Ooma Telo works, then it doesn't

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
sfhub
Re: Ooma Telo works, then it doesn't

Post by sfhub » Thu May 27, 2010 3:40 pm

bfeltman wrote:I'm a little pessimistic about the cable since I've tried two of them but I'll try another. I agree tho, it seems it has to do with packet loss somewhere along the way.
Have you tried pinging vpn.ooma.com continuously either with
ping -t vpn.ooma.com
or using pingplotter (www.pingplotter.com)

and seeing if anything shows up when Ooma goes red?

It is rare, but sometimes the cable modem intermittently has trouble. If you can try a different cable modem or try connecting your Ooma to your friend's cable connection. If the pattern holds you only have to wait about a half hour before knowing whether it goes red or not.

bfeltman

Post by bfeltman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 pm

So I continuously pinged the IP address of my Telo behind the router. It successfully received a response 3500 times then got "No route to host" then "Host is down". I also continuously pinged vpn.ooma.com and it works fine. Any ideas? This is really frustrating.

sgrunspan

Post by sgrunspan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 pm

That sounds to me like a bad power adapter. First it works fine, then it stops. If you unplug and it let it cool/rest for an hour and then plug it back in do you get the same effect? Do you have another adapter with the same plug, and Volt/Amp output to test it out? I can't remember if the telo is 12V and 2amp or a different Amp output. I should caution you, not all so called wall warts (plug-in power adapters) are equal. there are regulated and unregulated adapters. Long unrelated story short, you must use a regulated adapter, like the ooma supplied adapter, or you might fry your ooma. I use the power adapter from my external hard drive for instance. high quality electronics uses regulated supplies. If it says 'switching adapter' or switched or switch mode supply you can use it. Otherwise it may or may not be a regulated transformer.

bfeltman wrote:Ok. I've tried everything that tech support has suggested and still does not stay working. To recap, the Ooma comes on and works fine for 30-60 minutes, then the Ooma symbol starts blinking red and stays that way. I've set it up both behind the router and between the modem and router and get the same effect. Does anyone have any idea on what could be happening? I'm at a loss.

bfeltman

Post by bfeltman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 am

Tried changing out power adapters. Received the same result. Maybe a bad unit?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I would check the signal-to-noise ratio by querying the modem. In most cases you can do this by directing your browser to 192.168.100.1 and clicking something like "connect" or "connection" -- on Cisco/Linksys routers it's "connect" -- and looking for SNR or "Signal-to-Noise Ratio". 10 db is marginal, 20 db is OK, 30 db is getting pretty good, 35 db is not unusual. If it's low, notify your ISP.

This may be turn out to be a wild goose chase, but it's easy anyway. I do this once a week, just for drill.

bfeltman

Post by bfeltman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:48 pm

The signal to noise on my connection I's 37.9dB. Seems pretty good. What else can I do?

bfeltman

Post by bfeltman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm

What about the subnet. Does the subnet of the Telo need to be different than the subnet of my router? If someone who has good knowledge of networking can help here, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:29 pm

If your Telo is behind the router (Cable Modem <- Router <- Ooma), then your Telo should be set to 'Automatic' in the Network settings. It will have the same subnet as the router.

bfeltman

Post by bfeltman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I still can't get this thing to work. I thought it was an DNS issue based on reading this blog: http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/201 ... ion-state/
I tried putting the OpenDNS IP addresses in the Telo and still nothing. I don't understand why this needs to be so difficult. I have over 15 wireless devices on my network and they all work fine. Why is the Telo such a pain?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:50 am

bfeltman wrote:I still can't get this thing to work. I thought it was an DNS issue based on reading this blog: http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/201 ... ion-state/
I tried putting the OpenDNS IP addresses in the Telo and still nothing. I don't understand why this needs to be so difficult. I have over 15 wireless devices on my network and they all work fine. Why is the Telo such a pain?
In the case of the blog post you cited, the OpenDNS IP's are put into the firewall's configuration, not that of the Telo. This is with the Telo being located behind the firewall/router.