Voice Delay

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
asporet
Voice Delay

Post by asporet » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:57 pm

I've been using the Ooma Telo for almost a week now. So far reliability and quality is better than Vonage.
My ISP is Comcast Cable 15M down - 3M up package. My modem is a Motorola Surfboard 6120. Router is DIR-655.
Initial setup was Modem>Telo>Router. This way had static, ~1sec voice delay, and echo (all still better than Vonage). After finding the Forum with the setup instructions for this router, I changed setup to Modem>Router>Telo. Call quality is now crystal clear except voice delay has risen to ~2sec whether calling a landline or another VoIP.
I followed the instructions so that the router handles all QoS. Here are my VoIP test results -

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9925816 bps
Upload speed: 4252560 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 78 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 23 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 46 ms
Average round trip time to server: 48 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.692556
Download TCP forced idle: 35 %
Maximum route speed: 11397384bps

Hoping to avoid calling Tech Support so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

lbmofo

Re: Voice Delay

Post by lbmofo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Your number look pretty good.

In the Modem -> Ooma --> Router config, have you tried using built in modem port MAC address?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8045

asporet

Post by asporet » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Sorry for not mentioning it before but yes that was one of the first things I tried after searching the forums for advice.
I am also wondering if my actual phone could be part of the problem. I have a Uniden 5.8Ghz Cordless with the base connected to the Telo. The phone is close to eight years old but I've never noticed anything wrong. Is it time to upgrade to a DECT 6.0 phone?

olgatree

Post by olgatree » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 am

I have the same modem/router as you. I also have it configured the same and use Comcast. I like the product but the delay is killing me. I posted on this issue in the past (thread below) and was left with having to take it up with Comcast. I've yet to attempt this. Also, I have an older 2.4Ghz cordless upstairs and new DECT 6.0 down but the delay is the same.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7877

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 am

In the past 6 weeks, I've had a dramatic increase in the amount of delay I'm experiencing on my system, too. :cry:

I'm set up as Modem -> Ooma -> Router

Speed
-----
Download speed: 2741864 bps
Upload speed: 473072 bps
Quality of service: 56 %
Maximum TCP delay: 407 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Average round trip time to server: 49 ms

VoIP
----
Jitter: you --> server: 2.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.4 ms
Number of VoIP lines supported: 3

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2741864 bps
Upload speed: 473072 bps
Quality of service: 56 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 407 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Average round trip time to server: 49 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 8800000bps
Route concurrency: 3.2094955
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 11397384bps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.4 ms

Streaming video statistics
--------------------------
Audio stream jitter: 10.7 ms
Video stream jitter: 11.5 ms
Audio stream packet loss: 0 %
Video stream packet loss: 0 %
Audio stream packet discards: 0 %
Video stream packet discards: 0 %

Capacity test statistics
------------------------
Download capacity: 6509064 bps
Download packets per second: 5085
Upload capacity: 376600 bps
Upload packets per second: 294
Quality of service: 99 %
Packet size: 160 Bytes
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 am

DTMF wrote:In the past 6 weeks, I've had a dramatic increase in the amount of delay I'm experiencing on my system, too. :cry:
Your maximum TCP delay looks awful. 400+ ms. That's almost 1/2 a sec. But, how do you tell the "delay" being worse?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7036&start=10#p54440

asporet

Post by asporet » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:22 pm

olgatree wrote:I have the same modem/router as you. I also have it configured the same and use Comcast. I like the product but the delay is killing me. I posted on this issue in the past (thread below) and was left with having to take it up with Comcast. I've yet to attempt this. Also, I have an older 2.4Ghz cordless upstairs and new DECT 6.0 down but the delay is the same.
Calling Comcast will definitely be my last resort. Although I've always had good experiences calling in the past, those were all simple problems. For something technical like this I know they, and probably any other provider, will just point fingers at Ooma and not take the time to identify or fix the issue on their end. Too bad there isn't a direct line to the top tier of support to save the hassle of hours of repeating the problem to multiple CSRs. I still have a few more things to try like isolating the Telo away from all my other equipment, or attaching it to a UPS with line conditioning, or not splitting the cable before it goes into the modem. I may even move the Telo back in front of the router just to reduce the delay back to 1sec.
btw- thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will update if my status changes.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:43 pm

lbmofo wrote:
DTMF wrote:In the past 6 weeks, I've had a dramatic increase in the amount of delay I'm experiencing on my system, too. :cry:
Your maximum TCP delay looks awful. 400+ ms. That's almost 1/2 a sec. But, how do you tell the "delay" being worse?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7036&start=10#p54440
It takes longer for the other end of the call to acknowledge what's said on my end. There are more/longer instances of unintentionally talking over each other with a longer delay.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Is the Maximum TCP Delay the culprit?

dcuomo

Post by dcuomo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi all,

Let me preface with the fact that I love the Ooma and the features it provides. That said, the delay I am experiencing is killing me!

The first thing I would like to do is quantify my "numbers" as I have seen others do. How exactly to I access the statistics that I have seen others post?

My set-up is Modem<router<Ooma

Another issue: the incoming audio is cutting out (I can't hear the person on the other end) but they can hear me fine. Really not very professional for my business calls/callers

I have seen others post about tweaking their set-up like giving priority to voice packets etc.. The good news is that I have done nothing other than the standard set-up so I am hoping there is a chance I can improve my call quality.

Thanks for any help
Really hoping to work out a few of these bugs
Don