pm

You can send an email to callerid@digitalcon.ca with the numbers you are curious about.

This is pretty neat but caller ID name is not accurate:

Caller ID w/ Name Playback Call (804) 222-1111. The system will answer and speak back your 7 digit Caller ID number and name. (Area code left out)

UnReasonableMan

Post by UnReasonableMan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks lbmofo.

I tried the number you posted, and got the number and the city/state read back to me, but not other caller ID info. I also tried the email, and will report back when/if they respond.